Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Manual crew assignement  (Read 2712 times)

Gabrybbo

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Manual crew assignement
« on: September 07, 2012, 11:54:10 AM »

Today i came up with a little idea: allow the player to "force" a certain crew level on a ship, given that you have enough experienced crew to do it, without having to adjust the ship order 1000 times in the Fleet screen.

Let's proceed with an example:

If i have a ship that will probably be heavily damaged during almost every fight (this is just a random motivation) i may want to use regular crew, easier to replace, instead of veteran or elite crew. The problem is that if i have enough veteran crew in my fleet my ship's crew will include some of those and i can't do anything about it.
In this case i can "push a button" (or whatever) and a menu appears allowing me to choose what type of crew i want on my ship. The rest of my ships will be assigned their crew normally.

I don't know if i explained my idea well enough to make it understandable, but i hope so.  :)
...you can be assured that whatever comes out of the dev-oven will be fantastic and delicious. And it will also include frosting and sprinkles.

sKarpunch

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Manual crew assignement
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 04:49:01 AM »

oh i see, so you can give all of the green crew to the fighters, and have higher ranked crew in the flag ship? not a bad idea
One should be a well of knowledge, not a fountain.-Reddit

-----------------------
END TRANSMISSION
-----------------------

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 09:04:04 AM »

Well this has been suggested many times before. Please use the search function before making a new topic.

I think this is good, but you can still get the same results by placing your ships in the correct order.

Gabrybbo

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 10:05:07 AM »

Well this has been suggested many times before. Please use the search function before making a new topic.

Actually I did. I searched "crew" in this section, but i didn't find any thread with the same topic.  :)
But i could have missed it, of course.  ;)

I think this is good, but you can still get the same results by placing your ships in the correct order.
This doesn't work if you have enough experienced crew to man every ship you have. Right now it doesn't happen, but in the final game we'll have less ships in our fleet than now (at least in the first hours), so it could become an issue.
It would also simplify crew management. Right now it's a pain when you have to put a new ship in the first position to give her some elite crewmen, too many clicks for such a simple thing, imho.  :)
...you can be assured that whatever comes out of the dev-oven will be fantastic and delicious. And it will also include frosting and sprinkles.

Catra

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 10:27:11 AM »

i think this would make it abit harder for crew management, as right now you can see where the border between vets and regs are, but if we can just click and change, we would have to go through each ship to see if that's their poisition based crew level or one we designated for ourselves.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 10:40:56 AM »

Maybe I'm missing something, but why wouldn't you want your ships fighting at their best? If you have enough veteran crew that even your fighters are loaded up with them, why not let the vets fly them? The crew losses from fighters aren't that bad anymore, and with a higher crew level they have a smaller chance of being destroyed completely.

Squigzilla

• Commander
  • SQUIG Industries
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 11:13:37 AM »

Maybe I'm missing something, but why wouldn't you want your ships fighting at their best? If you have enough veteran crew that even your fighters are loaded up with them, why not let the vets fly them? The crew losses from fighters aren't that bad anymore, and with a higher crew level they have a smaller chance of being destroyed completely.

This makes sense from an immersion perspective as well.  Imagine you were a new recruit in a combat fleet and your admiral addressed you and your fellow pilots over an intercom:

"We're about to engage a large Hegemony fleet loaded with capital ships.  Our Broadsword wings are guaranteed to suffer heavy casualties during their attack runs, and veteran crew are incredibly difficult to replace.  Therefore, our fighter aces will chill in the Apogee's cocktail lounge while you meatbags engage the enemy and eat flak cannon shots.  Oh, quit whining and take one for the team."

That's not a huge confidence booster :D
High Admiral Davian MacNaile of the SQUIG Industries Human Resources Motivational Flotilla

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 12:54:12 PM »

Put all your green crew into an unarmed ship with lots of crew needed for laughs.