Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 52

Author Topic: Starfarer 0.54a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 365014 times)

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer 0.54a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #705 on: November 28, 2012, 10:28:51 PM »

That's the choice you have to make. Do you want a few highly advanced ships, or a lot of not so advanced ships.

+10

Mattk50

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: November 28, 2012, 10:55:27 PM »

guh. not a fan of the limit as is. mount and blade's party restrictions were bad enough.

DJ Die

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: November 28, 2012, 11:52:47 PM »

hmmm perhaps you could get one free FP every 2 levels just like the aptitudes...but make it every odd one instead....you wouldnt get all that many and if you want a large fleet you have to put points in the command?(the green apt) anyway

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: November 29, 2012, 02:11:13 AM »

Limitless progression is something very common in the "new" wave of casual games. Choices and limits are what makes games hard, challenging and in the end fun, imo.

Mattk50

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: November 29, 2012, 02:29:36 AM »

Limits such as "this is your speed limit" and "you cant fit more than this many guns on this" is one thing. But the whole fleet point system just feels arbitrary. I still think that down the line this system will be able to be wholly replaced by more flexible systems, backed by an ingame economy or support something like that, and the leadership progression can be moved to more stuff such as keeping down compounded costs on running a fleet of a certain size.  (this already kinda but not really happens, because its more of a hard cap in disguise and costs multiply out of control too quickly, and that soft cap stays stationary.)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 02:37:42 AM by Mattk50 »

DJ Die

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: November 29, 2012, 03:03:53 AM »

Limitless progression is something very common in the "new" wave of casual games. Choices and limits are what makes games hard, challenging and in the end fun, imo.
well as mattk50 already said we have limits and quite hard ones youre simply not going to turn a lasher into a battleships no matter how hard you try and how much exp and money you invest into it
that said youd only get what.....20? extra FP with if you get one free FP every odd level in your average game because after lvl 40 the soft cap kicks in and its rather hard to level up faster
you will still be rather limited when it comes to fleet size but not severely hampered
also the main source of firepower will still be your flagship unless you train nothing but industry and command apts and skills

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: November 29, 2012, 03:46:47 AM »

I think Getting FP every odd level would be ***, we already have 180 FP maxed out and you start with 35 which is more then enough, and that is at like level 20 which takes an hour or so to reach unless you dropped your first aptitudes in leadership when you made your character, you DON'T need more.(although it would be nice to have a humongous fleet ;D)

and by the time you are level 40 which takes half a day if you are fast, you will have 2 aptitude trees with maxed out skills you need from those tree, so in truth, you don't need that extra odd SP at all. and at level 60, if anyone bothers to push themselves that far, you will have all and every skill maxed.

so i don't really understand the point with your 3 comments above suggestion.

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: November 29, 2012, 04:54:55 AM »

Level progress won't be fast as now. I do not think that other aptitudes and skills have such big influence as Leadership. So with maxed out Leadership and skills you have 180FP (right?) and with maxed out combat you have 38FP? I do not think that fleet with 38FP can beat up fleet with 180FP. Leadership vs Technology = Leadership wins.

It looks like that game forces you to invest in Leadership.
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

zakastra

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: November 29, 2012, 05:20:29 AM »

Level progress won't be fast as now. I do not think that other aptitudes and skills have such big influence as Leadership. So with maxed out Leadership and skills you have 180FP (right?) and with maxed out combat you have 38FP? I do not think that fleet with 38FP can beat up fleet with 180FP. Leadership vs Technology = Leadership wins.

It looks like that game forces you to invest in Leadership.

You wont be able to have anywhere close to 180 FP deployed at the same time, The big fleet will have a hell of a lot of reserves, sure,  but fill out all of technology and Combat and then carefully outfit a paragon, and you will be astounded by how ruthlessly it tears up everything.
Oh DRM, bane of the carrier captain...

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: November 29, 2012, 05:27:33 AM »

You wont be able to have anywhere close to 180 FP deployed at the same time, The big fleet will have a hell of a lot of reserves, sure,  but fill out all of technology and Combat and then carefully outfit a paragon, and you will be astounded by how ruthlessly it tears up everything.
Lol i forgot about that.
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

firstattak1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: November 29, 2012, 06:22:05 AM »

An I the only one who doesn't think leveling is really fast? I have been playing for the past 4 days and I am only 18~? I'm not saying its fine where it is but you guys act like its going extremely fast.
Which is why I made my segestion

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: November 29, 2012, 07:07:35 AM »

I got to level 44 in one day, if you look in discussions/General discussions (don't know which one) thread, "your current campaign level and character" you will see it.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 08:25:51 AM by ValkyriaL »

Aleskander

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: November 29, 2012, 07:45:00 AM »

An I the only one who doesn't think leveling is really fast? I have been playing for the past 4 days and I am only 18~? I'm not saying its fine where it is but you guys act like its going extremely fast.
Which is why I made my segestion

How long do you play per day?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: November 29, 2012, 09:02:35 AM »

That can all get addressed by mods or by a relatively easy change to the battlefield code, getting rid of the dribbling reinforcements problem.

I've seen you mention this a couple of times, I think. Could you elaborate a bit on the specific circumstances? I have a hard time seeing how it would happen.

Let's say you've got the enemy reduced to 40 FP maximum deployed. They either 1) don't have any ships out on the map, and would thus deploy 40 FP worth at once - which may still be insufficient - or 2) they *do* have some ships out, so the choice they face is abandoning/retreating those ships vs trying to reinforce as they can. Neither option is a particularly good one, and it seems to be an issue with it being a lopsided battle more than anything else.

It would be nice to have a readout under your character screen showing a list of the different bonuses you get from your stuff.

Hmm. Those types of things sound really nice in theory, but end up really cluttered. It's tough to present that much information well.

I think the skill screen itself actually accomplishes this goal, anyway - it gives you a high-level overview of the bonuses by showing which skills you *have*, and then you can drill down into the specifics by mousing over each one. Any kind of "skill digest" would probably have to make use of similar mechanics.

Re: fleet points - the point is that you do have a choice of whether you're able to command a large fleet, and it's not something you just get by playing longer. On the flip side, this means you're not forced to command a large fleet if that's not your style - "forced" because it'd frequently be a more effective option. Because of this, piloted-ship-only skills can also be powerful enough since they can reasonably assume either a smaller, or a less tricked-out fleet. As for being "arbitrary", they're no more so than hitpoints or damage values. As hitpoints are a representation of your ship's overall structural integrity, fleet points are a representation of an aspect of your character's command ability.

In purely pragmatic terms, the game's being designed around certain fleet sizes. Having a huge fleet that steamrolls everything would ultimately be detrimental to the experience. Further still, if you really want to try this out, just for fun, far be it from me to tell you you can't - it's trivially easy to edit the starting fleet point values in settings.json. Obviously, the game isn't going to be balanced around that.

Limits such as "this is your speed limit" and "you cant fit more than this many guns on this" is one thing. But the whole fleet point system just feels arbitrary. I still think that down the line this system will be able to be wholly replaced by more flexible systems, backed by an ingame economy or support something like that, and the leadership progression can be moved to more stuff such as keeping down compounded costs on running a fleet of a certain size.  (this already kinda but not really happens, because its more of a hard cap in disguise and costs multiply out of control too quickly, and that soft cap stays stationary.)

Yeah, something like that is a possibility.

firstattak1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: November 29, 2012, 09:59:25 AM »

I see what you guys mean. It's just I havnt been leveling up extremely fast, and I feel that it's a waist of a point, but I want a bigger fleet, well just as a suggestion that ill leave, how about you buy reaserch to make your fleet bigger? Like when industry gets added? Or maybe your  personnel makes it larger? Because to me it doesn't feel right to keep it a perk.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 52