Starsector > Lore, Fan Media & Fiction

The Lore Corner

(1/93) > >>

Dohon:
I read through all the blog posts and I especially liked the lore post called "The State of Affairs". I'm an amateur writer and I always get excited when I read deeper into an intresting and intriguing universe. Starfarer looks to be gritty, dark and slowly slipping into damnation. Which is awesome. :) Now, the blog post got me all sallivating and I have some questions. So, I was wondering if me and the other dwellers could ask some lore questions in this thread? Unless the lore is still something to be kept under wraps for now, of course. :)

Ivaylo:
Please go ahead and ask, but we will have to clear responses with the High Hegemon's Sector Media office, and that can take a while.

Dohon:
Cheers! I have compiled a small batch. Well, not exactly small. Rather large actually. Huge even. Sorry about that. In return, I promise I'll write fanfiction in the near future. Promise!

Here goes:

* How long is a sector cycle compared to a standard Terran year?
* How do ships travel around the sector? Is there some kind of hyperdrive or is it all done at sub-light speeds and using cryogenics?
* Is communication between planets instantaneaous? Or rather radio-wave speed?
* Have there been attempts to seek out other sectors? Is that even high on the agenda of Starfarer's factions?
* How big is the sector? Are there hundred of worlds? Or is more like dozens?
* How many of those worlds are 'major worlds'?
* How many worlds are under the control of the Hegemony? How do the other factions compare to that?
* How long does it take on average to reach a nearby world?
* What are the main factions? We know of the Hegemony, Tri-Tachyon and the Luddites. Are there other big league players?
* Is the Selenius system still independent?
* The Luddites abhor technology, yet are not afraid to use it. Do they consider using technology to be a temporary measure? Do they believe the sector can survive at all without UAC's and autofactories? Can their society function at this very moment? Or are they just some sort of 'terrorist group'?
* Are there still worlds that are being actively terraformed? Or is terraforming considered to be Lost-tech?
* Is there a standard template for an autofactory? Or do they differ in shapes and thus have hundreds of templates?
* Are shipyards considered to be a massive autofactory?
* Can new autofactories be constructed at all?
* Are autofactories the only way to produce things or is the sector reverting back to old school manual labor?
* Production is done by using templates provided by UAC's. How important are those to the 'tech level' of the sector? Is Tri-Tachyon doing research on its own for instance? Or are most technological innovations rediscovered instead of researched?
* Since Inferium is the sole source of space fuel, what stops the hegemony from dominating its regulation? Or is the source of Infernium far more widespread, allowing other factions to gather their fill?
* How is everyday power generated? Fusion, anti-matter? Do spaceships use the same powersource for everyday activity or is spacefuel the only thing that keeps a ship running?
* How widespread is piracy? Are we talking the glory days of the buccaneers in the Caribbean? Or are the other factions capable of keeping their main lanes secure?
* Are mercenaries organised in any way? Battletech for instance had Merc-Net, where everyone interested (and rich!) could hire a merc. Or is it more 'I know a guy' and visiting the seedier bars, thus making it more of a quest to find mercenaries?
* Are there any notorious pirates or mercenaries? The IIS Black Star seems to be quite known for instance.
* Do they still have beer in the far future? :)
* Is there currency in the sector? Is it universal and thus accepted by everyone?
* How is the chain command for the Hegemony? Do you have an admiral in charge? A leader? An oligarchy? Do they use contemporary military ranks?
* Do the Tri-Tachyon or the Luddites use a similar chain of command?
* How are ships piloted? Is it the same principle like a bridge in Star Trek? Or do the Tri-Tachyon for instance use more fancy stuff like advanced computer systems and holographics, allowing for smaller crews?
* How are captains, officers and crew trained? I imagine the Hegemony uses an academy or something, perhaps even just conscripting crew from the 'undesirables' in society. Tri-Tachyon might do more headhunting, since I believe that not every scientists is as 'adventurous' as a ship's captain. The Luddites perhaps just make do with eager volunteers. Something along these lines?
* How are marines armed? Do we have low-tech marines with ballistics, middle-tech with some laser weapon and high-tech marines covered in an exoskeleton? Or am I just going overboard? :)
* Are planetary invasions commonplace?

mendonca:
Nice questions :)

Alex:

--- Quote from: Dohon on December 29, 2011, 05:35:17 AM ---Cheers! I have compiled a small batch. Well, not exactly small. Rather large actually. Huge even. Sorry about that. In return, I promise I'll write fanfiction in the near future. Promise!

--- End quote ---

Oooh, fan fiction! I'm excited. And that is a huge list. Let me answer a few of these now just to whet your appetite, and we'll get to the rest of them soon.

--- Quote from: Dohon on December 29, 2011, 05:35:17 AM ---
* How long is a sector cycle compared to a standard Terran year?
--- End quote ---

The same. Within a cycle, standard Terran months and days are used.

* How do ships travel around the sector? Is there some kind of hyperdrive or is it all done at sub-light speeds and using cryogenics?
--- End quote ---

Hyperdrive - ships enter an alternate dimension. Though there's still a bit of internal debate about the specifics :)

* Is communication between planets instantaneaous? Or rather radio-wave speed?
--- End quote ---

Somewhere in-between - there are comm relays, and news can take days/weeks to get around.

* Have there been attempts to seek out other sectors? Is that even high on the agenda of Starfarer's factions?
--- End quote ---

Unknown. Any such attempt *would* have to use cryogenics (in hyperspace) and would be extremely dangerous.

* How big is the sector? Are there hundred of worlds? Or is more like dozens?
--- End quote ---

About 6 months to a year to traverse using hyperdrive. Aiming for ~1k star systems, but that could change appreciably in either direction.

* How many of those worlds are 'major worlds'?
--- End quote ---

We're calling them "core worlds", and there are ~20. There's no colonization going on anymore - that's beyond human capability now. So any core world that's lost - whether due to the collapse of authority, war, or large-scale industrial sabotage - is a permanent blow against human civilization in the Sector.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version