Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 478 479 [480] 481 482

Author Topic: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]  (Read 2210995 times)

Arkiuz

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]
« Reply #7185 on: July 13, 2019, 12:41:57 PM »

I'm surprised nobody has made an attempt at the Dendrobium from Stardust.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7186 on: July 13, 2019, 01:48:28 PM »

Well, if we're talking about this, it'd be a pretty boring silhouette for a top-view, unless you built it out as a 3D model and posed it carefully, I'd think. 

Honestly, Gundams in general would be hard to pull off, I'd think. 

I've been contemplating doing Zentraedi and Macross designs and a few other things like that, where the top-down view is actually interesting, though.  I had fun with the one time I did something like that:

*reference
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 01:51:47 PM by xenoargh »
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Arkiuz

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7187 on: July 13, 2019, 11:27:48 PM »

Well, if we're talking about this, it'd be a pretty boring silhouette for a top-view, unless you built it out as a 3D model and posed it carefully, I'd think. 

Honestly, Gundams in general would be hard to pull off, I'd think.

I think it'd be an alright silhouette but ultimately it'd be the equipment that came with it that would be spectacular.  108 micro-missile, 3 giant anti-ship rockets, the bomb wire?  That'd be pretty good.

We have Wanzers and I feel like those are well done.  Someone did Iron Blooded Orphans units as well and those were pretty neat.

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7188 on: July 14, 2019, 12:38:28 AM »

I'm sure it would be good, unbalanced, Macross Missile Massacre fun, sure!

So, draw it up?  Here's what appears to be the only schematic view of its topside on the Web:

Should be a pretty straightforward to clean that up into a schematic view that somebody might feel like painting.
Xeno's Mod Pack

TimeDiver

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7189 on: July 14, 2019, 12:50:20 AM »

Should be a pretty straightforward to clean that up into a schematic view that somebody might feel like painting.
...paging Tartiflette to include Gundam 0083's stupidly OP (and too advanced for its era) Dendrobium mobile armor into Diable?

I mean, Diable Avionics already has a not!variable fighter and mobile suits in-general (and arguably, one space-capable Jaeger)...

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7190 on: July 14, 2019, 01:03:08 AM »

See, wouldn't that be awesome?  I mean, other than the massively-OP part.  Unless you like that.  But you couldn't possibly get around to making it if there wasn't a nice, easy-to-paint schematic view to start with, right?
Spoiler
[close]

[EDIT]It's not quite as ugly as I thought it would be.  But it's still pretty ugly.  And low-res.  No way I'm painting it, I have code to write.[/EDIT]
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 01:08:09 AM by xenoargh »
Xeno's Mod Pack

Arkiuz

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7191 on: July 14, 2019, 02:07:21 AM »

That looks pretty good.  I have no talent in painting or coding, unfortunately.  If you want to get dumbly OP, you could substitute the shield system with an I-Field.  Pretty much guaranteeing nothing but solids could touch the dang thing.

If you really want to get broken?

Spoiler

But no really, look up Deep Striker.  That thing is stupid OP and meant to patrol entire sectors of space solo and engage behind enemy lines with no support.
[close]
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 02:14:08 AM by Arkiuz »

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7192 on: July 14, 2019, 06:53:05 AM »

I've been thinking about a Dendrobium-style mobile armor for years as a DME IBB. It's just a stupid amount of work to do right, and I don't want to do it wrong. And yeah I'd be modifying the silhouette to be more interesting from the top down perspective.

Among other things, the original has a nasty pair of grabber arms, and those would be great fun to bash other ships with.

I did start the other crazy supership I want (think Ikaruga) last night...
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 07:02:46 AM by Soren »

Arkiuz

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7193 on: July 14, 2019, 07:42:31 AM »

Since I brought it up, I'd be completely willing to give feedback, proofreading, or anything that I can do to help.  I'm not a coder and I'm a terrible sprite person so I can't do anything technical.  Sorry about that.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 09:06:42 AM by Arkiuz »

shoi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7194 on: August 12, 2019, 09:33:11 PM »

Hi guys,

I tried to make the R-9A from R-type, however I 'm having a little bit of trouble:

This is based off of the R-Type Final design since I needed something where I could see thetop of the fighter, some things are still off but do you guys have any pointers or critique I could use in terms of the..I guess..color scheme? or anything else really

DasSauerkraut

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7195 on: August 20, 2019, 07:33:34 PM »

Here's something I've been working on.
Spoiler
[close]

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7196 on: August 21, 2019, 11:07:42 AM »

That's pretty cool; we all need more Giant Hammerhead in our lives ;)
Xeno's Mod Pack

WKOB

• Admiral
  • Odobenidine Benefactor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7197 on: August 21, 2019, 02:11:14 PM »

Just looking for some feedback, got the urge to start another Starsector mod I'll never finish. I've always had a more pixel-art based style rather than a good brushwork one, so my stuff never really fit into Starfarer very well, so I'm looking for advice on how to better aim my style at fitting into the game and all the wonderful artwork from the mods here. Inspiration concepts included.

The shape of the ships isn't quite where it would need to be for the factions, this is more about the color scheme and style.

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7198 on: August 21, 2019, 10:57:39 PM »

I'd say that the main thing I think you need to work on is your sense of height and use of color ramps to convey it.  Your sprites are coming out very flat-feeling. 

So, let's take one and do a little work on it:

All I've really done here is break up your design into the constituent parts (literally, just quickie lasso stuff, nothing amazing), gave them a little shape via lighting (very simple gradient fills and a little airbrush) and added some pixel detailing. 

Think about height and light, and how they create a sense of volume.  This is the difference between "flat" and "cool".
Xeno's Mod Pack

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7199 on: August 21, 2019, 11:12:14 PM »

@shoi:  Looks pretty good; it feels like it could use a little more obvious volume; the R9 has a lot of height on that central engine.  Colors look OK but I'd like to see a little more gradient on the cockit, maybe, to give a better impression of specularity?

Oh, heck, here.  Check both on dark.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 11:31:02 PM by xenoargh »
Xeno's Mod Pack
Pages: 1 ... 478 479 [480] 481 482