Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 52

Author Topic: Starfarer 0.54a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 367354 times)

Movementcat

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer 0.54a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #675 on: November 27, 2012, 04:13:38 AM »

Great Patch ! im Level 40 and have only 3 Ships Paragon, Hyperion and i dont remember the name. And i own EVERY Pirate Fleet or Tachyon fleet, only Hegemony Main deff is a Problem.

But i think Level up need a bit to long. But anyways nice Patch. And i saw the Sneak Peak on the SkillTree:-)

ArkAngel

• Captain
  • The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: November 27, 2012, 05:01:44 AM »

You have to remember the leveling system is going to want to try to last close to the games "end" ( according to Alex in an interview there will be a point in which the sector just dies out. But you can still play in it. So no absolute end?)
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: November 27, 2012, 05:02:57 AM »

Level up faster? are you mental? i hit lvl 50 in one day, its good as it is, it should be slowed down if nothing else. leveling up to fast just removes the joy of achieving a new level which completely removes the purpose of the leveling system.

And a bit of Off topic... OH YEAH I'm an admiral! Private army and my own sailing ship waiting for me as well as a golden cup of coffee!

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: November 27, 2012, 05:52:58 AM »

Level up faster? are you mental? i hit lvl 50 in one day, its good as it is, it should be slowed down if nothing else. leveling up to fast just removes the joy of achieving a new level which completely removes the purpose of the leveling system.
Look his post:
Great Patch ! im Level 40 and have only 3 Ships Paragon, Hyperion and i dont remember the name. And i own EVERY Pirate Fleet or Tachyon fleet, only Hegemony Main deff is a Problem.

But i think Level up need a bit to long. But anyways nice Patch. And i saw the Sneak Peak on the SkillTree:-)
I think he is trying to say that leveling should be a bit longer.
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

Leyammon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: November 27, 2012, 06:55:51 AM »

I'm just waiting for an MMO that combines space and land battles perfectly and it's just not happening. The space travel of EVE with the space battles of something of a mix between FTL, Starfarer and X, planetary conflict and control like Planetary Annihilation and Sins of A Solar Empire, ground combat kind of like the Force Unleashed, Halo and Starforge, destruction physics for entire planets and any structure built on them like Red Faction: Guerilla, city and colony building like SimCity and the ability to land on planets directly and dynamically without loading anything... beautiful... All of those developers should team up and make perfection...

So, uh, Dust 514?
It pretty much describes what you want, within the boundaries of today's technology

I know what Dust is but it's not what I'm waiting for.
It's more of an expansion pack to be honest and you have to switch from pc to PS3 to even play it. I'm waiting for something that is literally everything on that list.
Doesn't need great graphics... just sort of average... ish... that will be the day...

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: November 27, 2012, 07:09:42 AM »

Hmm... Need a bit to long... O.o? it looks to me that he thinks leveling up takes to long but i could be wrong there, in that case im sorry.

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: November 27, 2012, 07:34:07 AM »

I think that leveling is way to fast  ;D
Creator of:

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: November 27, 2012, 07:38:38 AM »

It is isn't it? but that's only until you hit lvl 40 tho... then it REALLY slows down... i took the time, it took me as long or even longer to get from 40-50 as it took to get from 1-40

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: November 27, 2012, 08:10:16 AM »

But lvl 40 i one or two days is a really to fast. It's 20 AP and 80SP right? That is 2 max out aptitudes and 8 max out skills. In 2 days. Too fast. For me at least.
Creator of:

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: November 27, 2012, 08:27:28 AM »

It will almost surely slow down as time goes on. XP gain will only increase as more ways to get it are implemented. It's probably just the way it is so things can be tested quickly.

First pass and all that.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: November 27, 2012, 08:29:35 AM »

Yes, way too fast, but that is true for every aspect of the game, like obtaining ships and money. Corvus is very condensed, content and time wise. It would be boring otherwise, considering there's not that much to see yet. I expect everything to run much slower once the universe grows.

That's one of the downsides of an open paid beta, Alex can't just try to balance everything towards the end goal he has in mind but also has to think about how things can be kept interesting in the meantime.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: November 27, 2012, 08:32:01 AM »

I concur with you two  ;D
Creator of:

LazyWizard

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub Profile
« Reply #687 on: November 27, 2012, 09:39:15 AM »

I love this update. Iron mode made combat tense again, and with the new skill trees my play style (very small fleets) feels like a viable choice rather than artificially limiting myself - Technology is awesome. :)

Would it be possible to sneak an isInCampaign() method in with the next hotfix? This would make it much easier to avoid NPEs in missions for hullmods/combat abilities that assume the existence of a player fleet/cargo/faction relations/etc.

StahnAileron

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: November 27, 2012, 05:21:54 PM »

[...] the downsides of an open paid beta [...]

We're not even that far yet. The game is still in alpha, afterall. Beta implies all of the main game is implemented and is under testing for bugs, tweaks, adjustments, balancing, and minor feature additions/changes.

As for the EXP thing: yes, it's fast up until you hit the soft level cap (the point where the EXP needed/level starts to sky rocket). My first char hit level 46. It will now take me ~20 Heg Def Fleets, killing ALL ships, to hit 47.

BTW, EXP is tied to fleet point cost. 1 FP = 250XP, for anyone curious. This is the reason why Heg Def and the various Supply fleets are the best things to stalk in the current "late game" (LVL 30 or so and up.) They have the highest base FP cost and are scheduled to appear consistently. (I've started judging my leveling rate as needing "X number of Y type fleets" instead of the raw XP required.) The start of the game levels you fairly well to get you started (Buffalo mk2 is completely living up to its purpose now, ain't it? ^_~) I think once more gameplay is added, the leveling will scale back and slow down once in the mid levels (like starting in the double digits.) On the other hand, it depends on how much content will be in the game and what Alex plans as an average single play session. Most of the JRPG's I've played do about 1 level for every 30 minutes of standard game play (i.e. no purposeful grinding, no avoiding every fight if possible.) They scale back once you hit the intended "end game level" you should be at to beat the game without TOO much difficulty. After that point, you need to find XP bonus multipliers, a hidden dungeon, or something along those lines to efficiently level grind.

Example: ToG:F for PS3 requires you to be either in the post-game bonus dungeon or in the end-game area of the epilogue story arc on MAX difficulty to max your char levels (200 in this game). If you didn't, it takes quite a while to max out. Funny enough, this doesn't take into account maxing your stats and skills, though. That was another, separate system. It ran in parallel to that standard leveling system.

Anyway, the level pacing in the current build is probably on purpose to help test skills: how strong they are, what level featurews should be available at, etc. Alex will probably revamp the skill system at some point for better balancing. Now would be a good time to get feedback on the basic system by letting players access the features quickly (especially without a respec function, so if you want to test out a different build, you need a brand new char to build up.)

It works for what thestate the game is in now. Never forget: the game is still under development and is nowhere near a finished product.

DJ Die

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: November 27, 2012, 11:03:48 PM »

well leveling is very good there might be few more perks to invent but thats about it...however i think that levels before lvl40 should take a bit longer say to get....say between lvl 10 and 40 and level after 40 could be a bit faster so it doesnt take as someone said 20sys defs ;D 15 should suffice i think 8) but we will see how the campaign will turn out...there could be a lot more to kill too
but i dont know the formula for exp required per level does anyone of you know where is it stored?
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 52