Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 433 434 [435] 436 437 ... 482

Author Topic: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]  (Read 2211091 times)

Takion Kasukedo

• Admiral
  • No longer drinking (Alcohol that is)
    • View Profile
Re: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]
« Reply #6510 on: December 28, 2016, 01:43:23 AM »

Decided to start having a stab at portraits traced artfully derived from my Idea Pictures folder, for Starsector, for My Own Purposes. Started out something simple: masks. I can imagine these ones popping up in CABAL, pirate and Tritachyon fleets (a la The Purge). Additionally Silhouettes for Tritachyon and Hegemony for a bit of ominous pezazz, and Gendo, because NGO brings in Fuyutsuki, so why not Gendo?

Thoughts? Critiques?

PS: HEGEMONY STRONK

It looks like these would be pretty neat if it happens, knowing well of the 3rd one as well means you can shoot a lot, and that'll be their face most likely as their fleet is stripped of ships.
Is now able to cook a decent Creamy Salmon Pasta, amok other things.

Still loves purple. Still not skilled enough to make a mod that doesn't get that one damn error.

TheBawkHawk

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6511 on: December 28, 2016, 09:59:56 AM »

PS: HEGEMONY STRONK

REMOVE TRI-TACHYON

Also, I really like the last 2 portraits.

King Alfonzo

• Admiral
  • -- D O C T O R --
    • View Profile
« Reply #6512 on: December 28, 2016, 07:16:53 PM »

REMOVE TRI-TACHYON

Thoughts Recieved.

Trying to do less trace and more actual work. I don't think things have improved. Thoughts?

Abyz

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6513 on: December 28, 2016, 09:51:53 PM »

I want masque1 plz. CLAIMED

King Alfonzo

• Admiral
  • -- D O C T O R --
    • View Profile
« Reply #6514 on: December 29, 2016, 07:22:48 PM »

Once I have a 'library' so to speak, I'll release it as a mini-mod pack.

EDIT:

Tonight, on TOP FLUX...

James May converts to Luddism...

[Luddite: Welcome to the CHurch of Galactic Redemption, brother!

May: But, bu-no, I don't-]

...Richard Hammond completely loses his mind...

[Hammond (at the helm of a D-class Hermes): you may not realize it, but this is the fastest ship in the sector (nods knowingly to the camera)]

...and I test drive the new Mark II Hyperion.

[Clarkson: Screams uncontrollably as Hyperion performs insane maneuvers]

[Guitar sting]

Takion Kasukedo

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6515 on: January 02, 2017, 03:19:45 PM »

Once I have a 'library' so to speak, I'll release it as a mini-mod pack.

EDIT:

Tonight, on TOP FLUX...

James May converts to Luddism...

[Luddite: Welcome to the CHurch of Galactic Redemption, brother!

May: But, bu-no, I don't-]

...Richard Hammond completely loses his mind...

[Hammond (at the helm of a D-class Hermes): you may not realize it, but this is the fastest ship in the sector (nods knowingly to the camera)]

...and I test drive the new Mark II Hyperion.

[Clarkson: Screams uncontrollably as Hyperion performs insane maneuvers]

[Guitar sting]

This is a nice reference to Grand Tour in space.

Also GHOST! But Ludd-ified!

Still loves purple. Still not skilled enough to make a mod that doesn't get that one damn error.

Techhead

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6516 on: January 02, 2017, 03:40:21 PM »

The stock portraits have a lot of deep shadows and stark highlights, and I think that's why I love them. And I think the deep shadows are part of why they work so well plain black backgrounds. A lot of mod portraits don't really have that effect to them, and they look jarring to me next to default ones.

King Alfonso, your portraits come close, but I think you can push it the lighting further and really hit the spot.

King Alfonzo

• Admiral
  • -- D O C T O R --
    • View Profile
« Reply #6517 on: January 02, 2017, 04:40:14 PM »

This is a nice reference to Grand Tour in space.

Also GHOST! But Ludd-ified!

Grand Tour in Space...that sounds amazing.

Also, was thinking of turning that green to white for Ghost's hat; the green seems ... off.

The stock portraits have a lot of deep shadows and stark highlights, and I think that's why I love them. And I think the deep shadows are part of why they work so well plain black backgrounds. A lot of mod portraits don't really have that effect to them, and they look jarring to me next to default ones.

King Alfonso, your portraits come close, but I think you can push it the lighting further and really hit the spot.

So something closer to this?

Techhead

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6518 on: January 02, 2017, 08:08:28 PM »

Yeah, that does look more like Vanilla SS portraits. (Although I can definitely tell you used filters to do it, I don't begrudge not wanting to repaint all of them.)

King Alfonzo

• Admiral
  • -- D O C T O R --
    • View Profile
« Reply #6519 on: January 02, 2017, 10:39:51 PM »

Yeah, redoing them all would be a pain in the neck. Might need to redo James May, he looks too much like Snape at the moment.

Tried something a little bit different. Improvement?

RandomnessInc

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6520 on: January 05, 2017, 12:51:58 PM »

Might need to redo James May, he looks too much like Snape at the moment.

Three points to the Hegemony
May the fry be with you.

Takion Kasukedo

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6521 on: January 06, 2017, 08:42:20 AM »

So, I made two ships recently, but one was too big for it's designated class so I remade a ship from it's hull

-
Spoiler
[close]
- The Remake

-
Spoiler
[close]
- The Original, also the first ship I had made.

Both look better in a dark background, as I had figured out.

Lucian Greymark

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6522 on: January 06, 2017, 09:50:21 AM »

I like your style but the perspective is... weird. Like it's 'standing up' instead of 'laying flat' maybe that will change as you fill in the detail.

Edit: Or rather it looks like the ship is tilting up away from the viewer, like an aircraft taking off from a runway. I think it's the engine blocks, or whatever those lines at the back are, which give it the illusion of the back of the ship facing towards the viewer. In game it might look fine, especially if you add some 'flat' engine blocks.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 09:52:29 AM by Lucian Greymark »

Machine

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6523 on: January 06, 2017, 06:23:08 PM »

Spoiler
[close]

Considering I've wanted to do this thing for quite a while, I decided to try making an artificial ring by making a large "station", instead of adding it to the planet's texture itself as my previous ancient attempt.

The ring itself is a very early WIP, made just to see if the idea was feasible. The sprite is a direct render from 3ds max, so no post processing was done, actually it is a simple set of grouped boxes around a thin torus repeated 72 times at regular angle intervals... It's not even textured. Yet I think it would look nice if done properly.

Also, please ignore the circular indicator, I forgot to remove it, and the red line across the planet's surface which is meant to be the equator and  done to align the render's shadow with it, but I set the planet's  tilt to the right when it should have been left.

I'm not sure if I should go for a more realistic look, with a much thinner ring, or just keep it as thick as it currently is, after all the game doesn't have a precise scaling, angled rings or megastructures, anyway I would like some feedback in that respect. Or maybe I should just go for a flat ring, like the natural rings in some systems.

Also I'll ask a question, is there any way to animate a station sprite (giving it multiple frames)?, I doubt it is actually possible, but I would surely exploit this if doable.

King Alfonzo

• Admiral
  • -- D O C T O R --
    • View Profile
« Reply #6524 on: January 06, 2017, 08:19:04 PM »

I'm not sure if I should go for a more realistic look, with a much thinner ring, or just keep it as thick as it currently is, after all the game doesn't have a precise scaling, angled rings or megastructures, anyway I would like some feedback in that respect. Or maybe I should just go for a flat ring, like the natural rings in some systems.

Looks alright as a thick ring, but I think the issue is lighting; the light should not be seen 'top down', like what you've done, but 'side-on'. Also the shadow on the planet makes the ring look like the ring is actually connected to the 'side' of the planet - it should just run parallel so to speak with the ring station itself.

Otherwise it looks pretty cool, very unique, a bit special, a bit noice.
Pages: 1 ... 433 434 [435] 436 437 ... 482