Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 52

Author Topic: Starfarer 0.54a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 365164 times)

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer 0.54a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #420 on: November 08, 2012, 06:01:20 PM »

Also I want to see how you play the game yourself.

Ah, the great mystery of a game developer playing his own game.  Though chef never tastes his own food, I'm sure Alex loves and plays his game. :) A commentary for what's coming up, or even just a short video with no sound, would be fine in my book.  If you have any time to spare, I'm sure we'd all enjoy it.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: November 08, 2012, 08:06:23 PM »

Do fighters benefit from the +1 missile? Thunders with 2 harpoons?! :o

Hyph_K31

• Admiral
  • O' Hear My Name and Tremble! Ug Ug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: November 08, 2012, 10:16:37 PM »

Sounds interesting! I just hope that you avoid power spirals, code geass style.

Personally, I think the idea of player skills is great, but I hope that they don't turn the player into some sort of roflstomper from hell on a mission to destroy the Borg with a pencil.

"GEDUNE, stop venting in front of your classmates!"

Thana

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: November 08, 2012, 11:22:19 PM »

The non-scaling "+1 missile per launcher" seems off to me. Not just because it's a disproportionate bonus for one-shot to three-shot launchers, but because it'll be essentially meaningless to high-ammo-count launchers. I imagine you've considered this, but I'm still curious as to the reasoning behind this decision.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: November 09, 2012, 02:10:45 AM »

agreed... the first thing i thought when seeing that is "pilum"

mmm.... tartiflette

Mattk50

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: November 09, 2012, 05:41:35 AM »

is that +1 counted before or after the missile rack mod is counted. if its before, you could get 3 reapers out of a single one torpedo launcher

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: November 09, 2012, 05:52:34 AM »

Question about the +1 Missile ammo: Is the +1 factored in before or after the expanded missile racks hullmod? I know you talked about multiplier bonuses, but I can't remember if you talked about addition/subtraction in combination with multipliers.

After. So, a single-shot Reaper gets 1 + 75% from the hullmod (still 1) + 1 more from the perk = 2 missiles. Considering an Enforcer can pack *eight* of those (and get them out 2x faster, thanks to the level 5 perk), that's still scary good.

;)

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: November 09, 2012, 11:14:55 AM »

Alex, not sure if you have the time or stuff to do it, but i would love it if you posted videos on your channel, like a developer comments on your game, or some spoilors on the new stuff, like what was done before. Also I want to see how you play the game yourself.

I'll think about it :) It does take a little time away from "actual work", though, as I tend to be a bit OCD about things like that.

Do fighters benefit from the +1 missile? Thunders with 2 harpoons?! :o

Forgot to mention - the effects of that skill only apply to the piloted ship. Some aspects carry over when you transfer command (everything but the +1 ammo, actually).

Sounds interesting! I just hope that you avoid power spirals, code geass style.

Personally, I think the idea of player skills is great, but I hope that they don't turn the player into some sort of roflstomper from hell on a mission to destroy the Borg with a pencil.

Well, there may be a bit of that now - but later on, enemy ships should have officers as well, to even out the playing field (and to make the early game more challenging). If you think a Tri-Tachyon patrol is dangerous now, wait til you see one with elite crew and skilled captains.

The non-scaling "+1 missile per launcher" seems off to me. Not just because it's a disproportionate bonus for one-shot to three-shot launchers, but because it'll be essentially meaningless to high-ammo-count launchers. I imagine you've considered this, but I'm still curious as to the reasoning behind this decision.

Yeah, it's not exactly neat and tidy, but the idea is that there's something in that perk for both low and high ammo missiles. Standard Harpoon racks (let alone single-shot missile racks) hardly benefit from the increased rate of fire, but the +1 ammo is very cool for them. On the flip side, the rate of fire matters a great deal for Pilums, Annihilators, etc.

intothewildblueyonder

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: November 09, 2012, 11:28:10 AM »

...  Though chef never tastes his own food ...

you never heard the expression "never trust a skinny chef"?

now apply to Alex and :)

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: November 09, 2012, 01:19:05 PM »

The +1 for missiles benfits the small launchers.  It's better to choose +1 for small and Expanded Missile Racks for large-capacity weapons.
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Dx

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: November 09, 2012, 03:43:38 PM »

Alex, this is probably way OFF topic, but when could we expect the full game released?
I'm a little worried we're looking toward 2014 at this rate.
Aw, come on, you know me better than to expect a date or a specific timeframe :) When it's done (tm).

Quote from: FAQ
When is Starfarer coming out?
When it is ready. We are not Blizzard though, so this doesn’t mean 5+ years.
So it will be 4 years and 11 month!
Solved! 0_0"

PS When active development was started?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 03:53:49 PM by Dx »

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: November 09, 2012, 06:22:54 PM »

Is it bad that I'm more excited for the passive accuracy buff than the ammo? I've been doing a lot of frigate fighting recently... eat Harpoon, hound!

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: November 09, 2012, 06:28:46 PM »

I generally turn the hound to blood and iron with a harpoon only after I cripple it's engines.  Then it gets a missile up the pipe. :)

EDIT:
Actually, how do you level up skills?  What's used?

JaytheJuggernaut

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: November 09, 2012, 06:44:50 PM »

Is it bad that I'm more excited for the passive accuracy buff than the ammo? I've been doing a lot of frigate fighting recently... eat Harpoon, hound!

I think I'm leaning towards that too. Reload isn't a problem for me, because by the time I need to use it it's reloaded. Only exception is the annihilator rocket pod (small weapon). 5% per level, with 10 levels, is 50% increase, along with EECM. Wow.

Verrius

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: November 09, 2012, 08:28:29 PM »

I'll think about it :) It does take a little time away from "actual work", though, as I tend to be a bit OCD about things like that.
Might be a good idea though. More frequent/engaging updates would help ease the tension from an evermore impatient community. (Though frankly, it doesn't bother me much, considering I just create content myself when I get impatient.)

Excited for the skills, but I do feel the +1 is a little awkward. Perhaps a % increase that rounds up might be in order, so it'd be at least 1, but could be as low as a 25%, or even 10% increase. Would still benefit lower numbers more, but be a decent increase for higher ammo counts.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 52