Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 75

Author Topic: Vacuum - Build a Stellar Empire. (0.62a ALPHA build 34) (TC Mod)  (Read 420629 times)

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
Re: Vacuum - Build a Stellar Empire. (0.62a ALPHA build 28) (TC Mod)
« Reply #885 on: June 04, 2014, 07:09:11 PM »

The Gaurani assault fighter:

Getting pretty close to a complete set.  Probably time to finish getting these guys game-ready and start getting the weapons nailed down :)

The faction, thus far:

Grinnell, Gaurani, Muir, Carson, Fossey, Pincho, Cousteau, Darwin, Evelyn
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: June 05, 2014, 07:52:48 PM »

OK, all of the Gaian ships are in.  Balanced, fully-featured, no; but they have custom names and all that blah-blah. 

Oh, and more-interesting initial dialogs with Fleets; I'm thinking I may also start fleshing out the sub-dialog stuff as well, give players a way to do some trade with fleets. 

Also, got fleets to be more aggressive, in terms of seeking out players' fleets, which makes the early game a little more interesting :)

Boarding Teleporters are cool; it's so nice to have a way to board ships during battles, instead of having to wait for Boarding Shuttles.  Still working on the mechanics of this feature but I think it's going to be Fun.
Xeno's Mod Pack

joey4track

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: June 05, 2014, 09:16:12 PM »

Nice, next build is going to be sweet  ;D

Richyread

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: June 06, 2014, 07:07:57 AM »

Nice, next build is going to be sweet  ;D

+1 from me too  ;)

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: June 08, 2014, 02:26:31 PM »

OK, Boarding Teleporters are (roughly) tuned. 

Added Vampyr Cluster and Vampyr Cannon, and the Thor and Odin projectile cannons (have fun guessing their mechanics, lol).  Still haven't written any special System codes for the Gaians or anything yet, but I may delay that until the next build; I want to spend time on the Boss so bad, lol.
Xeno's Mod Pack

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: June 10, 2014, 12:14:16 PM »

Got the Vampyr series of weapons sprited out.  Still need to sprite the Odin and the Boarding Teleporter, then I think it's time to release this build and get working on the Boss again :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

doodeeda

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: June 12, 2014, 04:37:15 AM »

Hello, I really like your mod from what I've read so far. Unfortunately I'm not able to run the mod very well as my frames drop very low whenever I move using thrusters or fire laser beams, etc. Is there anyway I can 'lower the graphic settings' so to speak?

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: June 12, 2014, 09:54:25 AM »

Sure thing.  Just disable the shader system for now.  In the mod folder's main directory, you'll see a file marked "settings.json".  To disable the shaders, open that up with Notepad (or your favorite text editor) and change the line marked:

"enableShaders":true,

To:

"enableShaders":false,

That will disable the shaders entirely.  In a case like this, where you're seeing a lot of slowdown with just a few lights operating, that may be all you can do.

Also, please report the issue in the ShaderLib thread, along with whatever GPU (graphics card) you have, so that the author of that portion of Vacuum can know about it.  If you're using a really old Intel chipset, disabling the shaders is probably about the only thing you can do for now, as I'm just using the light and bloom system right now.
Xeno's Mod Pack

doodeeda

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: June 12, 2014, 06:03:20 PM »

Great! I will do that and thanks.

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: June 12, 2014, 06:13:46 PM »

NP, hope you have fun :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

doodeeda

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: June 12, 2014, 07:39:26 PM »

I have a few more questions if you don't mind! (I have tried the search function to no avail)
1. How do you actually join a faction and fight for them? I've been playing Project Ironclads so I'm used to those mechanics, but I haven't seen any bases where it gives me an option to join.
2. Is there a journal anywhere which keeps track of which systems have which factions and what stations a faction controls? And that also keeps track of all the alliances and enemies a faction has?
3. Is there a repository of all the ships of a faction? The descriptions of some ships don't say what faction it belongs to, and I can't tell myself :P
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 07:43:23 PM by doodeeda »

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: June 12, 2014, 08:09:11 PM »

1. How do you actually join a faction and fight for them?
Hmm.  I may have to change the text description here a bit, to make it clear how play works. 

You don't join a Faction.  At the start of play, you pick your "former employer", which sets your relationships with various Factions to the same as your former employer's and gives you access to certain ships.  Think of your former employers as your "allies".

However, your overall goal is to take over the Sector; to do that, you'll need to start up your own Faction and completely defeat your enemies (whereupon you get a victory screen).  That is, and will remain, one of the core goals of the mod.

This you can do by building Stations (land on a planet to learn more about that), which can then build fleets, which can destroy other Stations and build new Stations occasionally on their own.  It will irk all of the Factions in that System, though; they don't like it when you encroach on their territories.  So be careful :)

2. Is there a journal anywhere which keeps track of which systems have which factions and what stations a faction controls? And that also keeps track of all the alliances and enemies a faction has?
Not yet.  The faction relationships are static, in terms of who's allied with whom and all that; they don't change over time atm. 

This may change later, if I want the AI factions to gang up on whoever's the most powerful or whatnot, but it's currently static; your character has emerged into a specific historical scenario, so to speak, and the wars that are on-going have been going on since before the start of play.

In terms of displaying that data, the main issue is that we can't see anything in Hyperspace that shows where enemy / friendly bases are, so it requires some exploration to figure this out, and can take quite a while, if you choose a really big Sector size. 

Anyhow, I think that can be done with some OpenGL but I've been pretty busy working on other things and haven't taken a serious look at it yet.

3. Is there a repository of all the ships of a faction?
No; the Codex doesn't allow for sorting by Faction, and the huge number of ships in the mod, and the relatively frequency of change makes building some static Thing here on the Forums pretty un-attractive. 

Perhaps there's a way I could do it within a Dialog automatically, though, so that players could view that data at Stations instead.  I will definitely look at that, it's a good feature idea for newbies :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

doodeeda

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: June 12, 2014, 08:20:25 PM »

Ah, I see. Hm, why is it that I see Independent's stations are sometimes taken over by Hegemony forces from the text that shows?

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: June 12, 2014, 09:24:32 PM »

That shouldn't be happening; they're allies.  Will take a look at that for this upcoming build; if it's a bug there, will be easy to fix.
Xeno's Mod Pack

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: June 13, 2014, 12:16:50 PM »

OK, that bug (with friendlies / neutrals sometimes capturing stations via the stationWars() routine) is fixed, although I need to do some balance on it.  Also made the fleet AIs a bit "smarter"; expect more enemy fleets to attempt to attack you.

Got everything done but the two weapon sprites for the Odin and the Boarding Teleporter; will try and knock them out pretty fast and then let's get a build out for everybody to play for a bit, while I get back to work on the Boss stuff :)

[EDIT]Also got ShaderLib updated without too much hassle, so that issue should be resolved for most users seeing some slowdowns on certain GPUs.[/EDIT]
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 12:27:45 PM by xenoargh »
Xeno's Mod Pack
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 75