Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Missiles track targets of turret  (Read 1841 times)

Ghoti

• Captain
    • View Profile
Missiles track targets of turret
« on: September 06, 2012, 09:15:04 PM »

So I'm not 100% sure what the behavior currently is. I've got a point defense missile launcher, believe it or not, it works pretty well. However when you set a target, the launcher will point towards a fighter or incoming missile, fire, and the fired missile will go towards MY target, not the PDML's target. Weird thing though, because that doesn't happen 100% of the time.

Try it for yourself. when you're not targeting anything, or you're shooting it manually, everything works great.
Things only go sour when you set it on automatic, then set a target.

http://www.mediafire.com/?h00adn9j8yb1uov

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
Re: Missiles track targets of turret
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 09:25:36 PM »

If it's on Autofire and you've set a Target, I agree, it should continue to function as PD first, and only target the Target if there are no valid PD targets within its range.  Probably a minor bug with that code; Alex added that into the game in a real hurry :)
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 12:48:11 AM »

Love this idea
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 10:03:21 AM »

So I'm not 100% sure what the behavior currently is. I've got a point defense missile launcher, believe it or not, it works pretty well. However when you set a target, the launcher will point towards a fighter or incoming missile, fire, and the fired missile will go towards MY target, not the PDML's target. Weird thing though, because that doesn't happen 100% of the time.

Try it for yourself. when you're not targeting anything, or you're shooting it manually, everything works great.
Things only go sour when you set it on automatic, then set a target.

http://www.mediafire.com/?h00adn9j8yb1uov

Hmm - not seeing the issue. Spent maybe 10 minutes running through it in a simulation, and it goes after missiles regardless of what I've got targeted. It *does* go after the targeted ship if the missiles are out of range or out of arc, though - maybe that's what you're seeing?

I'd suggest adding "DO_NOT_AIM" to the hints (instead of GUIDED_POOR). It'll still try to aim at the target, but won't assume it can't hit something because it's out of arc, or hold off on firing because it's not pointed right at the target.

Ghoti

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 12:10:32 PM »

you messed with it for 10 minutes without seeing strangeness? Even with do_not_aim the flares have a habit of going after out of range targets rather than the reason they got launched. I'll make a video of it later today.