Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 75

Author Topic: Vacuum - Build a Stellar Empire. (0.62a ALPHA build 34) (TC Mod)  (Read 420554 times)

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Vacuum - Build a Stellar Empire. (0.62a ALPHA build 10) (TC Mod)
« Reply #450 on: February 07, 2014, 03:55:35 PM »

Back to my post yesterday about the Death Frog not dying in that base attack, I forgot to mention at the time I had level 10 construction - giving me +50% armour.

A nuke sneaking up on me? Maybe, I was zoomed out a bit so I may not have seen it.

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: February 07, 2014, 04:16:23 PM »

WOW, I was hit 3 times by a Sword Fish, and now I'm dead. WTF is that thing packing?!!?!

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: February 07, 2014, 04:28:19 PM »

WOW, I was hit 3 times by a Sword Fish, and now I'm dead. WTF is that thing packing?!!?!
Neutron Cannon, heh.

A nuke sneaking up on me? Maybe, I was zoomed out a bit so I may not have seen it.
That's my best guess; it's about the only thing other than a Heavy Plasma Cannon / Slammer that could one-hit a Death Frog.  It definitely wasn't 1000 Energy damage; that would just scuff the paint.

I forgot to mention at the time I had level 10 construction - giving me +50% armour.
Yeah, well, that was when the effect scaled with armor.  Now it's flat per hull size, which makes it slightly less difficult to buff / nerf.  The Death Frog is very, very tough, but it's certainly not invulnerable now.  I'm not 100% sure it's all balanced right, by any means, but it looks a lot better.  

Pergon vs. Death Frog is hilarious, though; the only way to win in a Death Frog is by flying backwards and not getting hit by that cannon (at least, stock).  The only way for the Pergon to win is by hitting with the cannon and timing the missiles to get the Death Frog when it gets close.

Anyhow, will post another build after I consider one of the burning questions (for me, anyhow)- whether to put in something fairly seriously Pew-Pew and Flux-based into the fixed-mount category.  Oh, and finally nerf the Glaug fighter Wings' DP costs, which are outrageously low for what they do.  Will get that done right away before I get distracted.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: February 07, 2014, 04:44:03 PM »

I'm currently in a drawn out battle with my Enforcer vs a Exigency ambush fleet consisting of one Yria and a Pergon...it is taking sooo long...

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: February 07, 2014, 04:54:59 PM »

Oh, and when do you get to board ships from encounters? I haven't had one yet. I don't think in a single encounter I've received a single ship since playing 0.9 (last build I played was 0.7)

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: February 07, 2014, 05:19:42 PM »

Oh, and when do you get to board ships from encounters? I haven't had one yet. I don't think in a single encounter I've received a single ship since playing 0.9 (last build I played was 0.7)

I understand, what your shaman can possibility enlarge weapon energy, 20-30 points. On that end, I mastered 35 points to violate compels that energy gets frost-bitten each 100%.
What kind of patron do you take us for? I mean, I see that you've received a single ship since you played.

Maybe you could specify some further info about your board ships. I'm interested in hearing from you.

What? I don't understand what you're saying.

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: February 07, 2014, 07:48:23 PM »

Possible bug, my ship was boarded (I believe) and my screen position was sent a few thousand SU NE of the battle, but I cannot transfer with my command shuttle to the other active battle participant.

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: February 07, 2014, 08:34:46 PM »

Decided to go as a Pirate faction and f*cking WOW are the boarding shuttles effective, I hadn't been able to purchase these under any other fleet I'd started as. These guys take over ships almost instantly, my fleet is swelling really quickly and I'm finally making progress.

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: February 07, 2014, 09:12:59 PM »

Possible bug, my ship was boarded (I believe) and my screen position was sent a few thousand SU NE of the battle, but I cannot transfer with my command shuttle to the other active battle participant.
Ergh, that's due to how boarding works; technically, the "boarded" ship is moved, cloned and then destroyed.  Will see if there's any way around that.
Xeno's Mod Pack

Nanao-kun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: February 07, 2014, 11:44:19 PM »

Alongside everything else in this mod, I really like how I don't need to spend supplies to repair at a station. Paying credits to have them repaired is way better in my opinion. Now if only I didn't have to pay to repair at my own stations. Or at least get a discount.

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: February 07, 2014, 11:59:57 PM »

A discount would be easy enough to do.  I'll get that done really quick for the next build :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: February 08, 2014, 12:26:48 AM »

At the moment I find the boarding shuttles un-balanced, and it's difficult to tell when and how they perform the boarding.

I would suggest that you give all ships...say...double their current health. You then have it that when a ship's health dips below 50% they become 'disabled'/controls locked out/no weapons/guns/engines etc. At this stage they are a valid 'target' for boarding, and not before they are flagged as 'disabled'.

Once a ship is in the disabled state they have a timer of between 20-50 seconds (or whatever balances it out) before their ship systems become re-enabled and are able to defend themselves and the 'disabled' flag is removed and they can no longer be boarded. The timer is increased or decreased depending on whether the ship had mods such as the automatic repair unit/regenerating armour etc.

Anyway, just a thought.

Right now about the only way I can get decent money is by boarding enemy vessels and then selling them later. However the boarding mechanism is unreliable, a lot of the time it works wonders, other times it doesn't seem to work at all. Also I have yet to find another station selling them so I can use them. The only one I have are from starting as a pirate, and the other was lost in combat.

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: February 08, 2014, 12:59:08 AM »

Y'know... now that I have a custom AI baseline, I could actually write a custom AI just for them, that makes them seek out Hulks and attempt to board them, maybe.

Anyhow, you should be capturing enemy ships pretty often and making a reasonable profit, provided you have Marines on board.  No Marines, no captures.
Xeno's Mod Pack

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: February 08, 2014, 01:21:08 AM »

I think the difference between them boarding 'in the middle of action' and boarding a 'hulk' as we know them, is that when a ship explodes and becomes a 'hulk' many of the weapons are destroyed. In which case there isn't much point in bringing it online again to resume battle on your side.

Usually when they're being taken over now they're often almost at full health and ready to turn against their former owner, which is really really cool. It's hard to say how to balance in-combat boarding.

I have a few Q's about boarding.
Does having more marines increase your boarding chance/effectiveness/speed?
Does the Spec Ops skill increase your effectiveness/boarding chance?
Where do I buy these suckers? I've searched over a dozen stations and have yet to find more of them.

Further queries about the game economics:
I'm aware of mining asteroids and boarding ships, but there no longer seems to be loot from battles and the credit payout is ... maybe just enough to cover supply expenses.
But I'm a little unclear as to the economic model required to achieve large amounts of cash.

If the new economic model of achieving financial gain is to board ships there needs to be a greater abundance of the boarding ships available at stations. Or not, I'd like to hear what I should be doing as I sometimes feel like I'm just not doing it right. If I hadn't started as a pirate with boarding shuttles, well I did 3 times and became frustrated very quickly and tried another faction.

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: February 08, 2014, 02:19:40 AM »

Actually another idea would be to either have the Valkyrie class ships as hosts to the boarding ship's, in the sense that they are Troop transport ships...soo maybe it makes lore sense for them to be hosts of them? That is opposed to them currently having assault drones as their 'subsystem'. Another would be to simply change the hue/colour, call it a bashkit and have that spawn the boarding ships and keep the current Valkyrie class as is.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 75