Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10

Author Topic: FTL  (Read 47070 times)

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: FTL
« Reply #75 on: September 17, 2012, 07:16:03 AM »

Yea I got Notch aswell, he was a good gunner :). Then he died in a fire.

Rowanas

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 17, 2012, 08:13:53 AM »

I've given in and been playing it pretty solidly.

I'm always getting murdered by a single super-powerful ship out-of-the-blue. I'll be doing jsut fine, and then a ship will appear that just has bigger shields than I can handle, or too many missiles or a bazillion drones.

I've really been getting into the B Kestrel. It starts with a zolton power boost, a couple of boring humans to do the muscle work, and a GODDAMN MANTIS. I always put the mantis on the guns, because it's the only place he's not needed when i'm trying to board (since I never fire at ships I'm trying to take peacefully). That mantis is the entire of my offensive capability, whether ranged or boarding. God bless him.

harrumph

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 17, 2012, 09:41:10 AM »

I just had a game end in epically heartbreaking fashion. Picture it: I'm on the final stage of the boss. His shields are down, suppressed by ion cannon fire. His entire crew is dead; the AI has taken over. My drones are raking his hull with beams, and he's about five seconds away from dying, give or take. Then he fires his super weapon while my cloak is still down. Every single shot hits me. Game over.

Cold comfort: I got the "Astronomically Low Odds" achievement. And it was my highest-scoring game.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 17, 2012, 11:30:40 AM »

I hate that achievement...   X[  You'd think it'd help assuage the pain a little, but no. It just pours salt all over that wound, haha.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 17, 2012, 01:48:33 PM »

Scratch up another glorious victory :D
cloak + burst laser 1+2+3 + 2x anti-ship drones = roflstomp anything.

Another new high score too! 5137.

I wasn't far off maxing every upgrade; only missing 3 engine, 2 drone, 1 medi, and 1 pilot upgrade.
Call me slow, but it hadn't dawned on me that buying additional upgrades gives you quite useful damage redundancy.
So even if you're never going to directly utilize an upgrade (e.g. O2 upgrades), don't discount their usefulness!

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 17, 2012, 02:23:32 PM »

Nice! I had a kestrel with a burst III and two burst II's. didn't even need the drones to rofl stomp.  :)
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 17, 2012, 02:26:53 PM »

Man I love the Stealth Cruiser, that thing owns. Also; new video on the Stealth Cruiser.

sirboomalot

• Admiral
  • Boom
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 17, 2012, 05:10:14 PM »

I recently won the game for my second time, despite a bit of bad luck at the start (a single missile killed 2 of my crew while they were healing in my medbay)

I ended up winning with the engi cruiser, manned by only 2 engi, with 2 iron blast II weapons, a pike beam, an anti-ship drone, and a defence II drone. No cloak, 4 shields, only a couple bars of energy available for the engines, and fully upgraded doors (which made one of the engis beat out a mantis for the most kills) I was able to ion spam the boss so hard that it didn't even drop me below 50% health despite my lack of defences. I also unlocked the rock-cruiser during this run.

~Edit~
I had planned to open up FTL and take a picture of my stats screen to show the engi with most kills (along with the mantis with most piloted evasions), but the print screen button seems to take nothing but a picture of the loading screen long after I have finished loading.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 05:14:12 PM by sirboomalot »

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 17, 2012, 05:23:04 PM »

I had planned to open up FTL and take a picture of my stats screen to show the engi with most kills (along with the mantis with most piloted evasions), but the print screen button seems to take nothing but a picture of the loading screen long after I have finished loading.

I use fraps, though F12 will work if you are running it from Steam.

Just tried the stealth ship......crew died of asphyxiation locked in the cockpit after having had to vent the rest of the ship due to massive fires.
Unfortunately the fires destroyed door control before vacuum had a chance to extinguish them.

If anyone comes across a melted ball of metal close to the corona of a star..... that'll be the remains of my stealth cruiser.

Lesson: Don't underestimate the stealth ship's shortage of airlocks.

Rowanas

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 17, 2012, 05:29:26 PM »

Aw, man. I was doing so well...

Got a suped up engi cruiser, equipped with a glaive and ion beam (with a mk2 burst for when the glaive went down). I would start a combat, fire a boarding drone to attract the crew members and then brute force through the shields with th glaive, wiping out any crew left alive. Unfortunately, I ran out of boarding drones, and it turns out that the ion mk2 sucks late game.

Archduke Astro

• Captain
  • 99 AU from anywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 17, 2012, 06:29:03 PM »

I think that FTL is doing great at its actual (not its stated) function: to act an an infinite time-sink which threatens to engulf us all.

Oh, and those Slugs can be treacherous lying devils. Can't wait until I unlock the Mk1 Salt Shaker Autocannon (j/k), because afterwards they're gonna be the first folks I pay a visit to. :P
We thought our last moment had come
when we got a message up the voice pipe
saying that 'A' Turret magazine was on fire.....

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 17, 2012, 08:00:06 PM »

I can't wait to have this type of thread about the starfarer campaign.  :D  I think it will spawn similar tales on much different and just as fun scale.  :D
- Voltaire

Rowanas

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 18, 2012, 04:01:43 AM »

I can't wait to have this type of thread about the starfarer campaign.  :D  I think it will spawn similar tales on much different and just as fun scale.  :D

Hear hear! The faster playthrough time on FTL makes it a little easier to share tales though, because everyone's experiencing things over half an hour, rather than over 5/7/12 hours.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 18, 2012, 04:43:08 AM »

Hear hear! The faster playthrough time on FTL makes it a little easier to share tales though, because everyone's experiencing things over half an hour, rather than over 5/7/12 hours.

Half an hour?!
Each completed game takes me atleast 2 hours!

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 18, 2012, 11:03:17 AM »

Yeah but each half hour portion is full of antics.  :)
- Voltaire
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10