Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 281

Author Topic: Project Ironclads TC (28 of April, 2017) Source files for the mod  (Read 1638905 times)

Sabaton

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Project Ironclads Total Conversion, version 6.6.4.1 (0.6.2a)
« Reply #2445 on: February 02, 2014, 12:00:01 PM »

Keep thinking, pirates are a minor faction, it's unlikely they'll get something like a prototype, it would be an unstable one at that.
 Thou they do have more ships than aliens and AI.

Edit: Banko, that is actually a really good idea!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 12:50:14 PM by Sabaton »

Okim

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Okim`s Modelling stuff
« Reply #2446 on: February 02, 2014, 12:17:06 PM »

I once planned them to have a phase jumper scrap-buil ship with parts from Alien frigate. But as you can see Marauders have never seen Aliens in campaign, so they wont have anything alien-techy :)

Bankoleva

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2447 on: February 02, 2014, 12:28:17 PM »

I'm thinking since the pirates are all about scrapping and patching various ship pieces from their raids.... what if their prototype was from the Rockfly parts.

Conceptually Pirates don't have research stations, budgets or anything to facilitate any kind of technological advancement. So even if they came across AI or aliens they wouldn't be able to incorporate the tech anyway. Running on the basis that AI and Alien is too different to just throw in with normal human tech. However they would with the Rockfly take it's hide and slap it on the hull of their ship. Hell they might take the head and put it on the front of the ship as a hood ornament to show their prowess or scare traders. That wouldn't take research or tech know how... just creativity and it ties right into what they already do.

Essentially the Pirate prototype would be the heaviest armored (not as much as the Rockfly) ship out there. That's their special. Damn hard to kill.... Which considering how easy they are to kill comparatively to the real factions kinda makes sense they'd build a heavily durable ship.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 12:43:15 PM by Bankoleva »

Okim

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Okim`s Modelling stuff
« Reply #2448 on: February 02, 2014, 01:53:20 PM »

Forget about pirate prototype :)

The only pirates who scrap-build their ships are Marauders and they are far away from any rock flies, AIs or aliens. They are in the middle of the War and are busy plundering its spoils.

SpaceRiceBowl

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2449 on: February 02, 2014, 05:51:20 PM »

Eh? I think you forgot to change the title from 6.6.4.1 to 6.7
Edit: Nevermind, you fixed it
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 12:12:49 AM by SpaceRiceBowl »
I really don't know what I'm doing...

Okim

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Okim`s Modelling stuff
Re: Project Ironclads Total Conversion, version 6.7 (0.6.2a)
« Reply #2450 on: February 04, 2014, 01:11:21 AM »

Anything to report, guys?

reactorcore

« Reply #2451 on: February 04, 2014, 02:13:03 PM »

Gonna give this mod a try. Does it have a win-state or is it just a sandbox with no end-goal?

Okim

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Okim`s Modelling stuff
« Reply #2452 on: February 04, 2014, 02:21:00 PM »

Are there any mods with an end-goal actually?

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2453 on: February 04, 2014, 02:28:29 PM »

Yeah, Xenoargh's Vacuum has a win state if you defeat every single enemy apparently, which I think is a text pop-up saying "You win" or something. I've never done that so you'd have to ask him about that.

Bankoleva

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2454 on: February 04, 2014, 05:37:32 PM »

Yeah, Xenoargh's Vacuum has a win state if you defeat every single enemy apparently, which I think is a text pop-up saying "You win" or something. I've never done that so you'd have to ask him about that.

It works but it's rough.... last time i tested it about a month ago. Interestingly it's literally if you defeat only your enemies. so if you stay friendly with the whole universe and only kill off 1 enemy race ... you win. Still a solid move forward though.

At the very least we know it's possible to program it in.

reactorcore

« Reply #2455 on: February 04, 2014, 05:45:47 PM »

Yeah, I suggested for him to add that and it was perfect, despite its simplicity.

Xeno actually took it a bit futher and also added some text saying about the past of his mod, how it came to be and what was its purpose, maybe even a credits lists of contributing people too (can't remember if there was credits, would totally work though) which made the game feel really satisfying when it ended by having beaten every potential challenge the mod could offer.

The best part was that type of "you win" message doesn't forcibly end the game, but allows you to continue playing in a more sandbox-mess-around sense. Really flexible solution.

Okim

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Okim`s Modelling stuff
« Reply #2456 on: February 04, 2014, 09:00:03 PM »

Well, defeat the mothership in Ironclads and imagine that a message pop-ups saying that you have saved humanity from its doom and from now on are considered heroes of the humanity :)

As far as i know original campaign wont have any winning conditions.

Vensalir

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: February 05, 2014, 12:47:55 AM »

I've been playing for a few days now and everything works quite well actually. Stability has improved greatly for me since the last release, haven't had a single crash in more than 10 hours of play.

I really like what you've done with the mod, especially planetary exploration. It complements very well with the rest of the game I think, and is a viable alternative to piracy or trading for the new player. I've also tried the new UIN Prototype (I always play UIN) and it's really powerful. The only complaint I have is that it's actually a bit difficult to use it's main gun due to it's rotation speed. It turns so quick you have to zoom in a lot to get accurate shots of the particle cannon, which is already not the easiest gun to use due to the slow speed of the projectiles. Most of the time, I end up spraying an arc in front of me instead of hammering the same point because of the violence of the turns.

Personally, I'd rather have a lower turn speed and a universal mount instead of an energy one for the main gun. UIN large energy guns area mainly short ranged, and being able to mount a railgun on the ship would enable it to play in a support role better. Or those really really neat dual 60pdr guns  ;D

Anyways, great mod as always, really enjoying it so far !

Okim

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Okim`s Modelling stuff
« Reply #2458 on: February 05, 2014, 01:13:51 AM »

Well, its all about practice actually. I for one have no problems aiming the ship, however i use strafe and mouse point to rotate it (its very easy, actually: point the mouse in the direction you need and press shift - Italy will swing and fix firmly at the mouse pointer).

As for universal mount. I kinda wish this ship to remain balanced compared to other prototypes. Currently both UIN and XLE new ships are somewhat more powerful than RSF and ISA, imho. Giving Italy a universal mount will make her too powerful.

Okim

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Okim`s Modelling stuff
« Reply #2459 on: February 05, 2014, 01:32:08 AM »

Rethough Bankoleva`s idea about Rock-Fly-pirates. I think that XLE and UIN need a new enemy to fight against. Rockmancers :)

I actually think that this faction will help me to make Rock Fly parts a bit more valuable (giving better prices for them at this faction`s stations, providing conversion options and even growing a Rock Fly for your self...).

Now i just need to find a way to meld an XLE/UIN ship with Rock Fly parts. Or may be just create some absolutely new faction style instead. Need to think about this...
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 281