Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 52

Author Topic: Starfarer 0.54a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 365060 times)

Catra

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer 0.54a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #195 on: October 08, 2012, 11:56:53 PM »

Personaly the only thing im really looking forward to now is more then one solar system. Untill then, back burner ho?

Why would you want more solar systems as of now when they will all be carbon copy of another with no real features to distinguish them apart (because there are no game mechanics that can create any meaningful variety yet)?

More because of the modding side, its the part of the mod that takes the longest since you need to create a custom galaxy, so getting this early even with nothing new added would be great...
More content that's playable and fun is going to be better for encouraging new buyers, to help keep the game funded, than content aimed at a minority of people who already have it. It's great Alex is so supportive of modding and mods are an excellent way of adding more play time, but mods (and total conversion mods, which are generally some of the less popular) shouldn't be prioritized over improving the actual *game*.

alex is going to have to tackle multi-system at some point, so i don't see how modders getting even a rudimentary implementation of multi-system travel equates to mods getting prioritization.

DJ Die

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 09, 2012, 01:01:07 AM »

i also think that more systems should be brought into the only AFTER having more than one system will have some meaning and purpose...
one think id like to see however is possibility to add custom/modders systems into the vanilla game/campaign....that should make the game last much longer and it should be much more interesting....

Gabriel_Braun

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 09, 2012, 04:16:54 AM »

The biggest question I have about multi-system implementation is how extra-solar combat is (or isn't) going to work.  Personally I don't think ships should be capable of intercepting eachother during hyperspace (or warp, jump, transit, fried-egg, whatever speed) but the code required for ships to traverse multiple solar systems will be a bit more complicated than the spawn/waypoint system we have now and will also be a huge leap in modding potential.  I'm so supportive of the modding community because it acts like an unofficial extension of the development team in my own eyes;  I'm not suggesting the devs poach and steal code unrepentantly but some of the solutions the modding community come up with can provide avenues of investigation that the devs might not have come up with on their own.  In any event, while we remain in alpha there's a long, long road ahead to beta;  On the up-side, stardrive is out soon :D

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 09, 2012, 08:03:59 AM »

While I appreciate the enthusiasm, all that asking when the patch will be out/patch notes will be updated/etc does is marginally increase my stress level :) You see, I actually love getting a new version out, or getting more info out about it - so I'm already working towards that as hard as I can!

That said, I'm hoping to be able to update the patch notes in several days time - the "bonus feature" seems to be shaping up nicely.

Edit: removed a few posts before things get out of hand. Let's keep it civil and on-topic.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 08:08:26 AM by Alex »

Gabriel_Braun

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 09, 2012, 08:20:00 AM »

Sorry Alex!  ::)

I'll be patient now...

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: October 09, 2012, 08:41:48 AM »

the "bonus feature" seems to be shaping up nicely.

That's good to hear, would be a pity if you do all that fiddling and testing to arrive at the conclusion that it just doesn't work. Whatever "it" is.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

DJ Die

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 09, 2012, 10:28:53 AM »

- the "bonus feature" seems to be shaping up nicely.

Did you really have to say that? >:( i dont mind surprises as long as i dont know about them but this? 8) Thats inhumane and cruel!  ;D

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 09, 2012, 10:46:21 AM »

I probably shouldn't call it a bonus "feature". It is, however, a major update to something that I've wanted to update for quite a while :)

Yes, I know, more cruelty. The inhumanity of it!

DelicateTask

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 09, 2012, 11:00:40 AM »

You are a contradictory tyrant. First you tell us not to be impatient, then you tell us that there's a super-secret that you're working on. How do you expect us to be patient now?!

;D

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 09, 2012, 11:03:33 AM »

Well, I think it's time for rampant speculation on what this "bonus feature" is... hm....

The best I can come up with atm is there being more than one solar system and the ability to travel between them. That seems highly unlikely, so sufficiently rampant speculation, I feel.

More realistically, I'm going to guess the ability to perform missions for the different factions and the ability to improve relations with factions as a result. Just a few to start with, but progressively more as the updates continue over the months.

DJ Die

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 09, 2012, 11:15:18 AM »

I probably shouldn't call it a bonus "feature". It is, however, a major update to something that I've wanted to update for quite a while :)

Yes, I know, more cruelty. The inhumanity of it!
That however doesnt make it any less cruel  ;) good news though....its great to know how its shaping up

Gabriel_Braun

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 09, 2012, 11:35:19 AM »

Rampant speculation time??  :o

Alex has beaten me to getting asteroid mining in-game!

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: October 09, 2012, 11:35:54 AM »

You are a contradictory tyrant. First you tell us not to be impatient, then you tell us that there's a super-secret that you're working on. How do you expect us to be patient now?!
That really made me laugh  :D

Ok, some wild guessing...mh, if Alex wanted to update it for  quite a while, it has to exist for some time, so maybe it's not campaign related.
Possibly it's the combat command interface? There were some hints that new orders are under consideration...

The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Gabriel_Braun

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 09, 2012, 12:10:46 PM »

That really made me laugh  :D

Ok, some wild guessing...mh, if Alex wanted to update it for  quite a while, it has to exist for some time, so maybe it's not campaign related.
Possibly it's the combat command interface? There were some hints that new orders are under consideration...

This can not be considered rampant speculation but an educated guess!!!    :P

Hyph_K31

• Admiral
  • O' Hear My Name and Tremble! Ug Ug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: October 09, 2012, 12:38:30 PM »

Rampent speculation:

A tree! It's gonna be tree! A tree in space! It's gonna be a really big tree in space!

Serious:

I rather hope that the bonus is going to be more advanced waypoints, such that you can execute fancy military manoeuvres. I remember there being a screen shot showing something like that... in any case, that would be REALLY cool! I would finally be able to pincer my foes, and say mean things to them as I do it, insulting their brain capacity (personally I like mine deep fried). Although I'm not sure that's going to be it, I'd reckon it's going to have more to do with the campaign.

"GEDUNE, stop venting in front of your classmates!"
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 52