Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 52

Author Topic: Starfarer 0.54a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 365064 times)

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer 0.54a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #285 on: October 18, 2012, 12:21:35 PM »

Woah, that looks swish.

Just one tiny concern on the command channel, couldn't it technically be abused by creating an order and then rescinding it in order to get the benefits of command channel? I also had this crazy thought that you'd be pretty stupid to not pause with the channel open, how do you circumvent that?
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: October 18, 2012, 12:35:24 PM »

Sounds great! Especially the command channel is interesting. I still got a bunch of questions, but let me just ask a comprehension question: e/ already answered

a click when the selection is empty creates a waypoint. Otherwise, it clears the selection.

Doesn't that mean that you can't create a waypoint while you got ships selected? I thought the whole point of the new concept is that you can make waypoints/assignments while you've got ships selected?

Just one tiny concern on the command channel, couldn't it technically be abused by creating an order and then rescinding it in order to get the benefits of command channel? I also had this crazy thought that you'd be pretty stupid to not pause with the channel open, how do you circumvent that?

To my understanding you have to spend a CP to open the channel, I doubt that it will be refunded once the channel is open.

And I think if you've got just a quick order or 2 to give there's no need to pause, otherwise you should. That's not much different now, I see no need for circumvention...
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 01:03:46 PM by Gothars »
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: October 18, 2012, 12:39:00 PM »

This would be a blank waypoint, I think, with no assignment.

When you have people selected you right-click to create an assignment (with it's associated waypoint).
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Luringen

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: October 18, 2012, 12:54:33 PM »

Sounds great! Especially the command channel is interesting. I still got a bunch of questions, but let me just ask a comprehension question:

a click when the selection is empty creates a waypoint. Otherwise, it clears the selection.

Doesn't that mean that you can't create a waypoint while you got ships selected? I thought the whole point of the new concept is that you can make waypoints/assignments while you've got ships selected?

Left clicking clears the selection or creates an unassigned waypoint. Right-clicking with ships selected give an order  ;)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: October 18, 2012, 12:57:51 PM »

This would be a blank waypoint, I think, with no assignment.

When you have people selected you right-click to create an assignment (with it's associated waypoint).

Makes sense, thx.

By the way Alex, did this post inspire you to create the command channel perchance? It reads a bit like a lore-prelude to only being able to open a channel for a few seconds.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: October 18, 2012, 12:58:22 PM »

Yay new tutorial!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: October 18, 2012, 01:14:13 PM »

By the way Alex, did this post inspire you to create the command channel perchance? It reads a bit like a lore-prelude to only being able to open a channel for a few seconds.

Yes and no. I did read that post a while ago, and remember it, so it conceivably played a role. The motivation/lore justification is different, though.

Initially, the command channel mechanic wasn't there - instead, orders were free under a set of circumstances (such as: assigning to a refundable assignment, assigning after a ship was already assigned to that assignment via a direct order and the game hadn't been unpaused, and a few other cases). That worked fine mechanics-wise but actually conveying what's going on to the player was going to be an uphill battle. Enter a global "hey, you just spent a command point - stuff is now free for a while" counter.

As far as the lore/in-fiction justification, I think of it as calling a command conference among the captains. (Yeah, it's only a few game seconds, but combat time isn't the same as actual time.) There's only so many of these you can call before it becomes a fatal distraction, with better admirals being able to get more done.

I also had this crazy thought that you'd be pretty stupid to not pause with the channel open, how do you circumvent that?

Well, you're supposed/expected to pause when the channel is open - nothing to circumvent :) The timer is just there so you have a little more flexibility - accidentally hitting the spacebar won't waste the command point, and if you only have a few orders to give, you don't have to break the flow by pausing.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: October 20, 2012, 01:28:16 PM »

So, any sound updates being worked on? Music? Sound Effects? I'm hoping the game will soon have some music to blow up baddies to.

Hyph_K31

• Admiral
  • O' Hear My Name and Tremble! Ug Ug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: October 20, 2012, 01:35:12 PM »

Talking about the music, it seems to me that the combat music has gone, or is that just me?

"GEDUNE, stop venting in front of your classmates!"

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: October 20, 2012, 03:42:38 PM »

Talking about the music, it seems to me that the combat music has gone, or is that just me?

It couldn't have disappeared if there wasn't one to start with. Not in the core game, there wasn't. Mods have, though (some, atleast)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: October 21, 2012, 11:10:57 AM »

So, any sound updates being worked on? Music? Sound Effects? I'm hoping the game will soon have some music to blow up baddies to.

Yes, actually. But, don't expect anything over-the-top - the combat track is ambient, rather than something designed to pump you up.

Steven Shi

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: October 21, 2012, 06:12:19 PM »

Yes, actually. But, don't expect anything over-the-top - the combat track is ambient, rather than something designed to pump you up.

Personally, after the first 20min of gameplay, I usually turn off in-game music. I know it's suppose to add to the atmosphere like in movies but game is a different medium. I really dislike the repetitive sound tracks (after +20hr of playing) and prefer the 'silence' that draws you in a little more into the game.

Anyone else play their favourite games with the music off?

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: October 21, 2012, 09:55:39 PM »

I logged on the forum, somehow i understood that 0.54 launched, i went all the way to download the 53a from the main page, installed, and then realised and became sad. I want 0.54. :(

WarStalkeR

• Captain
  • Per Aspera Ad Astra!
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: October 21, 2012, 10:37:52 PM »

Alex, don't forget to give HP to normal projectiles :)

"Happiness for everybody, freely, and let no one to leave unhappy!" (c) Strugatsky Brothers
Independent Defense Force is here! And they already in Sector Xplo.

Psycho Society

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: October 23, 2012, 12:23:44 PM »

Personally, after the first 20min of gameplay, I usually turn off in-game music. I know it's suppose to add to the atmosphere like in movies but game is a different medium. I really dislike the repetitive sound tracks (after +20hr of playing) and prefer the 'silence' that draws you in a little more into the game.

Anyone else play their favourite games with the music off?

I love having good music in game. To give you an example, I absolutely adore the music in Planetside. As epochal as Don Ferrone's orchestral compositions are, eventually I will be compelled to change it. It has nothing to do with the quality of the music, it just gets overplayed from substantial time playing the game.

That's not to say music isn't needed. Planetside wouldn't be any where as significant or memorable to me without Ferrone. The music defined that game as much as any other factor.

e: I usually play Starfarer with some radio on pandora. The Glitch Mob is a good station to try. I generally stay away from albums when playing games from the risk of association.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 12:28:38 PM by Psycho Society »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 52