Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 75

Author Topic: Vacuum - Build a Stellar Empire. (0.62a ALPHA build 34) (TC Mod)  (Read 418432 times)

Cerevox

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Vacuum / Exerelin Alpha 1 (Total Conversion)
« Reply #105 on: August 16, 2013, 07:48:08 PM »

On the storm needler, it is not the ammo count, it is that in big fights, it sits there and shoots at missiles instead of other ships. It is useless if the opponent has a rocket launcher of any kind because it spends all its time shooting at rockets. It simply isn't doing any damage and its not even that good at PD duties.

On missiles, really any change would be good at this point. The rocket launchers are good, but everything else just doesn't feel useful, and the rockets are only useful because of the crazy level of spam they are able to put out.

Edit: Im a moron, yes, the rest are behind the next button.

Edit2: Been messing around with the exi. Your starting cruiser is absurdly tough, nothing can kill that beast. However, other cruisers you buy don't seem to get the bio hull, so every other cruiser/cap ship you buy as exi is terrible.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 09:14:29 PM by Cerevox »

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 18, 2013, 12:13:57 AM »

New build up.  Probably requires a restart to operate totally correctly.

Fixes:

1.  Wages and various other under-the-hood issues.
2.  Biomechanical Hull is now available for Exigency ships when the Hull Mod is unlocked, like it should be.

Changes:

1.  Especially big or slow-shooting weapons (Hellbore, Gauss, Heavy Plasma Cannon, Plasma Cannon, Mark9, probably going to add/tweak this list later on) now destroy all missiles on contact. No more watching your Mark9s be utterly worthless because of rocket spam.  However, due to changes that had to be made to make this happen, it means that the Plasma / Heavy Plasma Cannons no longer get AOE on a trigger, making them even less useful against small, fast-moving targets.

2.  The Storm Needler is no longer designated PD, making it a bit more useful as a primary arm, but taking away its massive-spam effects.

Haven't touched the missiles yet, but I'm starting to finally have something like a plan of action form in my head.  What I think I'll do is something like:

1.  Harpoon just needs more hitpoints so that PD can't kill it quite so casually.  It already does excellent damage if it gets through.
2.  Pilum will get a special script that will make it explode into lots of deadly fragments if it senses nearby ships, to make it better at its primary job, which is long-range fighter kill.  In general, I'm hoping to make it work better vs. fighters without making it a go-to weapon otherwise.  We'll see how that goes.
3.  Really not sure what to do about the Salamander yet. 
4.  I'm thinking that the Sabot, instead of becoming inherently more powerful, should actually be nerfed a little, but use a script that launches a single shield-piercing attack.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

joey4track

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 18, 2013, 12:17:06 PM »

Any reason you are not using version numbers?? It makes things very confusing without it o.O

Cerevox

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 18, 2013, 12:45:56 PM »

There are version numbers, they just aren't on the file name. Open up the package and read the modinfo file.

joey4track

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 18, 2013, 01:21:09 PM »

There are version numbers, they just aren't on the file name. Open up the package and read the modinfo file.

Well, that's cryptic as hell. Why not just put the version number in the name of the zip the like the rest of the world? Now I have multiple copies of the same named file even though they are totally different archives and there is no way to tell which is which without opening them up and opening a random file that isn't even in txt format.. pretty *** if you ask me.

Cerevox

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 18, 2013, 02:07:09 PM »

Its not a big deal. Just download the new one and replace the old one, delete the old file and unzip. Takes like 15 seconds, and since updates are fast just do it every couple of days. Version number really doesn't matter all that much when you just want the latest version and its changing all the time.

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 18, 2013, 04:19:43 PM »

The most current revision is always at the same address to keep it simple for people who're updating when there's a new build.  When I have time to be active on projects like these, if the file size isn't too giant, I like to work and release new versions rapidly as I add new features.  Sorry for any confusion that may cause, it's still alpha :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 19, 2013, 03:11:23 PM »

Got the fighter for the fighter-launcher idea built.

And here's the launcher, with a fighter loaded:

« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 03:37:46 PM by xenoargh »
Xeno's Mod Pack

Doogie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 19, 2013, 03:25:07 PM »

So, is it too much to ask for Blackrock Drive Yards to be put as a faction here? :P

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 19, 2013, 03:39:44 PM »

That's not up to me.  I'd be happy to add them, I like the designs and the whacky weapons would probably be a good fit for the mod.

But I didn't make Blackrock, and Cycerin has never contacted me about being included in the mod, so it might be better to bring that up with Cycerin :) 
Xeno's Mod Pack

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 19, 2013, 07:13:44 PM »

Got the fighter launcher working.  

It's really cool- convert a Large Missile slot into a one-shot fighter launcher!  For ships like the Gemini, it's super-useful.

Now I just need to decide which ships get one, hehe... well, that, and write up the various things I wanted to do with missiles :)

Here's one mounted on a Gemini:

« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 07:16:56 PM by xenoargh »
Xeno's Mod Pack

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 19, 2013, 09:07:10 PM »

Are they drones?

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 19, 2013, 09:50:12 PM »

No, they're fighters but they use a missile launcher slot to deploy.  You mount them just like any other missile launcher, they launch and then they behave just like any other fighter.

In this case, they use a Large Missile slot, so there aren't that many things in the game that can mount them.  But I also set up a few ships with them as Built-Ins (the Launcher, the Phaeton, the Condor), because the concept's really cool and it gave them a buff that is indirect and interesting.

Pretty happy with these, I think I need to make more types than just the one. 

Want to get the missile changes done first though.
Xeno's Mod Pack

Thule

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 20, 2013, 03:22:22 AM »

Really cool idea.

modotron-3000

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 20, 2013, 03:54:06 AM »

is there someway to take over abandoned outposts ?  ???
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 75