Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 449 450 [451] 452 453 ... 482

Author Topic: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]  (Read 2225046 times)

dk1332

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]
« Reply #6750 on: April 19, 2017, 02:27:13 AM »

Looks like a good start! Very industrial design, I can definitely see the DA Wanzer influence. Definitely needs some colour (I've been told before never to use purely unsaturated greys and whites - always have some colour, even if it's extremely light). The guns are nice and look well-enough scaled... Although I hate to think what kind of weapon that giant spark plug is.  ;D

Otherwise, the outlines are extremely bold and possibly don't need to be, especially internal ones, and you're completely missing any sense of depth. Have a go at smoothing the black lines and adding some lighting/shadow effects - it can make a flat 2D sprite really pop into life, even a small one.

I just went with this on Paint to draw the basic design. Gonna transfer to another program later. Though I'm kinda split which one should I use. I haven't made a sprite in ages and the ones I'm accustomed to was GBA and SNES sprites. As for the color, the unit was originally intended to be used by Independent factions/Civilian fleets thus the grey color scheme.

The "spark plug" looks like a flamethrower to me. Devious fighter, isn't it.

The "spark plug" is actually my take on the British army's Sten and Sterling submachine guns.

You've fallen a bit into the same problem I had; don't necessarily think you have to feel restricted to a bitmap like you might for an older game. you can use in-betweens and smudges to excellent effect You can go even further into detail.

For instance:
Spoiler
[close]

At 13 right now, and I'm currently trying to detail it (similar to vanilla hammerhead). With difficulty. It's like if you add detail to it, it ruins the lines of the ship, which is supposed to be smooth and sleek. Any ideas?

So here is my take on this ship:

And while I was at it, I recorded the process:
Spoiler
[close]

Yeah its an old habit I have to deal with sooner or later. I'm gonna gather some more info on how make the sprite look more "starsector" friendly.

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
« Reply #6751 on: April 20, 2017, 12:24:51 PM »

So here's a little taste of what I've been working on. The left is a modernized and relatively new-age heavy frigate, while the right is a supposed to be a dated heavy-bomber kept in service for many cycles. Bonus points if you can figure out what game they are recreated from (and if I've told you before, it doesn't count!)

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #6752 on: April 20, 2017, 01:49:47 PM »

no feedback cuz they look pretty amazing already imo but I'm gonna shoot for that bonus point

looks like FTL???
mmm.... tartiflette

Hessra

• Ensign
  • Carbon Strain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6753 on: April 22, 2017, 06:52:47 AM »

First of a series of bio/biomechanical ships, not sure how I'd get them working properly yet but ey.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 09:05:12 AM by Hessra »

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #6754 on: April 22, 2017, 10:28:26 AM »

A bit too pixel-art for Starsector but very nice notheless. You should take a look to the discontinued Biomancy for inspiration on the implementation.

Hessra

• Ensign
  • Carbon Strain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6755 on: April 23, 2017, 09:02:31 AM »

A bit too pixel-art for Starsector but very nice notheless. You should take a look to the discontinued Biomancy for inspiration on the implementation.
Cheers for the link dude, I tried finding a balance between pixel and paint but haven't been able to pinpoint it yet. Saw a lot of ships with clean harsh edges and some with smooth anti-aliased ones.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6756 on: April 23, 2017, 09:49:47 AM »

Cheers for the link dude, I tried finding a balance between pixel and paint but haven't been able to pinpoint it yet. Saw a lot of ships with clean harsh edges and some with smooth anti-aliased ones.
The art for the game is smooth AA (and more so after each update, it used to be more pixelart-y). Some people prefer to draw sharper contours, but they quickly see the light and usually start to add AA all their ships, myself included.

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6757 on: April 23, 2017, 11:38:36 PM »

Just had to make this.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6758 on: April 23, 2017, 11:46:51 PM »

Can't wait for a Colossus Mk.II with a large turret and Ill Advised Modifications.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6759 on: April 24, 2017, 03:58:16 PM »

Just had to make this.

I came here, specifically to post an image of the colossus, pretend that I'd made it and request feedback on my ship design that's aiming to fit the vanilla scheme lol
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

King Alfonzo

• Admiral
  • -- D O C T O R --
    • View Profile
« Reply #6760 on: April 24, 2017, 06:39:26 PM »

Can't wait for a Colossus Mk.II with a large turret and Ill Advised Modifications.

It won't have a large turret.

Spoiler
[close]

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6761 on: April 24, 2017, 06:54:26 PM »

@King Alfonzo now paint it in Luddic Path livery.  ;D

Golliourus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6762 on: April 26, 2017, 12:56:10 AM »

I hope I'm not interrupting anything... I can't sprite yet so I just decided to dump some concepts where it says non-sprite art allowed.
Spoiler
[close]
(possibly not to scale)

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6763 on: April 26, 2017, 01:14:22 AM »

Okay, those are not half bad, they could yield some interesting middleground between Blackrock Driveyard's and Pegasus Belt Council's ships. Do you intend to turn them into sprites?

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6764 on: April 26, 2017, 01:21:48 AM »

Hot damn, those are pretty damn awesome.  :o
Pages: 1 ... 449 450 [451] 452 453 ... 482