Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 281

Author Topic: Project Ironclads TC (28 of April, 2017) Source files for the mod  (Read 1644596 times)

NoImageAvailable

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Project Ironclads Total Conversion, version 6.6.2 (0.6.1a)
« Reply #2265 on: November 11, 2013, 12:42:19 PM »

I kinda feel sorry for making something that kills the joy of some people just by being too huge  :(

Well, it makes the mod that much more awesome for people who do have the hardware required. And for that you have to draw a line for minimum system requirements somewhere. After all, I can't really expect to play the newest AAA titles on my old Dendy either, can I?

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: November 11, 2013, 01:52:13 PM »

I kinda feel sorry for making something that kills the joy of some people just by being too huge  :(

Eh - its not your fault at all. You're just the first to push the envelope big. The final game is meant to be much bigger than this... its just that Alex has never needed before to optimize the save size and the save/load methods. I'd guess that the saves are somewhere between 10 and 100 times larger in memory than strictly needed due to using xml (though compression may reduce that to reasonable numbers). Not only that, but I'm also guessing that the load method attempts to do a complete load before instantiation rather than use a streaming approach (or worse yet it instantiates as it goes but does not clear out its loaded data - worst of both worlds) and I know that the program does not clear out current instances before a load because you can attempt a load while playing.

I suspect Alex will fix the save/load memory issue soon - he's certainly aware of it and its starting to cause problems. No time like when its needed to do optimization :)

ArkAngel

• Captain
  • The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do
    • View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: November 12, 2013, 02:24:37 PM »

This is really odd, I can't seem to save the changes to the vmparams file. I am logged in as administrator so I am not sure what is going wrong. Any ideas?
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."

OOZ662

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: November 12, 2013, 02:28:24 PM »

You either have to specifically run the program you're editing it with as an administrator by right clicking its icon or EXE, or edit it by copying it to your Documents or Desktop, changing it, then putting it back. Make sure you're also running Starsector as an administrator or Windows may be redirecting your save files and config changes to some other magical place on the disk called the VirtualStore.

Alternatively, move Starsector out of the Program Files folder.
It is law that any specific ship you want will not be available. If it is available, it will be gone by the time you're capable of buying it.

NoImageAvailable

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2269 on: November 12, 2013, 09:43:42 PM »

This is really odd, I can't seem to save the changes to the vmparams file. I am logged in as administrator so I am not sure what is going wrong. Any ideas?

Check if it is read-only

ArkAngel

• Captain
  • The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do
    • View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: November 13, 2013, 10:43:02 AM »

Now it can't read the file, my computer just hates me aparently. I'm probably just using the wrong program to open up the file to edit it.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 10:45:59 AM by ArkAngel »
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."

oranoron

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2271 on: November 13, 2013, 11:10:06 AM »

Canadian Faction when? With such important economic partnerships and a strong sciences & aerospace industry I find it hard to believe there isn't a Canadian presence.

Okim

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Okim`s Modelling stuff
« Reply #2272 on: November 13, 2013, 11:32:42 AM »

Its part of ISA as well as South American countries and Japan.

There wont be any more standard human factions. Might be that 'first-pioneers-who-got-left-behind' faction as an enemy of XLE/UIN, but i promise nothing.

NoImageAvailable

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: November 13, 2013, 11:34:50 AM »

Canadian Faction when? With such important economic partnerships and a strong sciences & aerospace industry I find it hard to believe there isn't a Canadian presence.

If you're going by modern day aerospace industry the only faction would be RSF, since everyone else just pays them to launch their stuff into space :P

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: November 13, 2013, 12:20:34 PM »

Thanks.

There are another issues with the journal i`m aware of. For example - depot and storage stations list are bugged, systems not showing both depots and storage stations, some missing "(" and other symbols in texts and lists etc. Just telling that i know some problems exist with this new feature.

BTW, how do you find the Journal? Was it worth the effort? What it needs?

Journal is great in pretty much ever part of the game. If Vanilla Starsector gets any more complex it'll need one too.
Speaking of, the Map Legend in the Journal is missing one type of station. I don't recall which one, but there's one missing.

Okim

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Okim`s Modelling stuff
« Reply #2275 on: November 13, 2013, 10:56:18 PM »

If you mean pirate stations - their icon is pretty obvious and easily recognisable on the map ;)

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: November 14, 2013, 12:03:26 PM »

I got it open right now, the Legend doesn't list:
P
R
, which appear on the Map.

Okim

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Okim`s Modelling stuff
« Reply #2277 on: November 14, 2013, 03:00:45 PM »

P is for Security Station.
R is for the Research Lab.

Will fix it, thanks.

muttiman

« Reply #2278 on: November 15, 2013, 10:55:35 AM »

somebody who is able to play normal without coruppted saves, can you tell me your java version plz?

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: November 15, 2013, 11:03:06 AM »

Java 7 64-bit Update 25.
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 281