Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 437 438 [439] 440 441 ... 482

Author Topic: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]  (Read 2210726 times)

cjuicy

• Captain
  • Figuring out how the hell to wear heels (She/it)
    • View Profile
Re: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]
« Reply #6570 on: February 19, 2017, 10:37:07 AM »

Since it looks like a brick, and it probably hits like a truck, perhaps the name Tsunami would fit?
It's been a long time, but I still love ya!

- Pfp done by Sleepyfish!

King Alfonzo

• Admiral
  • -- D O C T O R --
    • View Profile
« Reply #6571 on: February 19, 2017, 02:30:07 PM »

Taking suggestions into account, here is an updated Wren:

I think I'm pretty much done with it. The sprite is just a hair big for a destroyer, but I think its fine. It will be a heavy ship with a powerful system (though awkward arcs).

It's really good, but the main issue I have is, visually, there's a line across the middle of the ship, from left to right, across the 'wings'. Ata glance, the greebling from the armour, the back of the cockpit, and where some of the armour plates end is a straight line that makes the ship look like it's just two that have been photoshopped together. If you made the grey armour bits around the central 'core' longer and made the cockpit go down a little bit further, it'd look much better.

[Edit]
While cutting up the "Brick", I found a section that looked really cool so made a few variations of it as a standalone largish frigate. I'm thinking the Duck class cargo frigate:

The rightmost sprite is about the same size as a Lasher. Not sure where I would put weapons on any of them, to be honest. Thoughts?

Going with the middle one: The straight corners of the front 'bill' annoys me immensely, and the armour around the central medium turret clashes with the armour on the bill. If the corners were a bit rounder and there was a darker distinction between the weapon mount and the front I'd like it much better.

Progress on the "Brick" (anyone have an idea for a name?):

The interior grey piping is supposed to suggest that the machinery for the main guns takes up most of the length of the ship - did this come across? I'm planning on putting a ballistic firepower system on the ship, with the only ballistic mounts being the pair of large hardpoints.

(I also just noticed that the central medium mount got its center sliced away during a mirror and is now not circular. Like I said, needs cleaning.)

That is an amazing sprite. I like the wings, and the half-armour half-interior machinery look is something I've always wanted to do but always sucked at. You've pulled it off marvelously. My one gripe is the 'interior' armour of the blades 'fits' weirdly with the centre armour plates over the large hardpoints. If that region was cleaned up a teeny bit it's be perfect. Perhaps you can stick the small mounts there?

As for the name, perhaps Trident? Or Crown? Or Pelican?

Overall some pretty neat kitbashes. Were you thinking of making a faction or ship pack?

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6572 on: February 19, 2017, 03:03:16 PM »

@King Alfonzo
Ahhhh, I can't unsee the "crease". And I thought I was done with that one too :P.

Duck: Yeah, I like the center one the best too. I see what you mean about the 'bill's' corners being too sharp - I think I'm going to extend them and make the area darker so that it looks like that bit tucks under the diagonal plating. I don't see that clash in color, but I'll play around with unifying the plating scheme.

Brick: I think I like cjusa's Tsunami idea... can't stick with birds forever, and it does fit the ship's aggressive frontal style. I can't imagine Pelican being anything other than a big old carrier, so I think that will be slated for a cruiser carrier (which might be my next kitbash, though I've always been bad at carriers.)

@King Alfonzo: Wow, thanks for the compliments! I spent waaay too long on merging the interior piping, so I'm glad it looks good. I see what you mean about the blades not fitting near the frontal large hardpoint plates, will clean :).

I'm thinking about actually not putting any more guns on it - if the player wants frontal PD they can put it in the medium energy slots. The forward large hardpoints should be enough firepower for direct action.

(In combat I see the Tsunami(?) barely losing to a Dominator in a 1 v 1, mainly due to the Dominator's missile complement, but it will be a little faster, a bunch more maneuverable, and have strong shields. Without a mobility system and with weak turret power it will be in trouble of being swarmed.)

I was going to make a midline ship pack (no weapons though - between vanilla and SWP I think everything that needs to be covered is covered for vanilla flavor). I actually have a pair of ancient frigate kitbashes I did years ago I was going to clean up and include, so so far I have 4 frigates, a destroyer, and a cruiser. Sprites only, haven't plugged them into the ship editor yet. I want another destroyer, but I don't know what role to try and fill.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 03:06:39 PM by Thaago »

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6573 on: February 21, 2017, 01:19:05 PM »

For the brick, if you want to keep the bird theme, I suggest Paracrax.  (Name found by plugging 'terror bird' into wikipedia and then following some links.)
(I also just noticed that the central medium mount got its center sliced away during a mirror and is now not circular. Like I said, needs cleaning.)
Ah, so that's what happened to the middle turret!  I'd noticed something was off about it, but hadn't realized exactly what.
I'm thinking about actually not putting any more guns on it - if the player wants frontal PD they can put it in the medium energy slots. The forward large hardpoints should be enough firepower for direct action.
If you want a couple of small mounts up front for aesthetic reasons (turrets or hardpoints, either one), I'd suggest small missile mounts; those can't (normally) be used for PD, but having a few harpoons on hand would make for an interesting complement to, say, a double-kinetic load-out in the large slots.  That said, cutting it off at its current armament isn't a bad plan either.

On the Duck: I'd be inclined to go with option two, as others have suggested - but leave it with just a single medium energy slot.  Start with the Vigilance's stats, add a bit more flux dissipation/capacity and perhaps a slightly wider shield arc, and up the cargo space (and maybe fuel capacity); the game could always use another decent combat freighter.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Ryxsen1421

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #6574 on: February 23, 2017, 10:43:33 AM »

Abyz

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

Romeo_One

• Captain
  • "Let me do the german dance for you..."
    • View Profile
    • Rejection - The Fight for Unity
« Reply #6576 on: February 25, 2017, 01:50:28 AM »

Hi there guys,

its been a while, so what do you think about this one? :)

Spoiler
[close]

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6577 on: February 25, 2017, 02:03:31 AM »

Neat pixel art style.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6578 on: February 25, 2017, 08:59:42 AM »

@Ryxsen1421
I like it a lot! My only comment is that, maybe because of the white background, the front diagonals look very pixelated. Maybe do some anti-aliasing there?

@Romeo_One
Neat! I really like the blue glow over dark armor from the light. Just be aware that long skinny ships tend to work a little poorly in the game - I think this ship should be fine, but its near the limit in terms of aspect ratio.

Romeo_One

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6579 on: February 26, 2017, 09:56:19 AM »

@Romeo_One
Neat! I really like the blue glow over dark armor from the light. Just be aware that long skinny ships tend to work a little poorly in the game - I think this ship should be fine, but its near the limit in terms of aspect ratio.

Performance wise or is there a technical issue with long skinny ships?

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6580 on: February 26, 2017, 11:02:02 AM »

There was a major technical issue with long skinny ships; it's been (mostly) fixed, though.  Essentially, the AI does its rangefinding assuming that the target ship is represented by an oval or egg-shape*, and a ship that's too far off from that (to the tune of 50 pixels or so) starts to have problems.  This used to be a sphere, which made long skinny ships have issues where the AI would fire at its sides while still out of range.  But it only ever mattered for large ships, so your ship ought to be fine regardless.

*Actually, it's divided into quadrants, with each quadrant getting its own arc.  Exactly where the dividing lines go and how these are calculated... I really don't know.  Oval or egg-shape is a good enough approximation, though.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6581 on: February 26, 2017, 11:21:35 AM »

Oh! I missed when that fix happened. Thanks Wyvern!

Romeo_One

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6582 on: February 26, 2017, 11:25:55 AM »

Wicked, good to know its been mostly fixed :D

Romeo_One

• Captain
    • View Profile