Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: .ship/.variant editor  (Read 79917 times)

XpanD

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: .ship/.variant editor
« Reply #90 on: March 17, 2012, 03:11:37 PM »

Yep. When you click the save button, it automatically makes a .ship file with that stuff in it for you, but doing it manually gives the same results. ;)

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 17, 2012, 03:16:38 PM »

So the image is external? The JSON "stuff" is all thats contained in the Ship file?

The ship image will be located somewhere else yes. There will be a line in the JSON that says

"hullSize": "CRUISER",
  "shieldCenter": [
  ],
  "shieldRadius": 130,
  "spriteName": "graphics/ships/GR_Hades.png",
  "style": "HIGH_TECH",
  "viewOffset": 0,

That tells the engine where to marry the ship structure to the image.

The section is chopped from Paul's lovely gunrunner mod.
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

Zilerrezko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 17, 2012, 03:23:46 PM »

Yeah, that happens to me at times too. Go to the JSON tab, copy what's in there, create a new file (shipname.ship), and paste the text from the JSON tab into there. That way it's saved. Then use CTRL+F5 to refresh the page entirely and try again.

(alternatively, if you can't get manual ship files working just paste it back into the JSON tab after F5-ing the editor)

Thanks man!

WarStalkeR

• Captain
  • Per Aspera Ad Astra!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 17, 2012, 06:29:33 PM »

Planning to give credit to GSB there, WarStalkeR?
OMG! I've been found out! He-he :)
I thinks so :) After I've seen Archduke Astro on these forums, I understood that some other GSB players would be here too :)

"Happiness for everybody, freely, and let no one to leave unhappy!" (c) Strugatsky Brothers
Independent Defense Force is here! And they already in Sector Xplo.

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 17, 2012, 10:33:34 PM »

I've been having issues exporting the code.  I also can't seem to get .ship files that I create to download, the ship menu that has all the stock ships isn't working either.  .variant files don't seem to work, and the system doesn't have a tab for the ship_data.csv  The editor is also missing data on several weapons.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 11:17:32 PM by JamesRaynor »

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #95 on: March 17, 2012, 10:41:54 PM »

OMG! I've been found out! He-he :)
I thinks so :) After I've seen Archduke Astro on these forums, I understood that some other GSB players would be here too :)

It's all good  ;D  Turns out that the GSB guys are cool with it - the only condition is that you give credit where it is due, and also link back to the GSB site.

Timasaurus 007

• Ensign
  • Rawr, i'm a dinosaur.
    • View Profile
Re: Ship variant editor
« Reply #96 on: March 21, 2012, 12:44:56 AM »

Awesome!

One problem, when I try to upload my ship into the editor, I click load, and nothing happens.
It may be my system (Windows 7)

If not has anyone got a soloution?

megal00t

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 21, 2012, 01:49:58 AM »

What browser

Plasmatic

• Admiral
  • Curious no?
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 21, 2012, 11:19:27 AM »

Also having some issues, I cannot seem to log on..

I hit the login/register thingy, it opens asking for username and password, but when I hit login nothing happens, same goes for Register.

Anybody else having this problem?

Windows 7, Chrome
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
- Maurice Switzer

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #99 on: March 21, 2012, 11:50:36 AM »

I never even noticed you could login or register. What's the use of it?

rada660

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 21, 2012, 12:02:44 PM »

I never even noticed you could login or register. What's the use of it?

beign able to upload your .ship/.variant to the ship editor data base, so other user that use teh search option ( under the variant/ships tab at the bottom ) could download the work of the other people

Calodine

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 21, 2012, 05:54:10 PM »

Worth pointing out that if you paste your ship JSON in here, it'll format it properly for you. Makes editing it to add universal slots and tweak stuff much, much easier. Got linked to it in my help thread a couple of days ago, and it's been invaluable :D

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #102 on: March 21, 2012, 06:16:25 PM »

I think Redbull should tweak his JSON codec to ignore trailing commas and # comments, because although they are not features of the JSON language per-spec, they are valid for vanilla starfarer data. Thus, Starfarer has its own, friendlier subset of standard JSON that is actually more fun to use.

If an example of this would be helpful, my reflection-based JSON parser is open source on Google Code: http://code.google.com/p/bmx-rjson/

Zilerrezko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 21, 2012, 11:41:04 PM »

alright,

I want to make my own little race of ships, but I have some problems, or rather questions.

-I need a editing program like photoshop, but I don't really have 700 to throw to that. As well as I would like to use shapes, as I don't have a drawing tablet. I also would like a easy to use interface. any suggestions?
-How can I make make sure that I'm making the right size ship? I don't want a fighter squad to be the size of a battle ship.
-Is there any editor to edit things like turrets and turret beams and their color and if there a beam or bullet or rather just a turret editor?
-How can I add my own race's space station that gets supplied, and starts off with low grade ships and cargo stuff then progressively get supplied with large turrets like the ones I would edit if there was a turret editor.

I guess this would just be adding my own race of sorts. Hopefully someone can point out instructions or even better maybe a video.

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 22, 2012, 12:32:51 AM »

Everything graphical you edit in some drawing program like paint.net. It's free and you can make sprites in it. For ship size, open in paint.net any vanilla ship and youll see it's size in pixels: height and wight. Fighters ar like 30x30 pix, capitals are like 200x300 and cruisers is like 170x170 etc... And for turrets you use paint.net  ;D As for adding stuff in campaign you need to see other peoples mods and figure it out  ;D
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10