Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 52

Author Topic: Starfarer 0.54a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 365044 times)

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer 0.54a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #450 on: November 15, 2012, 01:31:12 PM »

Ahhh....after a day of picking up logs, choppping wood, and generally cleaning up after Sandy, I come to this.  Thanks, Alex! :)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 01:37:06 PM by The Soldier »
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: November 15, 2012, 01:32:39 PM »

Like the new look of the weapons. Storm Needler gets a lot more detail and the rail/gauss look more unified in their appereance, as they should since they're the same weapon type, just ones bigger.

So many UI and AI tweaks, skills... wonder if its gonna feel like all new combat!

C'mon ALEX! Release this week?! Fri, Sat?!

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: November 15, 2012, 01:38:45 PM »

The new sprites look good (I love the new Gauss Cannon!  Oh, will it ever have a home on any of the vanilla variants?  I've yet to see it ever since the Mark IV Autocannon and Thermal Pulse Cannons were added.

And how does one get XP?  I see you get it from loosing ships or battles, but any other way?  I'd like to see it happen for non-combat things, maybe selling loot or buying things, even mounting weapons on your ship.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 01:44:23 PM by The Soldier »
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: November 15, 2012, 01:52:53 PM »

So Alex in this update can we get the largest fuel tanker added at last?  Maybe even some of the other ships that have graphics but aren't implemented?

Sendrien

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: November 15, 2012, 01:56:44 PM »

Nice screenshot! Good to know SF is getting some love on the graphics front too.

Incidentally, did you do all the spriting for Starfarer, Alex? Or do you have someone to help you with the visual aspect of the game?

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: November 15, 2012, 02:03:44 PM »

Nice screenshot! Good to know SF is getting some love on the graphics front too.

Incidentally, did you do all the spriting for Starfarer, Alex? Or do you have someone to help you with the visual aspect of the game?

Im pretty sure David does all the spriting.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: November 15, 2012, 02:13:13 PM »

So Alex in this update can we get the largest fuel tanker added at last?
Why? You don't need fuel, so you don't even need the tanker that the game already has.

The Storm Needler changes are lost on me. I can't see the difference. Nice to see some under-the-hood improvements to improve performance.

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: November 15, 2012, 02:24:13 PM »

Why? You don't need fuel, so you don't even need the tanker that the game already has.

Yeah, but fuel will be needed later, so why not add it now and save the trouble.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: November 15, 2012, 02:58:13 PM »

I may not have a pc at the moment, but YAY :P
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: November 15, 2012, 03:36:32 PM »

A phased ship overloaded or venting will come out of phase regardless of whether it's on top of another object or not

So, if I manage to get my Doom over a frigate or destroyer and vent, the frigate is destroyed and I take hull damage? Sounds like a feasible tactic.

And on the other hand, if I hover my Shade above the enemy onslaught and hit V I'm dead?
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: November 15, 2012, 04:41:34 PM »

You know, one weapon that could use some tweaks is the Plasma Cannon... its colors really clash with anything else in the game and it just looks plain alien - like not even something advanced humans would make. This is my opinion, of course.

Change the black to the pale blue/grey thats on the Tachyon Lance and it would look fine to me.

JaytheJuggernaut

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: November 15, 2012, 05:50:42 PM »

• Revamped fleet command tutorial
  • Revamped combat tutorial, split into "basic" and "advanced" portions
  • Improved Sabot missile tracking - much less likely to get total misses now
  • New graphics for Gauss Cannon, Railgun, and Storm Needler

I'm interested to see how the new tutorials work. Tutorials, for me, are nice when introducing a friend, so as not to have to explain it as much myself. :D
Graphics look neat. I really like the sabot change, hopefully makes it more worth it. Misses too much IMO.

A phased ship overloaded or venting will come out of phase regardless of whether it's on top of another object or not

So, if I manage to get my Doom over a frigate or destroyer and vent, the frigate is destroyed and I take hull damage? Sounds like a feasible tactic.

And on the other hand, if I hover my Shade above the enemy onslaught and hit V I'm dead?

To me, this is a somewhat similar tactic to the onslaught burn-drive-battering-ram-thingy. Basically we have kinetic, HE, Energy, and just plain old smashing up against the enemy's hull. Seems legit.  ;D

LazyWizard

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub Profile
« Reply #462 on: November 15, 2012, 08:31:46 PM »

Wow, I'm loving the API changes in this update - so many things just became possible. This might be my favorite update so far. :)

• Added InputEventAPI
  • Added ShipSystemAPI, FluxTrackerAPI,AssignmentTargetAPI, CombatAssignmentType, made enhancements to ShipAPI, WeaponAPI, ShieldAPI

Would you be willing to post these here so we could get an idea of what to expect, or are the details still in flux?

The original AI is still in the core code - extracting it to scripts would be time-consuming (never mind adding to the game's loading time), even though, as far as I can tell, it's not doing anything (or much) the API wouldn't let it do.

This reminds me of something I've been meaning to ask about. Would it be possible to make Starfarer able to load .class files directly? This would both greatly decrease loading time as well as allow us to use generics and other things not supported by Janino. And they would still go through the custom classloader, correct?

FlashFrozen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: November 15, 2012, 10:17:17 PM »

Now I'm thinking, is there any way to create a special ship class where it has the benefits of fightercraft/drones, but the collision of normal frigate and above ships,

Just thinking about it as a way of creating kamikaze drones with the ai possibilities ( not that I can code it :P)

xcom91

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: November 15, 2012, 11:08:01 PM »

Yeah, but fuel will be needed later, so why not add it now and save the trouble.

It also helps with mass trading. Take the Fleet Size Mod for example. You can produce your own fuel with the right upgrades to your personal station. With that being said, once enough fuel is produced, the largest tanker will help reduce the amount of trips needed to exchange it. :)
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 52