Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 75

Author Topic: Vacuum - Build a Stellar Empire. (0.62a ALPHA build 34) (TC Mod)  (Read 418430 times)

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
Re: Vacuum - Build a Stellar Empire. (0.62a ALPHA build 34) (TC Mod)
« Reply #1020 on: June 29, 2014, 02:58:22 PM »

Okie doke. 

I'll take a look at that; it really should have ended, eventually, but something must be preventing it from finishing :)
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: June 29, 2014, 03:20:50 PM »

All right, that should be fixed.  For now, you can avoid the bug by deploying everybody and hitting Retreat All immediately (I presume what happened was that you deployed just one ship and then retreated; that would cause a problem, unfortunately).
Xeno's Mod Pack

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: June 29, 2014, 04:58:33 PM »

Minor cosmetic bug
On in-combat boarding, after battle report doesn't state that you captured any ships in the engagement.

Mechanics issue
Boarding seems a bit too instant in combat. I've seen as ship explode in a white flash and suddenly be back at full health like nothing happened, belonging to eather player. I think it ought to take some time to overrun a ship and bring it back into working order. ~5 seconds per tier to get it up and running. If you are able to calculate marine count on the ship (which is probable based on crew bonuses) then require a simple marine comparison (kill 10% of your marine count in enemy marines per second, rounded up, 10 crew counts as a marine) until only one side has marines in place.

This might be too involved, but it seems that boarding is way too fast.

Adding/modding logistic skills for marine stuff would be useful.

~
Payday. I suggest you get income from stations before paying the crew, not after.

~
My god I am a moron.
I played once, got that retreat bug (when I then posted that report) and realized I hadn't saved recently (or at all that session). I had gotten to the point where I had a Valkyrian with a megabeam, which I find quite useful due to it's damage output. Lost that and went back to where I had finished yesterday, just having made my first station.

Played again. Managed to take down a massive fleet. Looted a high level ship. One of the asymetrical Tritachion ones, with two large turrets on one side, one on the other, and tons of lesser turrets around. Had two megabeams, tons of point defence beams, and high energy focus. Then a few battles later I issued a retreat (hadn't deployed everything since a few ships were critically damage) and the bug occured. Realized I hadn't saved, again. So I no longer have that awesome ship.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 06:20:17 PM by Ranakastrasz »
I think is easy for Simba and Mufasa sing the Circle of Life when they're on the top of the food chain, I bet the zebras hate that song.

Cigarettes are a lot like hamsters. Perfectly harmless, until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: June 29, 2014, 06:48:55 PM »

On in-combat boarding, after battle report doesn't state that you captured any ships in the engagement.
I'll see if I can add that.  Should be possible :)

Boarding seems a bit too instant in combat.
That's fixable, but a bit difficult, for a variety of reasons. 

Here, the difference between Boarding Shuttles and the Boarding Teleporter is the speed at which it happens.  Boarding Shuttles rarely board stuff the first try.

A good interim fix might be to simply make the Boarding Teleporters have a long warm-up time... but then the AI isn't likely to use them well. 

Perhaps a better fix would be to put the "boarding in progress" ships into some sort of managed list giving them a countdown to finally being taken over (if they didn't explode first). 

That would be relatively un-messy and I'll look at that issue after I'm done with the Boss stuff.

Payday. I suggest you get income from stations before paying the crew, not after.
Why?  I mean, unless you're doing it wrong, you shouldn't have any trouble making enough money to pay early-game crews, and your money never goes negative, so if you're broke, it's bad playing that's at fault, not that I'm being an overly-cruel game developer ;)

Played again. Managed to take down a massive fleet. Looted a high level ship. One of the asymetrical Tritachion ones, with two large turrets on one side, one on the other, and tons of lesser turrets around. Had two megabeams, tons of point defence beams, and high energy focus. Then a few battles later I issued a retreat (hadn't deployed everything since a few ships were critically damage) and the bug occured. Realized I hadn't saved, again. So I no longer have that awesome ship.
Sorry about that bug; a new build fixing it probably will be out this week.  Until then, if you're going to Retreat, deploy everything you've got beforehand.  Anyhow, it's fixed now, but I'm in the middle of some larger stuff that's going to take a few days to complete, unfortunately, so I can't just offer a patch :)

Xeno's Mod Pack

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: June 29, 2014, 07:55:42 PM »

~
Good to Know
~
For the boarding suggestion, your reply suggests a miscommunication.

The boarding teleport or boarding shuttle attack is implied to apply a buff and some kind of event on the target ship. There is no requirement for the boarding ships to stay there, as the ship is, effectively, already boarded. Additional attacks would make it more boarded, but it would be considered an invalid target after a set number of marines would be added.
~
Well, I am still having huge economic problems. Managed to get a station up, which apparently got destroyed then moved. Built a second, which was promptly destroyed. I am now going to avoid building another station until I have at least a capital class ship, or a fleet reliably able to take on a paragon or other capital ship.
I think is easy for Simba and Mufasa sing the Circle of Life when they're on the top of the food chain, I bet the zebras hate that song.

Cigarettes are a lot like hamsters. Perfectly harmless, until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: June 29, 2014, 08:59:22 PM »

OK, what I'm trying out is this.  If you board a ship with Boarding Teleporters and you have enough Marines, you automatically get to board the ship; the question is time.  No more insta-boarding.

The timer function appears to be working now.

With Boarding Shuttles, they'll still have a failure chance, but will not be killed; if they succeed, the timer starts.

If captured ships are destroyed before the timer expires, then you don't get the capture.

Larger ships will take significantly more time to capture than smaller ones.

Anyhow, it looks like it'll work OK, but I need to test it a lot before I'm sure it's good, and it's not going to be available until the Boss code's done, which will be a few days at least :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: June 29, 2014, 10:43:50 PM »

The only question is whether it ends up infinitely stacking and wasting marines, and if both teams try to board, that they both slow each other down and the one with more/better marines win.

Hoping for a hotfix for the frozen game bug, since it is practically gamebreaking.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 10:46:44 PM by Ranakastrasz »

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: June 29, 2014, 10:56:39 PM »

The frozen game bug is preventable, but you have to do something weird.  If you want to initiate a full retreat, you need to deploy all of your fleet's members, then retreat. 

That's about the only workaround until I can push out another build.  It's fixed, but the mod's not in a release-able state atm, due to work on the Boss feature, which is coming along nicely but is at least a day or three away from being done atm. 

Well, that, and not retreating, ever, heh.
Xeno's Mod Pack

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: June 30, 2014, 09:50:02 AM »

My spearhead class refuses to fire it's main weapon when AI controlled. It spazzes back and fourth a bunch when it has a target, but never fires, even though the target is massive and will certainly hit.
Also, if I have it on autofire, with that group deselected, it also fails to fire. Something screwy is going on with the targeting logic.
~~~~~
The hostile Picho Class has armor regeneration in it's build innately, which seems like a bug with what you said before.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 10:12:57 AM by Ranakastrasz »

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: June 30, 2014, 10:04:44 AM »

Just tested a Spearhead; works fine over here.  So either I fixed the bug (not likely) or there's something else causing the screwy behaviors.  Perhaps you haven't bought crew for it yet, or haven't repaired the CR yet, so the HPC's getting knocked out by malfunctions?

It won't shoot very often if it runs out of Flux in the middle of a fight, too. 

Which happens pretty easily if you don't mount Flux Distributors and max out Vents; anything over 60% Flux will shut down the HPC. 

Suggest that you give it Armor Regeneration, Core Removal, Heavy Armor and Armored Mounts, max out Vents, and try it out in sim when you're sure it's in good repair; should work correctly :)

In other news, fixed Core Removal (can't take it if you're a Phase Cloak ship) and one of the big Boss projects is now done.
Xeno's Mod Pack

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: June 30, 2014, 10:13:38 AM »

It lets me fire it fine, but the AI refuses to.
it wasn't at full CR, but near max, like 80-90%, but I will test it in the simulation.

Set CR to 100% in the simulation. It would fire a few times, and then get stuck at 50% flux, refusing to fire any more. It could fire manually still, but refused at that point. After venting it still refused to fire until I fired once manually, where it would then be willing to fire again, until the target died.

No idea what is going on there.

Did another simulation and had no trouble at all, it would fire constantly till just under an overload, as any other weapon would.

"The Annilator class Battleship battleship"
Well, better than the original Glaug name, I guess.

Also, The morter gun claims it uses less flux than most weapons. Which is true, as ammo-based weapons in this mod use no flux. It should be updated to reflect that.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 12:13:25 PM by Ranakastrasz »

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: June 30, 2014, 11:48:18 AM »

It would fire a few times, and then get stuck at 50% flux, refusing to fire any more. It could fire manually still, but refused at that point. After venting it still refused to fire until I fired once manually, where it would then be willing to fire again, until the target died.

No idea what is going on there.

Did another simulation and had no trouble at all, it would fire constantly till just under an overload, as any other weapon would.
That's working correctly, actually.  What's happening is that there's a timer lockout that engages if the ship's Flux is high enough; eventually it will "cool down" and be able to fire again, but with something that uses as much Flux as a HPC, it's going to be a while.  Probably it's a very long lockout timer on a HPC, due to the huge amount of Flux it costs per shot; I'll look at the timer function and put a max cap on it so that it's not unreasonable.

This helps AI ships manage their Flux a lot more efficiently; if you want to fire it constantly, to the point of Overload levels, you need to operate it manually.
Xeno's Mod Pack

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: June 30, 2014, 12:14:28 PM »

Alright, so it will avoid pushing it's flux to the breaking point, and hence it was the strain it's shield was under that caused it to stop firing. Makes sense and is reasonable, and explains the behavior. Since removing the shield, It is no longer an issue, and seems to be firing at all possible times.

Swift Fighters should be classifed as Drones for ending battles, due to speed and irritating in mopping up.

Actualyl if you can make all fighers treated like that, it would be appreciated.

Gonna get one of those sniper-class frigates with long range weapons and high energy focus in hopes that it will clean them up easier.

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: June 30, 2014, 07:09:11 PM »

I'll do it for Swifts, but not for Fighters; otherwise the low-level battles will constantly end without decisive results and the enemy fleets won't be "defeated" unless I force-kill the fighter Wings, which I'd rather not :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: June 30, 2014, 07:59:35 PM »

Hmm. I always felt that fighters should always require carriers to function, and shouldn't be allowed to function without them.

Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 75