Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 75

Author Topic: Vacuum - Build a Stellar Empire. (0.62a ALPHA build 34) (TC Mod)  (Read 420534 times)

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
ALPHA Build 22 Released!
« Reply #810 on: May 23, 2014, 03:27:28 PM »

Alpha 22 is now complete.  

Much thanks to Dark.Revenant for all of the kindly assistance on doing early integration of ShaderLib :)

Warning:  this build requires a restart, period.

Features:
1.  Full integration with lights and other shader effects from Dark.Revenant's ShaderLib and a bunch of SFX tweaks.
2.  Players may now access a storage facility from any friendly / neutral location.
3.  Crew leveling mechanic has been replaced with a Crew competency mechanic.  Different types of Crew give different bonuses to player fleets.
4.  Crew must now be paid, every week.  It's set to be pretty easy at the moment; expect it to get harder later.
5.  Some new weapons have been added, such as the Laser Saw, which is awesome.
6.  Smarter, nastier Admiral AI for the enemy.
7.  Smarter use of Flux-based weapons by the Autofire AIs.
8.  A bunch of other little stuff I can't be bothered to mention :)

Fixes:
1.  All reported bugs are fixed.
2.  Some underlying bugs having to do with projectile detection have been fixed.
3.  Speedups for a few things.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 03:47:18 PM by xenoargh »
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Vacuum - Build a Stellar Empire. (0.62a ALPHA build 22) (TC Mod)
« Reply #811 on: May 23, 2014, 04:21:27 PM »

...and Alpha 23.  I think I set a new record for patching after release here :)

Fixes:
1. Admiral AI will now work properly in Escape scenarios.
2. Random dead spacecraft do not show up unless battles are big enough (I got a free Paragon while flying my first Frigate, pretty sure that's not a feature, lol).
3.  Asteroids show up in battles again, like they should.

None of this should require a restart.
Xeno's Mod Pack

OhNoesBunnies

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Vacuum - Build a Stellar Empire. (0.62a ALPHA build 23) (TC Mod)
« Reply #812 on: May 23, 2014, 04:46:06 PM »

Fatal: JSONObject["enemyMissileColor"] not found.

I'm getting errors like this every time I try to start up the mod--any requirements I should know about?

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: May 23, 2014, 05:06:16 PM »

You should not be running any utility mods with this mod; it has Combat Radar and ShaderLib already installed :)  I'll make a note for that on the install page.
Xeno's Mod Pack

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: May 23, 2014, 06:23:19 PM »

Combat Attribute still boosts combat readiness Cap, which is now irrelevant. Not a huge deal, but probably should replace or remove that.
I think is easy for Simba and Mufasa sing the Circle of Life when they're on the top of the food chain, I bet the zebras hate that song.

Cigarettes are a lot like hamsters. Perfectly harmless, until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: May 23, 2014, 06:54:12 PM »

Yeah, that and the repair thing all need to get fixed; I also need to explain to players that their fleets are immortal so they should feel free to use up ships, adjust crew levels again so that big fleets of small ships are more attractive, etc., etc.- I'll try to get that stuff done during the next build while I get the Boss stuff done :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
ALPHA build 24 released
« Reply #816 on: May 23, 2014, 07:00:21 PM »

Alpha 24 has been released. 

Updates ShaderLib to build 1.22. 

No restart required.
Xeno's Mod Pack

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Alpha 25 released
« Reply #817 on: May 23, 2014, 08:00:35 PM »

Updated ShaderLib to 1.23; updated the Newbie Guide.
Xeno's Mod Pack

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Alpha 26 Released
« Reply #818 on: May 23, 2014, 08:49:48 PM »

Four releases today? Why not?

Fixes / Improves:
1. Combat Aptitude skill corrected.
2. Field Repairs is actually useful now (repairs ships 0.01% / second * level while in combat, or 1%/second at level 10).
3. ECCM Hull Mod is buffed / fixed (missile maneuverability + 50%, damage + 25%).
Xeno's Mod Pack

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Vacuum - Build a Stellar Empire. (0.62a ALPHA build 26) (TC Mod)
« Reply #819 on: May 23, 2014, 09:01:56 PM »

OK, that pretty much addresses the Aptitude / Skill Tree bugs / useless skills... other than the Marine effectiveness perk, which I keep dithering about. 

I think that's going to get cut, but I still need to build the regenerating Command Points thing to finally replace the flat-cap CP system.

I don't suppose folks have had time to really play it much, yet, but if there are things that need fixing right away, feel free to holler.  I tested the Storage thing a bit, and it appears to be OK; that was surprisingly hard to get working nicely, right now switching Dialog contexts isn't terribly clean.

I probably won't get much done until Tuesday, though, other than messing with early Boss mechanics stuff a bit more tonight.
Xeno's Mod Pack

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Alpha 27 Released
« Reply #820 on: May 24, 2014, 01:50:10 AM »

Alpha 27 has been released.

Fixes / Changes:
1. Refactored the "immortal fleet" code to be a bit less spaghetti-code and easier to maintain, match the Newbie Guide description and I fixed a couple of bugs found with edge-case stuff.
2. Fixed some text descriptions.

Neither change should require a restart.

Now that I've played with the "immortal fleet" option working... I think it's fun, and it definitely discourages save-scumming and makes Iron Mode a lot less about tediously avoiding any losses, ever.  I do think I need to revisit how many Crew each class of ship needs to be functional as I get that part of the balance tightened up; it's still too cheap (imo, anyhow) to afford big fleets of big ships; I had a half-million credits after a couple of hours, same as Vanilla- the only good part about it was that I could spend it on something useful.  

But I definitely think that I'd rather see people building bigger fleets of smaller stuff because it works better economically, because the results are cooler and more satisfying (again, imo), in terms of having a spectacular battle; it's a lot more emotionally satisfying to be able to fight a huge battle and take losses.  

I also think that it's important to price fighter wings in terms of crew rather than initial price; IRL, the price of a fighter wing is all the money that goes into keeping the finicky beasts running and the huge amount it costs to train new pilots, and that probably needs to get reflected in the way this works; a Wing might be cheap on DPs compared to, say, a Destroyer, but expensive on Crew and thus more costly over time.

I also think Making Do is vastly OP in that context, and I'm thinking it needs to become a minor capstone buff, especially now that the tree it's in is inherently useful, instead of something you might drop a point or two into in late-game.
Xeno's Mod Pack

NightfallGemini

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Vacuum - Build a Stellar Empire. (0.62a ALPHA build 27) (TC Mod)
« Reply #821 on: May 24, 2014, 03:32:00 AM »

What's an effective starting fleet style? In the old version, I tried the old school frigate 'wolf pack' and it worked for the most part, but this time I tried fighter wings and it felt more like something to convert to late game rather than something to roll with early on. With the new crew system it's a very fragile balance to strike, and I like having things just perfect when I start out. Any pointers?

Wazubaba

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: May 24, 2014, 09:51:52 AM »

I found a very small bug that will keep the mod from working on linux: graphics/shaders/distortions/ripple/0001.png should have .PNG instead.
On linux file-names are case-sensitive  ;D

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: May 24, 2014, 01:04:39 PM »

Thanks for the heads-up, I'll fix that.  Technically, that's an issue with ShaderLib, file a bug report.
Xeno's Mod Pack

Namelessjake

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: May 24, 2014, 03:46:29 PM »

When running Vacuum I can't see the ships in other fleets, just the burn of their engines. Also they don't appear when I mouse over the fleet. Is this meant to happen and if not how do I fix it?
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 75