Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 75

Author Topic: Vacuum - Build a Stellar Empire. (0.62a ALPHA build 34) (TC Mod)  (Read 418471 times)

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
Re: Vacuum / Exerelin Alpha 1 (Total Conversion)
« Reply #135 on: August 25, 2013, 06:28:18 PM »

@RavenDarke:

I agree entirely :)  

I've actually re-detailed most of the Vanilla fighters, some of the weapons, etc., etc.  

I'm nowhere near done yet- been pretty busy with the rest of the new content.  

Or, as new art becomes available, I may just drop the Vanilla Factions entirely, so that I don't feel like I'm stomping on the team's toes (I keep having to resist the urge to make Cult of Lud ships, doing further major edits to certain ships, etc., etc.) :)

I worry that perhaps somehow the Exigency biohull is (invisibly) being applied to all vessels...
Any ship with Automated Repair System will self-repair Hull over time.  The Exigency Biohull and the character buff that allows for self-repair all stack with that.  So a character with those skills in an Exigency ship is quite hard to kill.

Also I suck at this mod - the fact that none of the ships you can buy come with any hull mods wheras ALL of the enemy ships have just about everything they could possibly benefit from doesn't help... I'm assuming that -is- somehow intentional though?
Don't worry; after you've gotten to level 20+ (i.e., you can max out Tech or Combat) you'll be fine.  Getting to level 20 takes hardly any time at all in this mod, so don't fret about having to "re-roll" your character too much.

One minor bug: Wasp fighter wings have the Stabilized Shields hullmod... but, they don't have shields.
Oops!  Will fix that.  Please let me know if you see any other minor (or major) goofs like that, or things in the balance that don't work.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 06:47:31 PM by xenoargh »
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Darloth

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 25, 2013, 06:53:06 PM »

Also, the punkjunkers are really strong. All their ships seem to have near absurd amount of armor and health.
Yeah, but they have a serious weakness (hint: check out what Hull Mods they don't have).

It's not ion cannons. Just got utterly trashed by a punk junker cruiser + frigate combo, flying 3 tritach frigates and 3 fighter wings.

Any hints?  They seem to have heavy armour, nigh-immunity to EMP, and regenerating hitpoints, also good PD weapons, large damage output, and reasonable range (though I admit I didn't try a sniping sunderer or some other super-long range beam)

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 25, 2013, 07:11:05 PM »

Well, it depends on what level of ship you're using. 

I usually use some long-distance Kinetics to pound shields down, then close with Ion Cannons and finish them off.  They're quite vulnerable to EMP if you can get their shields down.

Xeno's Mod Pack

Darloth

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 26, 2013, 03:42:45 AM »

Are you sure about that? :)

In my game at least, they have both of the typical anti-EMP hull mods that will presumably be reducing EMP damage to 2.5% of the original value... I then spent a battle shooting them in the shieldhole with EMP using a teleporting phase frigate, and, uh... as expected, it didn't do all that much - sure, occasionally I got lucky and managed to hurt them for a while, but their stuff always came back online quickly (auto repair unit) and they just repaired the hull damage (auto repair unit :) )

http://puu.sh/4behP.jpg

Have I installed it wrong somehow, or is this really "quite vulnerable to emp"?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 03:49:00 AM by Darloth »

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 26, 2013, 07:03:45 AM »

Should be but maybe I screwed that up ::)

I'll take a look and fix that and the Tri-Tach ship and put up a new build this morning :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 26, 2013, 07:09:10 AM »

OK, took a look.  None of the Punk Junkers has Hardened Circuitry; one of them, the Duke, has Resistant Flux Conduits.  I'll fix that and the Wasp and correct the description of Automated Repair Unit.
Xeno's Mod Pack

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 26, 2013, 07:14:37 AM »

OK, new build up:

Fixes:

Wasps have shields, fitting their Hull Mod.
Punk Junker Duke has had Resistant Flux Conduits replaced with Armored Weapon Mounts to reduce EMP resistance.
Automated Repair Unit description has been updated to include reference to self-repair ability.

Also... I take it that the issue here is that it's too hard to take on Punk Junkers with Frigates vs. a Cruiser, and that part of the issue is that if we want to go "high tech" (i.e., ENERGY class weapons) that they're just not cutting it? 

I'll look at this and see what can be done :-)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 07:58:24 AM by xenoargh »
Xeno's Mod Pack

Darloth

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 26, 2013, 07:45:51 AM »

Perhaps my version was out of date then, since the Duke I fought had hardened circuitry.

Regardless, it's gone now (yay!)

It doesn't have armoured weapon mounts either, mind you - but the wasps do have their shields now, thanks!

I'll retry that battle and see how it goes this time.

Edit: A hard fight, and my PD frigate killed itself when it decided that when running away, still being hit, and low on hull, it should vent rather than overload (but that's a vanilla AI issue), but I finally won.  Killing that cruiser was a battle of massive attrition for two and a half frigates and a couple of fighter wings, but we managed it eventually after we wore its armour down!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 07:55:10 AM by Darloth »

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 26, 2013, 08:03:01 AM »

OK, so that gave you just enough of an edge? 

A fight like that (frigate group vs. a tough Cruiser) should be pretty hard to pull off, but it should be possible.

Generally, Frigates aren't going to cut it unless they're types that can handle large ships (for example, a Daisho with a couple of Crows can probably pull it off, same with a few of the other heavy-hitters in that category). 

However, it's all situational; for example, a Fusilier armed with Reapers can kill a lot of Cruisers outright, if timed well.  Just takes a bit of messing with the loadouts and looking at what the various Frigates can do.
Xeno's Mod Pack

Darloth

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 26, 2013, 08:42:19 AM »

Yep, I think it's about right now.

Something else I noticed (when I spawned with one) is that the default Shrike variant is all about the missiles, packed with extra missile racks and a top of the line ECCM suite.

Sadly, the Shrike can't actually carry any missiles.

I think an armour and maneuverability focus would probably fit better for it, as it has fixed forward built-in ballistics and a single modular turret.

Edit: Actually while I have your attention, can I ask the thoughts behind the flux-per-damage cost of the Atropos torpedo rack?

They're a great distraction, look pretty, are nice long range support, but they don't actually do a whole lot of damage and cost SO MUCH flux per second.  They may be just fine where they are, but I'd like to hear your thoughts on why they need to cost that much flux if you don't mind?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 08:48:11 AM by Darloth »

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 26, 2013, 09:09:10 AM »

Got the Shrike fixed; I'd forgotten to change the Hull Mods when I changed their primary focus  ::)

Atropos:  the big issue here is that it's a long-range annoyance missile that never ever ever runs out of ammo and can put out a heck of a lot of spam over time. 

As a missile, it sucks. 

As something that eats up PD ammo and pursues fighters and occasionally kills a Drone or three, it's fairly useful.

Its flux cost is high to make it less attractive in general; while it may (eventually) kill things, it won't ever kill them efficiently

However, if you get target lock and you're using a fast Frigate, you can kite things forever with it.  Even Onslaughts eventually run out of PD ammo, so it's kind of a neat weapon that way, but it's hard to balance just right.

I've thought about doubling the damage and halving the rate of fire, though; then it'd be a vaguely-effective weapon per shot, be more Flux-efficient, but not be so spammy.  Might make it into too-good of a kiting device, though.  Like I said- hard to balance something like this, where its primary use is to kite big things from outside ranges where they can effectively respond.

Anyhow, finally put in the Magister, which is a missile-boat Destroyer with a fixed-forward light gun and a couple of Small turret points for PD.
Xeno's Mod Pack

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 26, 2013, 07:38:25 PM »

Reworked Medusa:

Xeno's Mod Pack

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 26, 2013, 07:42:35 PM »

very nice! We need some more lights on the ships imo, just gives the ship so much life

well done (ok to download for own mod?)
mmm.... tartiflette

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 26, 2013, 08:04:48 PM »

Sure, go for it :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 26, 2013, 09:01:18 PM »

Reworked Aurora:

Xeno's Mod Pack
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 75