Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 75

Author Topic: Vacuum - Build a Stellar Empire. (0.62a ALPHA build 34) (TC Mod)  (Read 420813 times)

XpanD

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Vacuum - Build a Stellar Empire. (0.62a ALPHA build 9) (TC Mod)
« Reply #435 on: February 07, 2014, 09:37:33 AM »

Invincible, as in "I just took on a big fleet and survived two cruisers and three destroyers unloading on me without my hull dropping at all". Not talking default variants here, though - I put a bunch of hull mods on the ship myself, giving me a grand total of 105600 hull points. Would have to load back into the mod to see exactly what I put on there, but it did seem a bit broken. There was also a Conquest-class in one of the battles I was invincible in, which I couldn't seem to get down at all myself either. Could be I was just too weak for that one, though. Haven't tried any station battles yet, so not entirely sure what would happen there.

With all of that said, I love what else I've seen of this mod so far. The non-invincible battles I had were loads of fun, and immensely frantic. Looking forward to getting back into it, though Exerelin has my time for right now. :P

EDIT: Doing some testing on a huge independent fleet (48 ships, most of which appear to not be used against my small fleet), will let you know.
EDIT #2: Enabling Heavy Armor + Armored Mounts allows me to take damage, but very slowly. I suppose that makes sense, though the jump from 2900 armor (only heavy armor) to 3190 (both) does seem to make a big difference. Enabling all the hull-boosting mods (and nothing else, e.g. no specific damage reductions or shields) on top of that equals, from what I can see, full invincibility. Engines never seem to fail, either. Haven't found any big capital ships yet, but I can survive destroyers and cruisers without a single scratch using that configuration and still have some points to spare.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 10:04:28 AM by XpanD »

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: February 07, 2014, 10:06:34 AM »

From what you're saying, it all really depends on which Cruisers and all that.  If they were equipped mainly with Kinetic, then yeah, I can see it happening.  That's not really a bug, per se, it's just a matter of scale; if fighting a Station fleet, I really doubt you'd get the same results.

Anyhow, I guess I could put a flat cap on health regeneration, basically put a ceiling on it so that Hull Mod combos + character buffs never quite result in invulnerability, or simply make the buff a flat buff instead of scalar.  I'll think about that.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

XpanD

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: February 07, 2014, 10:38:25 AM »

Just tried to take a station off of the Independent Traders. I ran out of ammo on all my weaponry, but did manage to survive up until then, only sending in my lone Duke and not making any efforts to avoid incoming fire. Did take damage, though! Also burned out a few times, so that works as well. Automatic healing is pretty neat, if a bit crazy with hulls this strong. :P

Love the station takeover system, by the way! So much more straight-forward than what I've seen of other mods so far, and it does seem like a fun battle if you have an actual fleet worth its salt. Can't wait to get to that point, though I may wait out an update on the defense front first.

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: February 07, 2014, 11:22:40 AM »

Should have this set of nerfs done pretty soon.  I *think* Armor Regeneration has been nerfed enough now; it's a flat bonus now, instead of a percentage, so it doesn't get so crazy with certain Hull Mod combos and character buffs.

Going to do the same thing with Automated Repair, although there it's a little less OP until Hull values / damage taken gets really insane with character bonuses (since all that stacks).
Xeno's Mod Pack

Nanao-kun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: February 07, 2014, 01:36:21 PM »

Should have this set of nerfs done pretty soon.  I *think* Armor Regeneration has been nerfed enough now; it's a flat bonus now, instead of a percentage, so it doesn't get so crazy with certain Hull Mod combos and character buffs.

Going to do the same thing with Automated Repair, although there it's a little less OP until Hull values / damage taken gets really insane with character bonuses (since all that stacks).
I have a picture in my post that shows the default Archer variant, which has Heavy Armor, Neutronium Plating, and Armor Regeneration. It's in the spoiler.

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: February 07, 2014, 01:54:05 PM »

Alpha 10 is now available.  Should not require a restart.

Nerfs both Armor Regeneration and Automated Repair Unit.

Buffs Biomechanical Hull to compensate for Exigency somewhat.

Adds Flux Shunt.

Small fix for a shot graphic, a few other little things.

[EDIT]Oops, forgot, I tried out a suggested speedup for the auto-aim AI from LazyWizard, and that is in.  It's not a huge speedup but every little bit counts :) [/EDIT]

Anyhow, please let me know if the nerfs went too far (or in the case of Exigency, not quite far enough).
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 02:47:04 PM by xenoargh »
Xeno's Mod Pack

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Vacuum - Build a Stellar Empire. (0.62a ALPHA build 10) (TC Mod)
« Reply #441 on: February 07, 2014, 03:06:33 PM »

Ah, holy WTF. Have you amped up ship explosions? The explosions are way bigger, and in my first battle took out my ship, and the other thing was it was just a fighter exploding! This is my death frog that was being shot at without taking hull damage suddenly being wiped out in one hit by the critical explosion of a fighter.

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: February 07, 2014, 03:11:06 PM »

Nope, haven't touched them. 

Will definitely play-test with the Death Frog and see if I can replicate that :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: February 07, 2014, 03:17:09 PM »

Seems fine here.  I don't suppose that:

1.  You were fighting TriTach, and the fighter nuked you just as you shot it down?
2.  You were fighting the Pirate Kings, and they captured your ship?
Xeno's Mod Pack

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: February 07, 2014, 03:19:44 PM »

It was in a mining/ambush encounter. The enemy were defeated and were retreating, I caught an escaping fighter, fired a few rounds and he went critical - taking my Death-Frog with him.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 03:44:34 PM by Debido »

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: February 07, 2014, 03:24:39 PM »

What faction were you fighting, though?
Xeno's Mod Pack

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: February 07, 2014, 03:31:30 PM »

Took a look.  Was your Death Frog severely wounded?  A Fighter's explosion does 1000 damage; not exactly huge, but I could see that finishing off a Frigate under very rare circumstances (like, it would have to be almost on top of your ship's center). 

As it is... I really should fix that code, if anything it's not happening often enough, at least with bigger explosions.
Xeno's Mod Pack

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: February 07, 2014, 03:44:06 PM »

My Death Frog had full health, and my armour was near perfect. I think the fighter was a Kanjar.

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: February 07, 2014, 03:50:24 PM »

Another note, it seems now in successive battles there are far less critical explosions. In said battle where I was destroyed there was far more critical explosions than I normally see, hard to quantify, but I did think it was unusual at the time.

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: February 07, 2014, 03:52:27 PM »

That's really weird.  That really sounds like a nuke snuck up on you or a nuke's AOE got you and stuff around it (nukes have big AOEs).  

I really should just eliminate Daggers from those fleets, anyhow; those are supposed to be newbie-friendly encounters, not "OMG I'm dead" encounters. Will fix, same with the Pirates and their !@#!@! Boarding Shuttles, lol.

Anyhow, the critical explosion code has now been changed and I'll test it a bit.

Explosion radius is now 2X collision size of the ship (down from 3), measured from the collision radii of the two ships involved (IOW, if the exploding ship's radius is 100 and your ship's collision radius edge is 299 units away, you're hit, if you're 301 units away, you're fine).  Generally speaking, that means that only the very largest ships will cause a lot of hits to things around them (a typical Destroyer has a radius of about 100, and 300 range is practically point-blank).

This should both greatly improve hits for the big guys going critical (which was definitely intended) and it's a nerf for fighter explosions (unless they detonate right overhead, in which case they'll generate a hit for sure now, like they should).
Xeno's Mod Pack
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 75