Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 52

Author Topic: Starfarer 0.54a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 365143 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer 0.54a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #465 on: November 16, 2012, 08:46:13 AM »

So Alex in this update can we get the largest fuel tanker added at last?  Maybe even some of the other ships that have graphics but aren't implemented?

'fraid it's still in the dry docks.

The Storm Needler changes are lost on me. I can't see the difference.

It fits in better visually with the ships that generally mount it.

A phased ship overloaded or venting will come out of phase regardless of whether it's on top of another object or not
And on the other hand, if I hover my Shade above the enemy onslaught and hit V I'm dead?

Not necessarily "dead", but in pretty bad shape, yeah.

Now I'm thinking, is there any way to create a special ship class where it has the benefits of fightercraft/drones, but the collision of normal frigate and above ships,

Yeah, actually. If you use an EveryFrameCombatPlugin and adjust the CollisionClass of the drones as appropriate. The "as appropriate" part is likely to require some work, though.

Wow, I'm loving the API changes in this update - so many things just became possible. This might be my favorite update so far. :)

• Added InputEventAPI
  • Added ShipSystemAPI, FluxTrackerAPI,AssignmentTargetAPI, CombatAssignmentType, made enhancements to ShipAPI, WeaponAPI, ShieldAPI
[/list]

Would you be willing to post these here so we could get an idea of what to expect, or are the details still in flux?

Still adjusting some of these. Here's InputEventAPI, though - it's pretty mature as it's been used by the game since the beginning.
Spoiler

public interface InputEventAPI {
   int getEventValue();
   int getX();
   int getY();
   int getDX();
   int getDY();
   InputEventClass getEventClass();
   void logEvent();
   boolean isConsumed();
   void consume();
   boolean isRepeat();
   InputEventType getEventType();
   boolean isMouseEvent();
   boolean isKeyboardEvent();
   boolean isKeyUpEvent();
   boolean isKeyDownEvent();
   boolean isMouseUpEvent();
   boolean isMouseDownEvent();
   boolean isLMBDownEvent();
   boolean isLMBEvent();
   boolean isRMBEvent();
   boolean isLMBUpEvent();
   boolean isRMBDownEvent();
   boolean isRMBUpEvent();
   boolean isMouseMoveEvent();
   boolean isMouseScrollEvent();
   char getEventChar();
   boolean isAltDown();
   boolean isCtrlDown();
   boolean isShiftDown();
   boolean isUnmodified();
   boolean isDoubleClick();
}
[close]

The original AI is still in the core code - extracting it to scripts would be time-consuming (never mind adding to the game's loading time), even though, as far as I can tell, it's not doing anything (or much) the API wouldn't let it do.

This reminds me of something I've been meaning to ask about. Would it be possible to make Starfarer able to load .class files directly? This would both greatly decrease loading time as well as allow us to use generics and other things not supported by Janino. And they would still go through the custom classloader, correct?

Interesting idea. Let me take a look at what it would take to load up jar/class files dynamically. With jars, you'd still have to use scripts as stubs to call into them... unless the data definitions were changed to allow you to specify stuff within a jar directly. Hmm.

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: November 16, 2012, 08:55:14 AM »

Loving the new textures for the weapons! The Needler reminds me alot of the Hephaestus, and the Gauss and Railgun looks alot smoother.

firstattak1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: November 16, 2012, 11:51:12 AM »

Is there anymore ideas for new phase ships? Or I that to come in a later date.

Blips

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: November 16, 2012, 12:04:52 PM »

Now we need phase missiles / torpedoes / bombs.  ;D ;D ;D

dogboy123

• Captain
  • Boron military barracuda
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: November 16, 2012, 05:25:00 PM »

Now we need phase missiles / torpedoes / bombs.  ;D ;D ;D
Wow earlier today I was thinking about this too, when playing the Ironclads mod I was wondering, "what if there was a phase cruise missile in this mod?" XD, supported 200%.
"I'm expecting an all-out tactical dogfight... followed by a light dinner.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: November 16, 2012, 07:37:29 PM »

Looks great, Alex!  Glad to see so much progress on the big stuff :)
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Hopelessnoob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: November 16, 2012, 08:00:27 PM »

I really hope this game isn't our Christmas present from you Alex, i don't think i can wait that long.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: November 16, 2012, 08:29:29 PM »

Looks great, Alex!  Glad to see so much progress on the big stuff :)

Thanks for helping suggest some of it :)

I really hope this game isn't our Christmas present from you Alex, i don't think i can wait that long.

Well, I rather hope it won't be that long.

Gabriel_Braun

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: November 16, 2012, 08:59:16 PM »

Ahhh....after a day of picking up logs, choppping wood, and generally cleaning up after Sandy, I come to this.  Thanks, Alex! :)

Not sure if Canada joke or just Canadian
:D

Verrius

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: November 16, 2012, 09:46:00 PM »

Well, I rather hope it won't be that long.
You seem to have given us a time frame.
That being said, I highly doubt the game will be released between now and Christmas :p

Hopelessnoob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: November 16, 2012, 10:51:04 PM »

Didn't mean the full version of it, just this version you're teasing us with.

StahnAileron

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: November 17, 2012, 02:30:31 PM »

Campaign:
  • Losing ships in combat gives bonus XP, if the fleet has more than 5 fleet points worth of ships
  • Losing a battle gives double XP for that battle, if you fleet was worth more than 5 fleet points

In regards to this, you wouldn't happen to be considering other Bonus XP conditions, would you? Like say:

• XP bonus for defeating an opposing fleet while using only X% of your own forces' (or opposing fleet's) FP cost.
  • XP bonus for getting through a FLEEING battle with all ships intact against a fleet with X times more FP worth.
  • XP bonus for eliminating ALL opposing vessels of a FLEEING battle (Or perhaps a slightly better salvage chance for money/equipment?)
  • XP bonus for taking no damage (other than shield damage) in a battle. Probably balanced against FP costs of the your fleet versus opposing fleet.

...And probably some other things I can't think of off-hand right now. Numbers are up in the air for those suggestions, of course. This to help reward players that go out of their way and display skill in combat.

Also, is there any possibility of making salvage/capture chances higher based on player performance in a fight? Like say in a fight, I manage to concentrate all my fire on the rear side of an enemy vessel. I've knocked out his engines several times during the fight and the rest of his ship is mostly intact save for the rear quadrant. I finally kill him while his engines are out and the rest of his ship is untouched. Wouldn't that make a capture attempt more likely to happen in the post battle? I'm not asking for a HUGH boost to chance, but just SOME sort of boost to reflect the skill and efforts of users in combat. Like if a ship only has a 1/100 chance of normally being capturable post-battle, doing certain things could boost it to like 1/50 chance.

Similar for undamaged weapons on enemy vessel for salvaging post-battle. (Maybe even for credits as well. I imagine there'd be more undamaged CPU cores to pull credits from if a player is very picky about targetting and leave a vessel mostly intact before disabling it.) You'd still have to farm battles, but drops and captures are SLIGHTLY skewed towards the players' benefit if they put the effort into it.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: November 17, 2012, 03:55:03 PM »

Not sure if Canada joke or just Canadian
:D
Hurricane Sandy cleanup.  Pine tree fell over, cleaned it up that day. :)

Lots of ideas for XP, huh?  I like the sound of getting through a fleeing battle unscathed.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Voyager I

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: November 17, 2012, 04:15:08 PM »

While I'm not opposed to other XP rewards, the purpose of the ones he's looking at now isn't to reward players for doing winning battles cleanly; they already get rewarded for that.  It's about offering some limited compensation for loss to encourage players to bear through it instead of reloading and also make fleet destruction a little bit less of a brutal reset.  There's fair justification for it, too; nothing teaches quite like failure.

zakastra

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: November 18, 2012, 03:37:24 AM »

Yep, if you effortlessly wipe your foes of the map without turning the guns of autofire, having to vent your flux, or even engage any maneuvers, you aren't going to learn much at all, apart form "maybe I can use my time more effectively here"
Oh DRM, bane of the carrier captain...
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 52