Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Question: Crew Exp  (Read 3434 times)

Graidon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Question: Crew Exp
« on: September 07, 2012, 02:26:48 AM »

So, I really like the system for the advancement of your crew members from green to elite.

However, I haven't been able to figure out exactly what that does, beyond a new shiny symbol.

Can anyone explain the difference between how a ship with a veteran crew behaves and how one with a green crew does?  Any tips on which ships should take priority when assigning veteran crew members?

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
Re: Question: Crew Exp
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 02:47:35 AM »

Elite crew has better accuracy when on autopilot and autoaim, better ship/fighter wing piloting, better damage control, etc. They're all much more expensive, though.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 02:50:07 AM »

IF you go to the cargo tab and hover the cursor over crew, it will show you the benefits. Better crewed ships will take less damage, be faster  and aim better.

better ship/fighter wing piloting

Sure about that? I thought it were only the three things mentioned above. 
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 02:51:58 AM by Gothars »
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

LazyWizard

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 02:57:27 AM »

If you hover over the crew in your cargo, it should give you a breakdown of the bonuses each level grants. Aside from the stat boosts, the major difference in crew level is an improved ability to lead targets (aiming where it will be instead of where it is).

It's always good to have high-level crew in ships that use ballistic weapons, since the bonus to aim matters so much with slow-travelling projectiles. Other than that, it depends on your personal play style. If you travel with a carrier fleet, Elite fighters are much more likely to survive, but unless you're very good you'll go through crew faster than new ones level up. I personally like to have my frigates elite, fighters veteran, and everything else uses what's left.

As an aside, Green crew are almost never worth it unless you're severely low on cash, as they grant penalties to your ship instead of bonuses (see below for the sole exception).

Also, keep in mind that the percentage of crew that needs to be experienced goes down as size category increases, so Veteran and Elite capital ships are a possibility. You can then fill the remainder with cheap Green crew.

Edit: ninja'd. I need to stop taking so long writing these things. ;)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 02:59:48 AM by LazyWizard »

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 03:01:17 AM »

I'm quite sure of that. I've noticed that my talons and broadswords are surprisingly more survivable with elites than greens.

FalseDead

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 10:20:44 AM »

I'm quite sure of that. I've noticed that my talons and broadswords are surprisingly more survivable with elites than greens.

That would be the only take 90% damage and moving 10% faster (Maybe some benefit from being able to hit the enemy fighters as well)

Ghoti

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 01:08:45 PM »

talons have to shoot down swarmers frequently, being able to actually lead a target is pretty important for them.