Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Sandbox Mode?  (Read 3643 times)

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Sandbox Mode?
« on: September 11, 2012, 04:31:21 PM »

This video has me setting up some combat scenarios in a sandbox.  It lets me spawn ships and fighter wings at the touch of a button, and then they fight it out.  In the actual game, you’re controlling a ship – but in this sandbox, we’re just watching the AI fight it out.

I was just reading through some of the older blog posts when I found the fighter part 2.  Now, fighters are my best friend in campaign, and if I could get an Astral without p*ssing off the TT, I'd do it every time. ;) But back to the point, is that sandbox mentioned in the quote possible?  I'm sure we'd all enjoy it to some extent. :)

(that's from a REALLY long time ago, is that even in a dev version any more?)

EDIT:
Now, I'm not sure wether to put this in Suggestions or GD.  Since it's more of a question, might as well put it here.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Ghoti

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Sandbox Mode?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 11:04:39 PM »

It's a questionggestion.
Yah I've being making missions to test fighters. This mode would be nice to access for balance testing.

Archduke Astro

• Captain
  • 99 AU from anywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 10:13:12 AM »

But back to the point, is that sandbox mentioned in the quote possible?  I'm sure we'd all enjoy it to some extent. :)

I'm with you, Soldier; I'd enjoy that feature a great deal. Hopefully it is not heading on the same unfortunate course that the Munitions Ships were just revealed to be.
We thought our last moment had come
when we got a message up the voice pipe
saying that 'A' Turret magazine was on fire.....

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 10:17:42 AM »

Ah, that was never a "feature" feature, just a dev tool. It's still there - if you press '2' at the title screen in devmode, you get to a combat screen where you can:

Press 1 through = to spawn <whatever type of ship/wing I happened to hardcode to that key at the time the build was made>
Shift-1 etc to spawn it on the enemy side
C to remove all ships
M to remove all missiles

As you can see, not exactly user-friendly. Just a very, very rough-around-the-edges dev aid.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 01:02:34 PM »

Thanks!  Even if it's not user-friendly, it's nice to know. :)

Maybe that shift-clicking can be implemented for Sim mode?  Shift-clicking would add that ship to your side instead of the enemy's, maybe,
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 01:08:37 PM »

Thanks!  Even if it's not user-friendly, it's nice to know. :)

Maybe that shift-clicking can be implemented for Sim mode?  Shift-clicking would add that ship to your side instead of the enemy's, maybe,

YES. What if you could add other ships from your variants? That would be sweet.

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 02:50:14 PM »

Well if it's a dev aid why not kill two birds with one stone and build a proper simulator, one that we can use for our own ends while you can use it to test ship balance with a degree of comfort.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 02:51:50 PM »

I think it's best to move this to suggestions now. ;D
I'm fine with just adding the shift-click to make that ship go yo your side, simple yet effective. :)