Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 75

Author Topic: Vacuum - Build a Stellar Empire. (0.62a ALPHA build 34) (TC Mod)  (Read 420574 times)

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
Re: Vacuum - Build a Stellar Empire. (0.62a ALPHA build 21) (TC Mod)
« Reply #795 on: May 20, 2014, 07:16:04 PM »

Work with lights and other shader-related things continues. 

Reaper explosions are improved quite a lot:

There is quite a bit of that kind of stuff still to be done but the FX overhaul is coming along.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: May 20, 2014, 10:10:11 PM »

I think the new CR / Crew system is working; there are some tests left to do.
Xeno's Mod Pack

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: May 20, 2014, 10:54:01 PM »

Yay, it's working, I think...

So now I need to re-organize how Fleet crew compositions get set and all that for the AI. 

I'm tempted to also allow a bonus for having more Crew than you actually need.  Instead of them being Supply-sucking useless mouths to feed... why not let them actually contribute?  Then the choices presented get even more interesting, imo; amongst other things, it'd make the Valkyrie actually valuable, for once. 

It's not entirely unrealistic, either; a "skeleton crew" is the bare minimum to run a ship at all IRL; it's not the ideal complement.  It'd be nice to simulate that a bit better.

I'll see about adding that factor in, fix the remaining bugs (I just introduced one, unfortunately) and then it's back to finishing up the current shader / light stuff.

Then the Boss.  This little side-jaunt has been useful; I finally know how I want the Boss to work, lol.
Xeno's Mod Pack

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: May 21, 2014, 01:01:09 AM »

I forget:  are the Irithia's torps shield-piercers or not, last build?  They are now:

Suprisingly, it doesn't exactly make them OP, merely not quite so outclassed; while a single player-piloted Irithia can take down an Onslaught or two with top character stats, you're not doing a bunch of them without running away, a lot.  I fixed a bunch of bugs related to catching / killing things that are cloaked or shield-piercing (effectively the same stuff) though.
Xeno's Mod Pack

Richyread

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: May 21, 2014, 01:54:28 AM »

..There is quite a bit of that kind of stuff still to be done but the FX overhaul is coming along.

I'd like to write some meaningful response but this image sums it up best....

Spoiler
[close]

;)

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: May 21, 2014, 02:43:34 AM »

Well, it appears most of the bugs are (probably) out of the Crew system.  About the only major thing I want to do before release, other than finish the first-pass stuff on the lights / shader toys is to work on the balance of a Neutron Nullifier- a straight counter vs. Neutron stuff, since it's the Achilles Heel of a bunch of the Factions. 

Now that Armor Regeneration feels roughly balanced, I think it's appropriate to stick that in, as it's kind of a cheap kill on Stations and a few of the capital / cruiser ships.  It'll probably be expensive enough that it caps an Armor Regeneration build sans shields, but you won't be able to do both shield-tank and armor tank... but you'll get your Flux back.  Gotta think about that, but I think this is a better way to go than just straight nerfing the Neutrons; they should be something you have to counter but at a cost you're going to have to think twice about, imo.

Did some playtesting tonight, mainly just seeing the pretty lights and the performance (it's up again, rarely went below 30 FPS on my hardware). 

Tried pulling a Glaug Station with a Black Eagle and a few Cruisers and a carrier.  Uh, no.  Just no. 

It went fine at first... I blew away a few Stations, the fighters did their thing, all was well.  Then the Annihilators showed up and we just died, horribly screaming (well, OK, not horribly screaming, because I haven't put radio chatter in yet, but whatever).

This is how scary I always wanted the Glaug to be; they're great when they have enough buffs.

However, I need to fix them up in Tech-Mining encounters; I'm not sure what's wrong but it's probably a goofy Faction file. 

They need a carrier in the midrange size to meet in Asteroid / Tech Miner fleets, too; they get pwnd far more easily than they really should; that, and the Haunter, which has always sucked, still sucks, instead of being at least plausibly dangerous. 

They're pretty much a cakewalk until the very end, unfortunately, when suddenly they're very scary and I desperately want a capital ship or three, because Cruisers just don't cut it.

That, and they need custom Stations, but that's going to have to wait for more free time than I have this week.

Oh, and... anybody play with the Repair Frigate yet?  I am seriously thinking that I will let them repair Armor, too; that would make them end-game items you'll really want to have, to re-heal damaged Neutronium Plating, even to the point of farming Hegemony fleets to get them... well, until I give them to more than one faction, anyhow.  The AI doesn't use them terribly well, of course.
Xeno's Mod Pack

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: May 21, 2014, 01:02:46 PM »

Did a Glaug base today.  It can be done; had only two capships, lost one; I drove a maxed-out Paragon shield tank. 

It can even be done without using Neutrons, I think; enough bombers and the Glaug are probably defeatable.

Anyhow... I still have a little more lighting stuff to do, but I think the rest of it's working; the crew system is fun.  The Boss will be the main priority of the next release.
Xeno's Mod Pack

Richyread

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: May 21, 2014, 02:24:09 PM »

Really looking forward to playing through all these updates.

Can't wait to see how it pans out. :)

Richy.

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: May 21, 2014, 08:08:33 PM »

Hey, glad you're excited.  Heck, I'm excited; there are a bunch of new things in this build; amongst other things, the visuals are considerably improved and performance is up again and the new Crew system is a neat idea- perhaps a little rough around the edges still, but it's definitely feeling like the right direction :)

I'm going to wait on the Boss; I got sidetracked with the rest of this stuff and I would like to get this version out and make sure it's reasonably stable while I get the Boss mechanics set up, as that'll probably take another week or so :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: May 21, 2014, 10:58:06 PM »

OK, the ship AIs are a little smarter about bumping into friendly stuff; we'll see how this works.

I also built a flux-management system for autofire AIs; they will manage the ship's Flux level as best as they can now; it's about as effective as human locking out control groups in a lot of cases.  IOW, expect ships with big flux problems to get better at handling the loads and considerably more dangerous because they aren't Overloading.
Xeno's Mod Pack

joey4track

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: May 22, 2014, 03:28:31 PM »

Am I correct in that there are no open  storage stations in this mod?

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: May 22, 2014, 04:33:50 PM »

Why?  Running out of room to store captured ships?  I doubt that will be a problem for most players much longer, heh...

Anyhow, I keep wanting to add an option to access your storage from a Station, but it has been a pretty low priority.  I'll see about that when the lights / SFX stuff is finally done.
Xeno's Mod Pack

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: May 22, 2014, 05:36:45 PM »

OK, the lighting data-entry stuff is mainly done.  Need to test a bunch of stuff first, but it's about ready.  Will see about adding Storage access here in a bit.
Xeno's Mod Pack

joey4track

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: May 22, 2014, 09:00:06 PM »

I'm confused.. Where can I store my excess ships and weapons? I have built multiple stations but I can only buy and sell from them and I can't store anything there  ???

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: May 23, 2014, 12:44:31 AM »

You can't, right now.  For various reasons, that feature was disabled in this alpha series really early on; it's not like Vanilla, where you really need to store much, though.  That said, I'll add that back in via a menu option at any Station you visit for this next build; I think everything else is now done, so I'll try to get that knocked out tomorrow if I have time :)
Xeno's Mod Pack
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 75