Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 52

Author Topic: Starfarer 0.54a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 367121 times)

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer 0.54a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #375 on: November 04, 2012, 08:23:29 AM »

While that was hilarious, lets try to keep this thread on topic!

Will attempt to help nearby ships in trouble

Does this include the player? Cause that would be really awesome!

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: November 04, 2012, 09:01:46 AM »

lol BillyRueben, hit it on the head. ;D

And the AI helping the player?  That's a change of thought for the AI. :)
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

intothewildblueyonder

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: November 04, 2012, 09:05:28 AM »

I dont know they sometimes make themselves pretty useless. Then there are the times when they decide to show up after the fight (like when I assign a PD enforcer on a conquest - I think for some reason they fail to recognize that it can speed up with maneuvering jets)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: November 04, 2012, 09:25:04 AM »

Does this include the player? Cause that would be really awesome!

Yeah. Though, long-term, I'm not entirely sure how well that works - haven't spent enough time with it to really get a solid feel for it. It doesn't seem to be doing anything clearly detrimental, though :)

An example: a destroyer will guard a nearby capital ship, instead of running off by itself - assuming they're both assigned to fight in the same general area, that is, and are actually *in* that area.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: November 04, 2012, 09:34:15 AM »

That sounds as if it would also benefit the "frigates run off to get their ass kicked by cap-ships" problem :)
Oh, and don't get into too much detail with your feature tests, you have a small army of people who are eager to give you feedback at your service ;)

The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

ArthropodOfDoom

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: November 04, 2012, 03:31:02 PM »

Oh, and don't get into too much detail with your feature tests, you have a small army of people who are eager to give you feedback at your service ;)

This. We would love do your playtesting for you, but unfortunately, that would require a quicker, self-downloading client. :/
I think the best place to look for balance issues is in the General Discussion forums,
everyone there seems to think the Mjolnir is underpowered, or that other guns are overpowered, etc.

On that topic: please give the Mjolnir just a teensy boost? Even like 5% in damage would be fantastic.
Let's say I'm captaining the ISS Slightly Lopsided Isosceles Triangle here.

Steven Shi

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: November 04, 2012, 04:04:54 PM »

On that topic: please give the Mjolnir just a teensy boost? Even like 5% in damage would be fantastic.

Alex, are we still going to be able to change stats quickly from a excel file in the final build? Really enjoy your game but I personally like to tweak the stats to suit my slower paced playing style.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: November 04, 2012, 09:26:33 PM »

Didn't mean that I would exhaustively playtest that - just saying that it seems ok at this point, and you guys will tell me if that's not the case :)

I think skills giving more OP actually give the Mjolnir the boost indirectly (which was always the plan for it). The problem with it isn't that it's too expensive for what it does, but that basically no hull can reasonably support the flux cost. More OP ought to make it much more viable. You can actually already make a one-side Conquest build with Mjolnirs that's quite effective, but nothing else can really handle it.

Alex, are we still going to be able to change stats quickly from a excel file in the final build? Really enjoy your game but I personally like to tweak the stats to suit my slower paced playing style.

Yeah, absolutely. That's one of the things I love about PC games, myself - have some fond memories of tweaking Morrowind to my liking.

DJ Die

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: November 04, 2012, 10:36:43 PM »

An example: a destroyer will guard a nearby capital ship, instead of running off by itself - assuming they're both assigned to fight in the same general area, that is, and are actually *in* that area.
does that work for hyperion as well? because ive found out that thing is most useful when released from its leash wreaking havoc in the enemy's rear and generally pulling enemy ships away from the main battle

Kreyesh

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: November 05, 2012, 05:48:46 PM »

Your game is dying, updates are WAAAAY too slow. I know people who work part time on mods for other games that put out content faster than this. I am not trying to discourage you from working because the game is quite enjoyable. But it is still lacking in content and functionality. I do hope that your update is very large and provides more content then you have listed because the game has potential. A few months ago you had 30+ posts per day in some of your threads(mods for example) despite the split i still think that 2 posts a day is an indication of significantly less traffic and interest in the game. I think its more important to release your updates every few weeks then it is to make giant releases months and months apart. Generate continuous interest. I hope you do decide to continue working seeing as how i have purchased the game. Good luck, put in the work!!!

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: November 05, 2012, 05:55:14 PM »

You should have seen the rate at the notes last patch.  Besides, as soon as the update goes out, the forum goes wild (or if TotalBiscuit decides to do another review of the game like he did when campaign came out).
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: November 05, 2012, 06:25:34 PM »

Well, that's quite a bit of gloom and doom. I'm not sure I want to go over the reasons for the pacing of updates again, especially as that's off-topic in this thread (and especially considering that regardless of that, it's been a topic of discussion in this very thread a few pages ago.)

Honestly - and I hope you don't take it the wrong way, as I don't mean to offend - but I think this is a bit silly :) The game isn't even officially out yet - any and all attention and activity it gets is a pure bonus.

On a more on-topic note, I've just spent the last couple of days revamping the command and combat tutorials. Very glad to finally have those in place where I'm actually happy with them.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 08:53:34 PM by Alex »

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: November 05, 2012, 06:39:13 PM »

Yay, finally!  A better combat and command UI tutorial. :)

And will TB ever try to do another update on his SF video?  Like he did with the campaign patch?

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: November 05, 2012, 06:58:31 PM »

On a more on-topic note, I've just spent the last couple of days revamping the command and combat tutorials. Very glad to finally have those in place where I'm actually happy with them.

That's good, but it does mean the mission editor you were considering didn't make it, right? :-\

On an unrelated note, did you consider/remember/find time to remove the brown squares around enemies (and destroyed stuff) in F11 mode? I was thinking about trying my hand at a cinematic SF video, but those squares really bug me...

And will TB ever try to do another update on his SF video?  Like he did with the campaign patch?

Maybe if multiple system are implemented? There's nothing new that's really obvious for someone who doesn't follow the development. But the most important time would be at release.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: November 05, 2012, 07:23:59 PM »

Yay, finally!  A better combat and command UI tutorial. :)

That's entirely up to him - I wouldn't presume to ask him to do one. I already owe him big time :)

That's good, but it does mean the mission editor you were considering didn't make it, right? :-\

Still looking at it. (To avoid confusion: it was never a mission editor, but rather a suggested expansion of the mission API.)

On an unrelated note, did you consider/remember/find time to remove the brown squares around enemies (and destroyed stuff) in F11 mode? I was thinking about trying my hand at a cinematic SF video, but those squares really bug me...

Thanks for the reminder - done.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 52