Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 371 372 [373] 374 375 ... 482

Author Topic: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]  (Read 2222576 times)

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]
« Reply #5580 on: August 08, 2015, 04:48:33 AM »

Ember, honestly this is probably your weakest sprite yet. Unnecessarily dark, the "eyes" things on the cockpit, the overall shape, monstrously oversized and over-gunned... Not convinced, at all.

Ember

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5581 on: August 08, 2015, 01:30:50 PM »

better?

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5582 on: August 08, 2015, 02:36:38 PM »

It's certainly better, in terms of silhouette; it's cooler-looking by quite a bit.  That said, it's still very much Destroyer-sized, in terms of the main body (the first one was almost a Cruiser).  Since this is meant for a Vanilla mod, comparing relative sizes as you go is always valuable.

The main things I'd like to see another pass to refine are:
Spoiler
1.  The "wings" are very undefined, in terms of height.  They're practically just straight black, which doesn't work; a strong edge highlight would really help bring out the form.
2.  The red striping areas are so muted that they're somewhat hard to see, and they don't convey height change very well, because the ramp's too subtle.
3.  In general, I'd go over the forms and find areas where more highlights could really make the forms pop more.
[close]

All that may be premature, though, if you're still working through the core of the forms, and it's something that's easier to fiddle with when you're sure it's good to go :)
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Thule

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5583 on: August 08, 2015, 06:26:52 PM »

Hi Ember, was wondering if your monitor is calibrated, because your sprites have definitly colour in them, it's just waay to dark imo.

Ember

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5584 on: August 08, 2015, 06:38:51 PM »

it should be, its weird, when I'm working on them they look good and not dark but as soon as I upload and post them they seem to get dark or something. I'll lighten it up though : /

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #5585 on: August 09, 2015, 12:54:15 AM »

Then you should check if you have the correct pixel depth (8bits), your software display Gamma setting is neutral (1), your file is in RGBA (not CMYK or other) and your chose a neutral Color Space. Google is your friend for all that since it depend on both your image editing software and the 3d render engine you use to make the base, but if the image change when you upload it any of this could explain it.

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5586 on: August 09, 2015, 10:59:57 AM »

"THE NEXT 37 MINUTES!!!"

or: "I'm not sure why but I feel compelled to keep recording this"

https://youtu.be/-9iA5XV_uO8

Output:

Getting there ...

A few decisions:

- No part of the ship is sacred at this stage. The nose gets cut off. Might end up mounting a sensor array on one side to give some more overt asymmetry.
- I felt like my highlighting wasn't bold enough, I duplicated the layer and kept it there (merging it with it's mother). I can always bring it down a bit if I find it's too much in game.
- I'm not sure whether I like the colours, but it's going to be called a Labrador, so it needs some homage to the beast.

Next stage I think is to get it through SFED, stick some engines in test positions to see how the flare works, and then add the engines where they will work. Also hopefully the weapon mounts work okay, but that remains to be seen.

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

Ember

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5587 on: August 09, 2015, 11:18:17 AM »

found the problem!

apparently I was missing the addition layer I usually use to brighten the sprites up, I could have sworn that I had added it in before, not sure how it got lost, maybe I accidentally deleted it and just didn't notice X3

Ahne

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5588 on: August 09, 2015, 02:05:33 PM »

@Mendonca
Nice ship and interesting approach of how to sprite a ship for starsector, looks cool!

celestis

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5589 on: August 11, 2015, 10:07:59 AM »

Hi again! Here's another non-kitbashed ship of mine. Tried something a bit more high-tech looking (Paragon inspired) and symmetrical. It is a cruiser, probably for exploration. Feedback appreciated, as always.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5590 on: August 11, 2015, 04:58:10 PM »

Something I messed with today.  Just a quickie test of a few things; this little guy is more of a thought-experiment than a practical thing.  Some of the fun isn't terribly visible on light backgrounds :)

@Celestis:  That's pretty cool overall; great design :D

Critique:
Spoiler
Overall, that's pretty good, and a big improvement.  Very excited about the look of that design and I hope to see more like that :)

1. The lighting could use a little more work in places; the central body feels lit more on the left than the right, and not highlighted on the center, but the rest of the light implies light coming from mainly overhead.  
2. The blue areas also need another look; are they paint, or light sources?  If they're paint, they need more shading; if they're light sources, then they need more work to pop, especially that part on the middle, where it gets lost a bit on the light gray.
3.  Look at each hull panel on the final pass and see what you can make pop a bit better with edge highlights.

[close]
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

star_sektor

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5591 on: August 11, 2015, 07:38:37 PM »

light(?) frigate(corvette?)

this is my first sprite
i would appreciate your feedbacks

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 09:35:57 PM by star_sektor »
Spriting a capital ship? Ain't no one got time fo dat

Ahne

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5592 on: August 11, 2015, 11:47:14 PM »

Looks like a lowtech industrial ship, like a repair or survey ship. looks good, try to hold that style and show us some more ships so we can get a better overview

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #5593 on: August 12, 2015, 02:13:04 AM »

Looks like a lowtech industrial ship, like a repair or survey ship. looks good, try to hold that style and show us some more ships so we can get a better overview

Agreed, very cool! I look forward to more
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

star_sektor

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5594 on: August 12, 2015, 03:41:20 AM »

the front looked rather unrelated so i changed it a bit

[attachment deleted by admin]
Spriting a capital ship? Ain't no one got time fo dat
Pages: 1 ... 371 372 [373] 374 375 ... 482