Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 52

Author Topic: Starfarer 0.54a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 365022 times)

Gaizokubanou

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer 0.54a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #690 on: November 28, 2012, 12:38:51 AM »

I think that leveling is way to fast  ;D

Every progression (well, we only have 2 as of now, level and fleet/ship size) in current version is way too ridiculously fast because right now the game have zero pacing.  Every single object being crammed into single system with single method (combat) of item acquisition can do that.

I imagine that in more complete version of the campaign, battles will be smaller early on and less numerous, with ship captures being rarer with lot of non-combat activities for players to sink their time into for overall better pacing.

Sunfire

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: November 28, 2012, 05:21:40 AM »

I think that leveling is way to fast  ;D

Every progression (well, we only have 2 as of now, level and fleet/ship size) in current version is way too ridiculously fast because right now the game have zero pacing.  Every single object being crammed into single system with single method (combat) of item acquisition can do that.

I imagine that in more complete version of the campaign, battles will be smaller early on and less numerous, with ship captures being rarer with lot of non-combat activities for players to sink their time into for overall better pacing.

As well, I have a feeling that the spawn rates will be much lower when there are multiple systems and so there wont be so much fighting in certain systems, where you can trade etc...

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: November 28, 2012, 06:20:06 AM »

High level systems will probably be war torn with many large elite fleets banging their heads together while the low ones contains pirates that doesn't know how to fit their ships right and are generally suicidal. ;D

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: November 28, 2012, 07:30:55 AM »

Hey Alex, a long-term Question if I may: Do you envision the modding tools in the final game to be sufficient for a modder to tell a story? Regardless of form: mission, campaign, quest. That's what I would really love to do in a mod.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: November 28, 2012, 08:47:50 AM »

Hey Alex, a long-term Question if I may: Do you envision the modding tools in the final game to be sufficient for a modder to tell a story? Regardless of form: mission, campaign, quest. That's what I would really love to do in a mod.

You know, I really can't say just yet. What's moddable is dependent on what the core game is going to require in terms of architecture - my general point of view is that Starfarer is a game rather than an engine. Which is a bit of a "duh".

That said, I'd very much like to allow that. And as much other stuff as I can :)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: November 28, 2012, 09:14:59 AM »

You know, I really can't say just yet. What's moddable is dependent on what the core game is going to require in terms of architecture - my general point of view is that Starfarer is a game rather than an engine. Which is a bit of a "duh".

That said, I'd very much like to allow that. And as much other stuff as I can :)

That reads as if you are not yet decided if your game will feature any major narrative elements. Well, then now I have double reason to hope that it will :)

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: November 28, 2012, 10:36:18 AM »

I think it would be cool if Starfarer's narrative followed a structure of branching missions and stuff driven by the player's failure or success. Or if it was entirely emergent, as in a roguelike. Sometimes a game creates its own stories and characters - how many of you haven't grown ridiculously attached to your soldiers in xcom, or ascribed some horrible, nasty personality to a randomly spawned lich in dungeon crawl, and so on? Given the fact that AI captains are supposed to have personalities, there could be at least some of this, down the road.

DJ Die

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: November 28, 2012, 11:16:48 AM »

alex: regarding the exp have you thought about some ratio system when it comes to the size of opposing fleets? i mean you should get more exp if your 2 frigates with 6FP total beat a 12FP cruiser than if you roflstomp the same cruiser with a 20FP onslaught.....

Talkie Toaster

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: November 28, 2012, 11:42:09 AM »

alex: regarding the exp have you thought about some ratio system when it comes to the size of opposing fleets? i mean you should get more exp if your 2 frigates with 6FP total beat a 12FP cruiser than if you roflstomp the same cruiser with a 20FP onslaught.....
It makes more sense to do it by the level of captain the fleet has. A level 40 PC who's specced for combat in a decent frigate or destroyer can kill cruisers as effectively as a level 40 PC with a fleet.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: November 28, 2012, 11:46:46 AM »

Yeah, I'll definitely adjust the calculation. In particular, rewarding a greater challenge seems like a good idea.

It makes more sense to do it by the level of captain the fleet has. A level 40 PC who's specced for combat in a decent frigate or destroyer can kill cruisers as effectively as a level 40 PC with a fleet.

Right, that's the tricky part - figuring out how challenging it actually was. The fact that you lost ships doing it is one metric for that, actually :)

As for level, that may not work so well if the PC is specced in industry. Besides, being higher-level already makes advancement slower by virtue of it requiring more XP. Making combat XP gain inversely-level-based seems redundant.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: November 28, 2012, 02:06:33 PM »

I know that the relative weakness of the AI fleets is just  until it gets skills, but would you consider a little temporarily solution for making it respect player level in the upcoming patch? Just something like for every 10 levels the fleet is seen as 50% bigger. It feels really weird right now to be constantly attacked by opponents that are no more than a 30 sec nuisance.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: November 28, 2012, 03:26:32 PM »

That can all get addressed by mods or by a relatively easy change to the battlefield code, getting rid of the dribbling reinforcements problem.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: November 28, 2012, 08:18:17 PM »

It would be nice to have a readout under your character screen showing a list of the different bonuses you get from your stuff.

firstattak1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: November 28, 2012, 09:29:00 PM »

So I was thinking maybe some items like fleet points shouldn't be gained trough perks but through natural leveling up, because at this rate you have to put points into leadership otherwise your stuck with only a few ships before your too big. I ran into this problem after trying to do a technology build, I can only have 1 cruiser and 2 frigates, which is really rough, so now I have to put points into leadership to get more fleet. So just make it so every level you get 2-7 fleet points.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: November 28, 2012, 09:52:16 PM »

That's the choice you have to make. Do you want a few highly advanced ships, or a lot of not so advanced ships.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 52