Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: .ship/.variant editor  (Read 79909 times)

Zilerrezko

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: .ship/.variant editor
« Reply #105 on: March 22, 2012, 03:45:03 PM »

Thanks dude, I guess for adding stuff ill ask a modder.

medikohl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 22, 2012, 05:05:21 PM »

Everything graphical you edit in some drawing program like paint.net. It's free and you can make sprites in it. For ship size, open in paint.net any vanilla ship and youll see it's size in pixels: height and wight. Fighters ar like 30x30 pix, capitals are like 200x300 and cruisers is like 170x170 etc... And for turrets you use paint.net  ;D As for adding stuff in campaign you need to see other peoples mods and figure it out  ;D
those numbers are changeable. depending on weapon mounts, wider and narrower ships etc
"Captain! You can't call our greatest dreadnought 'The Parrot'"
"Watch me"
Spiral Arms: Ship Sprites for Everyone

Zilerrezko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 22, 2012, 07:21:33 PM »

I finished my first fighter ship today, don't know what to call it, and most likely going to edit it further. Hopefully I can make something awesome out of this, maybe even make a lore for my new race, and maybe in depth. Suggestions please, and be structurally critical. Thanks

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #108 on: March 22, 2012, 09:43:43 PM »

@Zilerrezko - very nice fighter, no criticism. When can I play with it?

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 22, 2012, 10:00:02 PM »

Looks pretty good: my only criticism is that the shading is very ragged on the wings. The easiest way to fix it would be to first zoom in and make it symmetric, then either use a blur or smudge tool on those regions.

(If you aren't using something with those tools, I recommend GIMP - once you get used to it its nice (and free), although no photoshop from what I here.)

I like the overall shape and the decal looks nice! Hmmm... maybe once in the game it will be too dark to see the decal well? I dunno, but if that happens you might need more contrasting colors.

Zilerrezko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 22, 2012, 10:40:02 PM »

@Thaago Thanks for the feedback! The decal was a Basic attempt at like a fleet symbol of some sort, I'm not too great at making things ship like, I was almost too obsessed with the lore I was up all night thinking about. But it's a good thing It's easy to go back and change things like sprites. I do notice that all the sprites though do have a top to bottom (center) lighting, so I was trying to grasp the lighting effects, but it kinda bugs me too that the lighting isn't symmetrical.

@Trylobot Haha, hopefully soon! spring break will yield my work hopefully. Maybe I will release things as I go along with the race, and get feedback as I go along. I think I'll make a mod post when I get about 3 playable ships, whether they're balanced or not. And thank you for your tutorial on making the fighters, I plan to make more :D

Zilerrezko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 23, 2012, 02:11:32 PM »

Hey can someone tell me what collision radius is for? Sippycup's tutorial doesn't say

Apophis

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 23, 2012, 02:14:34 PM »

just set it so that the shield is completely inside the collision radius, but not much more

Zilerrezko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 23, 2012, 02:19:15 PM »

alright thanks

Maseo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 24, 2012, 07:15:12 AM »

i cant seem to get this to work with firefox or google chrome. i try to save the files but nothing happens not sure why.

Maseo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 24, 2012, 07:18:49 AM »

i cant seem to get this to work with firefox or google chrome. i try to save the files but nothing happens not sure why.

that's the only problem by the way everything else works fine.

Plasmatic

• Admiral
  • Curious no?
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 24, 2012, 10:15:15 AM »

just set it so that the shield is completely inside the collision radius, but not much more

Whatis the collision radius?

The bounds control when stuff hits the armor/hull..

Is the collision radius for the shield? cause it doesn't seem like it..

I tried setting the collision radius a ways inside the shield and stuff still hit the shield...
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
- Maurice Switzer

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 24, 2012, 10:18:12 AM »

I think that collision radius give AI information where is your ship so he knows how far or how close he can come. Something like that i think.
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

Apophis

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 24, 2012, 11:10:52 AM »

I think it is used for broad phase collision detection

Zilerrezko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 24, 2012, 11:23:27 AM »

here's an idea, make a mission with two ships that are exactly alike. But make one have (I guess a normal) collision radius. But have one have a ridiculously large collision radius. Have two separate missions, but have them exactly alike, but just put the two made ships into the the two different missions, and see what happens.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10