Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 75

Author Topic: Vacuum - Build a Stellar Empire. (0.62a ALPHA build 34) (TC Mod)  (Read 420817 times)

Wunder

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Vacuum / Exerelin Alpha 2 (Total Conversion)
« Reply #210 on: October 27, 2013, 03:40:34 PM »

I may be able to get a working release out again this weekend, I may have a few hours to spare from  RL then :)

IDK whether I'll keep the Exerelin components or not; it turned out that a straight port was somewhat difficult, as Exerelin's gameplay has changed a bit, and I have had a few new ideas I want to try out :)
May of not noticed
But he is dead
(Look under name Banned)

Doogie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 27, 2013, 03:44:17 PM »

I know for a fact that his reply came before the ban. Please think twice before posting something like this.

Wunder

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 27, 2013, 04:09:38 PM »

Hmph..
There is a option to remove or edit your comment.

Doogie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 27, 2013, 05:17:50 PM »

<sigh> yea you don't get it.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 28, 2013, 07:41:52 AM »

OK, enough about who's been banned and all that.

Sadly, this weekend I ended up a bit more busy with various RL things than I really wanted to be.  That said, I sat down with all of it long enough to formulate a game plan.  I have a very, very crude re-release working but it's not exactly an awesome gameplay experience yet, so it's going to be a little bit longer before I feel like it should be seen walking around in public :)
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

kupan9

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 05, 2013, 01:57:13 PM »

This was a fun mod, I look forward to seeing what you do with it for the new version. Good luck!

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 06, 2013, 10:53:50 AM »

Well, I got it largely working again last night.

However, I'm still a long way from a polished release atm, largely because I'd like to do some fairly radical things with Dialogs and give players methods to interact with the game in new ways :)  That, and there are still engine-side bugs with creating new Ships / Wings that broke a lot of the major features I was working on before.
Xeno's Mod Pack

drakhades

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 06, 2013, 04:10:17 PM »

vacuum was a really unique experience.  it'd be great to see it working again!

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 09, 2013, 11:56:12 AM »

Well, I'm surprised and pleased that there's this much interest, so here, I'll demonstrate that I've been getting a few things done :)

You can test the really, really really Alpha version of the next version of Vacuum here.  

Features the first (crude) new strategic AI / fleet-generation system (not nearly done yet!) randomized Systems and mineable Asteroids.  I doubt if it'll be fun to play, mind; right now population density is probably far too low for most players' tastes and a lot of the major features aren't done yet :)

It's using a slightly-improved variation of Exerelin's System generation code but it's largely a different animal in terms of design; I want to explore some new ideas about how to do a few things now that the engine supports custom UI stuff through Alex's brilliant work on developing a generic UI framework.  I've set myself the goal of writing Janino-friendly code for all of the DialogInteractions so that I can do a bunch of customization to support some new gameplay, amongst other things.  Right now I'm just working on early framework, though, so it's still really crude :)

Here's a screenie of one of the new Systems, randomly generated by the new code / content (all WIP atm, ofc):
Spoiler
[close]
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 12:11:03 PM by xenoargh »
Xeno's Mod Pack

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Vacuum / Exerelin (new 0.61a ALPHA build, pg 15) (Total Conversion)
« Reply #219 on: November 11, 2013, 02:17:12 PM »

Just a little progress report. 

Got the first part of the next stage done; I've built a simple AI control routine for in-System patrols, so there is now plenty of traffic flying around again.

I need to re-write the routine for merchant fleets from scratch, write a routine for various types of miners, and lastly write some military fleet AI (i.e., let the AI start building / destroying / capturing Stations and all that jazz), but the basic principles have been tested and it really looks like this approach is going to work well and perform well.  I'm excited about this approach to self-directing behaviors, as it's going to make construction of the strategic gameplay considerably easier and potentially a lot more interesting :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 28, 2013, 01:59:23 AM »

Got a bunch of stuff done the last two days.

1.  Completed the behavioral system I've been working on.  AI Fleets can interact with everything much like players can; they can build, destroy and capture Stations and do other things.

2.  Figured out how to a few fancy things with Dialogs to spice up gameplay.  Still haven't built a couple of the features yet, but there are ambushes, hidden treasures, etc.

Anyhow, I'm hoping to get a another release out at some point over the next week or two :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

NITROtbomb

• Commander
  • I like Mah glass cannon ships :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 28, 2013, 02:50:20 AM »

Xeno you really are a genius  :D
Dancing and playing games, how does that work.. well YOU tell me!

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 29, 2013, 09:58:43 AM »

Glad to hear some excitement for this, I've been pretty reluctant to talk about it until it's playable but it's getting there, slowly :)

I think (think!) I understand the Dialog system well enough to do the last hard bits:  writing up Player-built Stations, new Station behaviors (basically, addressing some things I think could be improved, like the lack of any diplomacy, being able to trade with factions that are at war with you, a capture-this-station mega-battle scenario, etc.) and lastly, dealing with the core of Fleet battles, which I'd like to take a very different direction than how it works in Vanilla, largely to try out some ideas I've had about how to address the game.  Pretty excited, I think I finally have enough know-how to get this done :)

Oh, and for players of the previous Exerelin port, bear in mind that yes, Crew pay will be back, but I'll be making changes to how Supplies are used and how CR works in general.  Long story short, the bigger the ship, the larger the CR hit per use and the longer / more expensive it is to repair, but I intend to get rid of the Harry mechanics entirely so that you can't just whittle down an opposing fleet with nothing but Frigates and Capture mechanics will get overhauled entirely so that they aren't so clunky and RNG-driven.
Xeno's Mod Pack

Draginea

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 29, 2013, 06:50:58 PM »

This is my favorite mod so far, I cant wait until it's done.

drakhades

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 30, 2013, 04:43:32 PM »

tried this on 2 computers, keep getting the same error when starting up starsector:

Spoiler
52149 [Thread-6] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.String  - java.lang.RuntimeException: Error compiling [data.scripts.plugins.BattleCreationPluginImpl]
java.lang.RuntimeException: Error compiling [data.scripts.plugins.BattleCreationPluginImpl]
   at com.fs.starfarer.loading.scripts.ScriptStore$1.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: Compiling unit "data/scripts/plugins/BattleCreationPluginImpl.java"
   at org.codehaus.janino.JavaSourceClassLoader.generateBytecodes(JavaSourceClassLoader.java:212)
   at org.codehaus.janino.JavaSourceClassLoader.findClass(JavaSourceClassLoader.java:164)
   at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:307)
   at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:248)
   ... 2 more
Caused by: org.codehaus.commons.compiler.CompileException: File data/scripts/plugins/BattleCreationPluginImpl.java, Line 18, Column 13: Non-abstract class "data.scripts.plugins.BattleCreationPluginImpl" must implement method "public abstract void com.fs.starfarer.api.campaign.BattleCreationPlugin.initBattle(com.fs.starfarer.api.combat.BattleCreationContext, com.fs.starfarer.api.mission.MissionDefinitionAPI)"
   at org.codehaus.janino.UnitCompiler.compileError(UnitCompiler.java:9403)
   at org.codehaus.janino.UnitCompiler.compile2(UnitCompiler.java:447)
   at org.codehaus.janino.UnitCompiler.compile2(UnitCompiler.java:421)
   at org.codehaus.janino.UnitCompiler$3.visitPackageMemberClassDeclaration(UnitCompiler.java:376)
   at org.codehaus.janino.Java$PackageMemberClassDeclaration.accept(Java.java:765)
   at org.codehaus.janino.UnitCompiler.compile(UnitCompiler.java:383)
   at org.codehaus.janino.UnitCompiler.compileUnit(UnitCompiler.java:352)
   at org.codehaus.janino.JavaSourceClassLoader.generateBytecodes(JavaSourceClassLoader.java:210)
   ... 5 more

[close]
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 75