Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52

Author Topic: Starfarer 0.54a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 365008 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer 0.54a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #750 on: December 06, 2012, 01:37:24 PM »

Went through and removed most references to multiplayer. There are about 20 topics about that in the suggestions forum, and it's clearly off-topic here. And then there's a bunch more off-topic stuff before that. Seriously, guys. You're free to talk about this stuff, but in the release thread, let's at least try to have each post have something related to the release in it.

I do wonder if you'll have social interactions with your Officers similarly to Mount and Blade or in a Bioware game or whether your relationship will be purely statistic, such as in Leylines or Endless Space.  Both offer different possibilities, the latter is possibly preferable for long term playability in a procedurally generated sector.

Actually looking at that now. Nothing concrete to report yet, but exploring the possibilities is interesting.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: December 06, 2012, 02:34:11 PM »

I do wonder if you'll have social interactions with your Officers similarly to Mount and Blade or in a Bioware game or whether your relationship will be purely statistic, such as in Leylines or Endless Space.  Both offer different possibilities, the latter is possibly preferable for long term playability in a procedurally generated sector.

Actually looking at that now. Nothing concrete to report yet, but exploring the possibilities is interesting.

The total war series had a fun implementation of that. Basically just statistics, but so nicely wrapped and sensible to influences that you could get attached to your generals anyhow.

Oh and, regardless of everything else, the most important feature of the officer system is the ability to kick them out of the airlock! I just had a damn venture captain destroy an enemy wile I floated beside him with flamed-out engines, killing me too. That's really frustrating in iron mode. Since the responsible officers would not confess I had to vent my entire crew into space, poor bastards.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 03:12:21 PM by Gothars »
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

ArkAngel

• Captain
  • The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: December 07, 2012, 05:59:39 AM »

I do wonder if you'll have social interactions with your Officers similarly to Mount and Blade or in a Bioware game or whether your relationship will be purely statistic, such as in Leylines or Endless Space.  Both offer different possibilities, the latter is possibly preferable for long term playability in a procedurally generated sector.

[/quote]

Having bad relations with crew could end up in mutiny and such. Wil be nice to see how this pans out.
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."

Rogal Dorn

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: December 08, 2012, 06:16:25 PM »

This talk of relations between officers and you reminds me of Crusader Kings II.
That would be a great thing to base them off of, especially if you made your skills effect how much they liked you.
Also if you ever make own able planets and the like, CK2 would yet again be a good place for inspiration.

Also forgive my ignorance, but does industry do anything? I have found no references to it other than the character screen.

Chancellor Meatsteak

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: December 08, 2012, 06:39:37 PM »

Also forgive my ignorance, but does industry do anything? I have found no references to it other than the character screen.

Welcome to the forums! Enjoy your stay and don't ask for multiplayer, it has become sort of a taboo around here.

Industry doesn't do anything yet because the features associated with it; like mining asteroids, building outposts, setting up trade routes, etc; have yet to be implemented. You can probably expect it to gain skills in future updates.

Squigzilla

• Commander
  • SQUIG Industries
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: December 10, 2012, 11:09:15 AM »

Welcome to the forums, Dorn!  The Emperor protects... but not against Reaper torpedoes.  Flak is pretty good at that though.  ;D

One quick question (slightly off topic, but still related to this release): is there a place I can find a list of the skills and associated perks?  My computer broke so I can't play SF for the time being, but I'd like to take a look at some possible character builds while I'm looking for a replacement.
High Admiral Davian MacNaile of the SQUIG Industries Human Resources Motivational Flotilla

firstattak1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: December 10, 2012, 04:59:25 PM »

^^
I agree, someone needs to make a "Level designer" for this. So we can plan what skills and points we use.

Starlight

• Commander
  • Vulpes Ex Machina
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: December 10, 2012, 10:34:56 PM »

Alex, noted a minor issue with the current build in regards to modding in HullMods.  When I updated my HullMods I wanted to make them skill-dependant, but doing so requires me to completely override default skills in my own mods - posting a minimised file with just the addtions does not append but replaces the skill lacking its usual functionality.  Getting a HM to unlock at L2 of Flux Dynamics for examples requires me to copypasta the entire FD skill (or it FD wont work properly,) which for a game in development, is not really sustainable (every time you make an adjustment, I'd have to spot the change and re-copy the .skill file, which shouldn't even be the case.) 

That leaves three options;  1. Any custom HullMods being immediately available (and that would be like we've made no progress at all! (in this little area,))  2. The .skill files working more like the player.faction etc. files where if something isn't mentioned, it's assumed to be default or otherwise, 3. Assuming doing so works at present, I make my own skill to tie my HM's into ("Starlight Tech") which I can also see some potential for - if it could be arranged so that the skill has to be unlocked by buying a book or something from one of my shipyards.

I'm already tempted to work on option 3 there, since I'm not happy with the way I've done it now and skills are something I haven't made one of yet.  Just wondering if option 2 is going to be a likely change we're going to see because that would allow modders in general more flexibility. 

Oh and if this should have gone in the Modding forum, my apologies, it just seemed relevant here because it's about the latest patch and its new additions.
Starlight; Vulpine Space-Adventurer.  Fond of lasers.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: December 11, 2012, 05:10:23 AM »

This is the announcement thread, so let me make an announcement:

*drum roll*

The First Starfarer Short Story contest is in the voting phase! So come to this thread, read the stories and vote for your favorites!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: December 11, 2012, 09:36:01 AM »

@Starlight: Thanks for bringing this up. You'r right, #2 ought to be an option - added that to my list for the next release. #3 - you may run into trouble keying skills to an item, there's nothing to support that type of connection yet.

@Gothars: On the one hand, so off-topic. On the other hand, stories, monocles, and hats. And hats usually win :)

Blips

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: December 11, 2012, 09:36:48 AM »

This is the announcement thread, so let me make an announcement:

*drum roll*

The First Starfarer Short Story contest is in the voting phase! So come to this thread, read the stories and vote for your favorites!

No, this is the 0.54a update thread. This thread has nothing to do with short story contests.  ::) ::) ::)

Brainbread

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: December 11, 2012, 11:26:06 AM »

@Starlight: Thanks for bringing this up. You'r right, #2 ought to be an option - added that to my list for the next release. #3 - you may run into trouble keying skills to an item, there's nothing to support that type of connection yet.

I am hoping that there will be hullmods tied to reputation with certain factions as well (when you're able to increase your rep with said factions), though being able to tie hullmods to an item would be interesting - like adding "rare" loot to find.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: December 13, 2012, 07:02:50 PM »

Hey Alex, do you actually plan to do some kind of balance/bugfixing .1 release or will the next update be a another big feature update some time away? I don't think a bugfix release is really needed, but I have seen some deviating assumptions in the forum.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: December 13, 2012, 07:55:12 PM »

Hey Alex, do you actually plan to do some kind of balance/bugfixing .1 release or will the next update be a another big feature update some time away? I don't think a bugfix release is really needed, but I have seen some deviating assumptions in the forum.

Yes, there'll be a .1 release. Since there's nothing urgent (though there are a few modding-related fixes/features I'd like to put out soon-ish), I'm not rushing it - but rather fixing things here and there, while also doing some prototyping-type work for the next feature release. So, even though the .1 isn't out yet, technically work has already started on the release after that :)

The change log for the .1 release is actually pretty sizable already. I'll see about posting it tomorrow.

DJ Die

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: December 14, 2012, 06:32:12 AM »

Yes, there'll be a .1 release. Since there's nothing urgent (though there are a few modding-related fixes/features I'd like to put out soon-ish), I'm not rushing it - but rather fixing things here and there, while also doing some prototyping-type work for the next feature release. So, even though the .1 isn't out yet, technically work has already started on the release after that :)

The change log for the .1 release is actually pretty sizable already. I'll see about posting it tomorrow.
ah thats were good to hear cant wait for both of those patches
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52