Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Display suggestion:damage display  (Read 2465 times)

death03

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Display suggestion:damage display
« on: September 08, 2012, 10:23:23 PM »

Hi,dear devs,I used to play GSB and in that game,ship damage would display as armor holes and structure expose(and maybe on fire),but in starfarer,when ship get damaged they looks like melting(and looks less realistic compare to the GSB),will it be changed in the "real" style(at least IMO) in the future?
Thank you

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
Re: Display suggestion:damage display
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 10:32:04 PM »

not a dev but the answer to your question is unlikely...

(also I'm a gsb vet too, nice to meet you :))

the way damage is handled here is fundamentally different from GSB, in GSB each ship has a few points where they can be hit and thus the damage is distributed on the hull. Here the ships mostly get hit on the edges of the sprite... don't think it would look good with hull breaches all over the edges.
mmm.... tartiflette

FlashFrozen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 10:44:11 PM »

The damage is displayed currently where your ship will be poked full of holes, look at your ship AFTER the glowing/melting has cooled off. You'll notice some deep black cracks all over.

I'm personally a fan of the melting, but I think it's not good enough ^.^
just as a personal choice, I'd want melting to be more of a energy weapon damage only, and say high explosive lots of smoke and shrapnel, and kinetic will be bright sparks, just to visual that your getting hit by different damage types.

The melting effect also needs a bit of.. acceleration, or how should I put it, I want it to glow more, but not only when the armor is about to be completely destroyed, I want it to glow bright as heck even when there's still 85% armor. But also to have it "cool off" faster,

I kinda think that the current damage modelling system is good, but it does have limitations, have a large enough ship and you'll noticed they'll die from pretty "localized" damage, I'm thinking why not spread that damage effect around when have reached a certain threshold, say at 75% hull, you'll get random "damage burns" applied over your hull ( either only cosmetic or actual game play affecting) and 50% they become much pronounced, and when your near 10% you'll pretty much be looking like how you would be after a ship explosion.

It's sort of a homogenization, to make damage that's been critically inflicted in only one area show up relatively affecting your ship in widespread,

Or you can take out the random damage sprite, and sort of, propagate it deeper into the hull.

death03

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 11:00:31 PM »

gunnyfreak,nice to meet you too :)

FlashFrozen, Yes,i've noticed the damage display when ships "cool down",but the melt effect looks strange,i agree that if this effect only applied on energy based weapons would be better

sKarpunch

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 04:47:43 AM »

well, talking about capital ships going down from one spot? We are in space so i imagine that the hull catastrophically fails and the vacuum clears the ship of people by uh.. popping them  ;D
One should be a well of knowledge, not a fountain.-Reddit

-----------------------
END TRANSMISSION
-----------------------

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 05:00:05 AM »

Really? I think the damage looks absolutely great in Starfarer, much better than the smoking holes in GSB. With the exception of ships explosions, those are definitely cooler in GSB. It would really help starfarer's look to have randomized multi-stage explosion, possible even with torn-off hull fragments.

...and I would not die so often from being to close to an exploding ship if there was a little warning time.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 12:56:45 PM »

I like the current floating numbers sytem, what does bother me is that damage from ships or objects that aren't yours don't display to you which is disappointing and means you can't as easily tell how much armor is taken off of a ship your ally is fighting.