Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 52

Author Topic: Starfarer 0.54a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 367423 times)

dogboy123

• Captain
  • Boron military barracuda
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer 0.54a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #645 on: November 25, 2012, 04:01:46 PM »

So if one specs into tech with a side of combat and solos Hegemony's massive defense fleet with only a paragon (not that a paragon is an ONLY), is it overpowered (only took sliver of damage to hull) or just damn fun.

Okay I did take my faithful Hound with me to capture the first of four pts, but he didn't last long...I'll miss you Captain Meeko.

P.S.  Loving the new skills
Meeko is the name of that stray dog is Skyrim :'(, that dog has a really sad backstory.
"I'm expecting an all-out tactical dogfight... followed by a light dinner.

Pentakill

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: November 25, 2012, 05:12:50 PM »

I still find myself grumbling every time I crack open another update and still find the Tri-Base barren of good capitals or cruisers.
Where's my Paragon, my Astral, and my Aurora? :(

Seeing them fly around and trying to take them is equally hopeless as the "drop" rate for ships is low enough that trying to pick one out is nigh impossible. I've tried several time to weaken a ship to breaking point to kill the crew off so when it leaves the battle I can capture it with "No Battle Ready Ships" but that's a slow, laborious, and often fruitless solution.

I know I can go into the code and change spawn rates for ships in the bases but i'd much rather see a chance in the game, without having to do it myself. Is the problem that i'm just impatient or have others felt this way too?

Perhaps in the next update a way to commission ships to be built? :D pretty please Alex, make this Starfaring Captain an even happier camper :)

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: November 25, 2012, 05:28:26 PM »

When industry kicks in, you can build your own Onslaught, will most likely require you to chop of your hands and sell em to acquire the blueprint chip for it. as that chips prize tag will most likely "hopefully" have numbers in the millions.

StahnAileron

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: November 25, 2012, 05:37:36 PM »

I wound up having to save-scum capturing a Patagon via Auto-battles once I got it alone. I know save-scumming is a curse word to some users, but that's beside the point. It';s the easiest way to get s rare ship in vanilla SF (i.e. without mods). I did it mainly to see how messed up a Paragon is with most of my offense-focused skill maxed: 525 OP, reduced-OP weapons, increased DMG, improved shields, etc.

As a previous post mentions, it can solo an entire Heg Def Fleet by itself. Not quite steamroll it, though it definitely feels like it during the initial wave of fighters and frigates.

Actually, Alex, will the AI have access to the same skill-set players do at some point? The enemy fleets seem static (i.e. vanilla/basic) compared tothe progession the player gets. I'm just wondering if the AI might get some of the skills in another version of the game depending on player level and/or location (once interstellar travel is implemented).

...There was something else I wanted to ask, but now I forgot...

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: November 25, 2012, 05:52:13 PM »

Actually, Alex, will the AI have access to the same skill-set players do at some point? The enemy fleets seem static (i.e. vanilla/basic) compared tothe progession the player gets. I'm just wondering if the AI might get some of the skills in another version of the game depending on player level and/or location (once interstellar travel is implemented).

That's very likely. Having experienced (read: skilled, as in with various relevant skills) enemy captains seems like a good way to up the challenge - potentially dramatically - without resorting to having the enemies cheat or throw extremely large amounts of ships at you.

Perhaps in the next update a way to commission ships to be built? :D pretty please Alex, make this Starfaring Captain an even happier camper :)

Actually - this is probably not what you want to hear, but the update that makes significant inroads into the "real" campaign is likely to *not* have all the ships/weapons/etc available in it. It'll take more time to build out the world in such a way that all the content is available without feeling crammed in, the way things are now in the one system.

We'll have to see about the specifics, though.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: November 25, 2012, 05:53:56 PM »

Why not make the system map bigger and add maybe 2, or even three stars in it?
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: November 25, 2012, 05:56:07 PM »

Let's put it this way - I expect the process to be more transformative than additive.

Ambient

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: November 25, 2012, 06:46:01 PM »

I just wanted to say that after this last update the game has been even more of a blast to play.

Cant wait for further releases with more content!

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: November 25, 2012, 06:48:44 PM »

Let's put it this way - I expect the process to be more transformative than additive.
Just sort of as a temporary fix. :) Or you can reduce fleet speeds and planet sizes and cram more systems into that one. ;D

And yea, I'm enjoying the character update a lot!  Probably one of the best weekends, if not thanksgiving, I've had for a while. :)
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Pentakill

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: November 25, 2012, 07:11:50 PM »

Actually - this is probably not what you want to hear, but the update that makes significant inroads into the "real" campaign is likely to *not* have all the ships/weapons/etc available in it. It'll take more time to build out the world in such a way that all the content is available without feeling crammed in, the way things are now in the one system.

We'll have to see about the specifics, though.

So what I think you're saying is that we will need to travel multiple systems to acquire the needed blueprints, materials, and possibly stations to make a single ship? And the bigger and more advanced the ship the farther we'll have to go, the more we'll need, ect.?
I'm not sure if you're even close to an answer but i'll ask anyway, any idea what we might see in the first star system? And how many it might take to see larger ships and larger fleets?
And a final question, when we start every game, will we always see low tier Heg ships, then Independents, then Tri, cause I think it would be cool to choose where we start.
For example starting as:
1 a loner in a random location
2 a techy in Tri space
3 a trader in Independent space (if they have their own dedicated star systems)
4 a soldier in Heg space
5 a pirate is pirate space (if they have their own dedicated star systems)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: November 25, 2012, 07:18:40 PM »

Now, those are exactly the kind of specifics I don't want to get into - that would only lead to trouble :)

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: November 25, 2012, 07:42:35 PM »

My 2 cents on the topic of multiple systems (from the front page):

Cripple core world supply lines to cause chaos and create easy prey for piracy or bolster the rule of law and try to reverse the sector’s descent into anarchy

Impact the fate of the sector with your decisions and leave a permanent mark in the world

Thats what convinced me to buy the game. Right now the campaign is very static, but once its a complex, dynamic, and dying sector I think this game is going to go to a whole new level! (No pressure ;))

ArkAngel

• Captain
  • The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: November 25, 2012, 08:32:11 PM »

With the new iron mode there's that moment of success yo in capturing a paragon and when no having anywhere near the amount of Crew and then it getting sabatoged. It's / heart breaking really. Dang you Alex and your insanely addicting wonderfully evil game!  ;D
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."

StahnAileron

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: November 26, 2012, 02:33:33 AM »

That's very likely. Having experienced (read: skilled, as in with various relevant skills) enemy captains seems like a good way to up the challenge - potentially dramatically - without resorting to having the enemies cheat or throw extremely large amounts of ships at you.

Oh, yay! I'm assuming EXP would scale with fleet captain/admiral "rank" (or level) for those that do have skills, right? Would they pull from the exact same skillset as the player? Or will they have access to unique skills, limited skills, or reduced bonus skills? I ask because I know of some games that give the AI only limited access to the same skillset as the player since the AI can react with no lag, making some skill combos kinda "broken" in AI hands.

Oh, and I just remembered what my forgotten question was: What will the EXP progression be like? Currently, I'm in the mid-40's. Going from 45 to 46 requires about 750k exp. The best EXP fight are Heg Def Fleets @ 40k-50k on average. Are you intending to make extreme high levels impractical or is this just a current side-effect of not having much of game implemented yet, so we're lacking sources of EXP from higher ranking sources (like the aforementioned "experienced enemy captains")? And in regards to EXP, is there a level cap? Or will this be like SPAZ where the level cap is only when the player decide to stop grinding? If it's tied to AP, I'm guessing the limit would be around the mid 70's from a practical viewpoint. (With only 4 aptitudes at 10 levels each, 40 AP is all you need to max them all, so level 80 would've been the absolute max for that. Lower since you have to account for starting points given to you.)

Lastly, will we be able to re-spec a character we've built up later? I sometimes want to try out new char builds, but don't necessarily like having to replay an entire game just to test out a char build. In-game, I can kinda see this as a special "memory adjustment service". Pay a price to have your char respec'ed, but you either have to forgo EXP for a little while while your "new memories" settle in or have a chance losing a level or two and the poins that go with them. (SPAZ had a in-game re-spec penalty of having to sacrifice new exp up to a set threshold before it starts counting towards your char progression again.)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: November 26, 2012, 09:48:25 AM »

Oh, yay! I'm assuming EXP would scale with fleet captain/admiral "rank" (or level) for those that do have skills, right? Would they pull from the exact same skillset as the player? Or will they have access to unique skills, limited skills, or reduced bonus skills? I ask because I know of some games that give the AI only limited access to the same skillset as the player since the AI can react with no lag, making some skill combos kinda "broken" in AI hands.

Ah, once again, details I don't want to discuss until I'm reasonably sure how they'll actually work :) I will say that the "lag" issue seems more relevant for active skills, which there aren't any of.

Oh, and I just remembered what my forgotten question was: What will the EXP progression be like? Currently, I'm in the mid-40's. Going from 45 to 46 requires about 750k exp. The best EXP fight are Heg Def Fleets @ 40k-50k on average. Are you intending to make extreme high levels impractical or is this just a current side-effect of not having much of game implemented yet, so we're lacking sources of EXP from higher ranking sources (like the aforementioned "experienced enemy captains")? And in regards to EXP, is there a level cap? Or will this be like SPAZ where the level cap is only when the player decide to stop grinding? If it's tied to AP, I'm guessing the limit would be around the mid 70's from a practical viewpoint. (With only 4 aptitudes at 10 levels each, 40 AP is all you need to max them all, so level 80 would've been the absolute max for that. Lower since you have to account for starting points given to you.)

There's a soft cap. What you're describing is pretty much you running into it. Ultimately, I'd like the player to have ~25 AP total, from all sources, and around 4x that worth of SP. Maybe a *few* more if they play for an exceptionally long time. Basically, think of it this way - you get to max 2 aptitudes, and 4 skills within each (or however you want to distribute that). Beyond this, the gains will slow down dramatically, so anything there is more of an added bonus than anything you can reasonably plan on getting.

Lastly, will we be able to re-spec a character we've built up later? I sometimes want to try out new char builds, but don't necessarily like having to replay an entire game just to test out a char build. In-game, I can kinda see this as a special "memory adjustment service". Pay a price to have your char respec'ed, but you either have to forgo EXP for a little while while your "new memories" settle in or have a chance losing a level or two and the poins that go with them. (SPAZ had a in-game re-spec penalty of having to sacrifice new exp up to a set threshold before it starts counting towards your char progression again.)

Undecided. It gets tricky when dealing with skills that potentially allowed you to change the game world (such as, "you can command X more outposts now" - what happens when you respec? This isn't a concrete example, just an example of the type of issue that'll come up.) I'm leaning towards "can't respec", though. You'd still be able to cheat (edit the save file, or use some other possibly-built-in means) if all you're interested is in testing out a build.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 52