Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 52

Author Topic: Starfarer 0.54a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 365017 times)

StahnAileron

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer 0.54a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #480 on: November 18, 2012, 07:15:07 AM »

Your vets and elites may not learn more, but the rookies and recruits would learn a lot, won't they? They would learn how to proper accomplish tasks so they can actually do the same type of actions later. But it was just an idea I wanted to throw out there for later consideration, maybe. I just think skilled execution by the player in a battle should be tangibly rewarded somehow. It could be bonus XP, bonus multiplier to credits salvage, higher chances to board ships, higher equipment salvage chances, etc. Doesn't matter to me. I just want some incentive at also TRY my best when I technically don't have to.

If I can fly a 100FP fleet that can steamroll nearly every fleet it comes accross, it'd be nice to have some sort of in-game incentive to make me WANT to use, say, only 50FP instead. Self-motivation will only get players so far in games like this unless they have some form of in-game reward instead of or in addition to self-satisfaction.

But *shrug* It's not a major issue for me though. At least not yet. Gotta see how the end product will be before I will/can pass and judgement. I am anxious for 0.54a's release though ^_^; Especially with all these changes. It'll be like a whole new game!

Vind

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: November 18, 2012, 08:45:14 AM »

Winning battle without losses and serious damage is already reward of its own,  no need to add any special bonuses atop of it. The best system is to give more rewards with more risk but avoid save scumming to get more with each battle. Maybe reward players for not saving too often?

DJ Die

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: November 18, 2012, 12:48:18 PM »

Winning battle without losses and serious damage is already reward of its own,  no need to add any special bonuses atop of it. The best system is to give more rewards with more risk but avoid save scumming to get more with each battle. Maybe reward players for not saving too often?
uh and why would you do this in a SP game? i mean there is no reason to do this....if you want to suffer consequences of one horrible decision by AI sure then just dont load save....others might not feel it that way ;)

Hopelessnoob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: November 18, 2012, 01:08:10 PM »

Your crew is learning from experience, they got to experience what not to do with the ships that blew up. Alex doesn't want to remove save scumming cause some people will just play like that, but he doesn't want to punish people who won't just save/reload after each battle.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: November 18, 2012, 01:21:49 PM »

uh and why would you do this in a SP game? i mean there is no reason to do this....if you want to suffer consequences of one horrible decision by AI sure then just dont load save....others might not feel it that way ;)
SP games need to be balanced just as much as MP games do. Games should also give players rewards for sticking with the consequences of their actions rather than just redoing everything constantly until you get a favorable outcome.

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: November 18, 2012, 01:30:08 PM »

Just a question for Alex but can he make it so that the AI doesn't send drones out to die when their main purpose is to increase it's range.  Even on free roam they should try to stay within it's shield bubble.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: November 18, 2012, 01:56:37 PM »

Just a question for Alex but can he make it so that the AI doesn't send drones out to die when their main purpose is to increase it's range.  Even on free roam they should try to stay within it's shield bubble.

From the patch notes:
Drastically reduced Apogee sensor drone roam range

:)

Spoiler
Campaign:
  • Losing ships in combat gives bonus XP, if the fleet has more than 5 fleet points worth of ships
  • Losing a battle gives double XP for that battle, if you fleet was worth more than 5 fleet points

In regards to this, you wouldn't happen to be considering other Bonus XP conditions, would you? Like say:

• XP bonus for defeating an opposing fleet while using only X% of your own forces' (or opposing fleet's) FP cost.
  • XP bonus for getting through a FLEEING battle with all ships intact against a fleet with X times more FP worth.
  • XP bonus for eliminating ALL opposing vessels of a FLEEING battle (Or perhaps a slightly better salvage chance for money/equipment?)
  • XP bonus for taking no damage (other than shield damage) in a battle. Probably balanced against FP costs of the your fleet versus opposing fleet.

...And probably some other things I can't think of off-hand right now. Numbers are up in the air for those suggestions, of course. This to help reward players that go out of their way and display skill in combat.

Also, is there any possibility of making salvage/capture chances higher based on player performance in a fight? Like say in a fight, I manage to concentrate all my fire on the rear side of an enemy vessel. I've knocked out his engines several times during the fight and the rest of his ship is mostly intact save for the rear quadrant. I finally kill him while his engines are out and the rest of his ship is untouched. Wouldn't that make a capture attempt more likely to happen in the post battle? I'm not asking for a HUGH boost to chance, but just SOME sort of boost to reflect the skill and efforts of users in combat. Like if a ship only has a 1/100 chance of normally being capturable post-battle, doing certain things could boost it to like 1/50 chance.

Similar for undamaged weapons on enemy vessel for salvaging post-battle. (Maybe even for credits as well. I imagine there'd be more undamaged CPU cores to pull credits from if a player is very picky about targetting and leave a vessel mostly intact before disabling it.) You'd still have to farm battles, but drops and captures are SLIGHTLY skewed towards the players' benefit if they put the effort into it.
[close]

At this point, I hadn't really given it that much thought. Once the campaign shapes up - that is, goes beyond a single star system, and beyond combat being the only thing to do - I'll definitely take another look at what gives XP and how/how much.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: November 19, 2012, 11:53:00 AM »

Updated with some modding-focused changes. Likely to be the last update prior to the release.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: November 19, 2012, 11:59:21 AM »

Whoo!  You so awesome.  :D
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: November 19, 2012, 12:41:43 PM »

Next stop: RELEASE CENTRAL
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: November 19, 2012, 12:52:34 PM »

Hey Alex, I don't think I've told you this recently, but I thought I'd remind you just in case you had forgotten: I love you.

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: November 19, 2012, 01:03:55 PM »

Holy Moly.

SO much love, Alex.

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: November 19, 2012, 01:42:41 PM »

Hoping for a few more logistics ships to go wit hthe expanded universe in the patch after this.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: November 19, 2012, 01:48:10 PM »

Hoping for a few more logistics ships to go wit hthe expanded universe in the patch after this.

What makes you think the patch after this will expand the universe?
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Hyph_K31

• Admiral
  • O' Hear My Name and Tremble! Ug Ug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: November 19, 2012, 01:54:17 PM »

Yay! Yay! Yay! I need more to say! But I don't, because it's too amazing!

What makes you think the patch after this will expand the universe?

Gothars, anything this amazing must surely make the universe grow that little bit faster!

... wait a minute...

"GEDUNE, stop venting in front of your classmates!"
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 52