Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 366 367 [368] 369 370 ... 482

Author Topic: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]  (Read 2210674 times)

Protonus

• Captain
  • AAAAAAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
Re: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]
« Reply #5505 on: July 26, 2015, 10:55:55 PM »

Side-by side you can see a stark difference here. For one, The old Vaktmor- Oldvak -is much brighter and comes off as a little... odd, when placed against other ships in the Metelson catalouge and generally has a bad shape around it, it looks plain flipping ugly I feel. It's not bad Per Se. But it's simply not what I though would come out. So, again, Redesign~!  This time I took the MediumTnaker from SS and put it as a canvas or  Size Referance. After that I simply begun to graywork for it, then based on the gray work, I begun to make the color work. Made a color-work base and then. From a duplicate of that, begun to paint and paint and paint on the micro-scale tilll I got what you see now.

Now it looks like it can punch your pretty Tempest three light-years away and still be laughing by the time it's grub time in it's galleys~!

On the looks of it. It seems the details on the first design looked they were hand-drawn and not refurbished as a rustic figure compared to its "Newer" model, and it doesn't appear like it matches up with the line of your other ships due to the lighter coloring on its rear.

The engines of the first one also look like as if they were welded together. Like I haven't done on my work. :l

The second build's engines are well-fitted, on the other hand, while the rear attached to it looked like was there from the beginning of the ship's manufacturing. Which is quite the improvement, I might say.

NO~! Le-gasp! I FOUND PARTS OF MY SHIP IN THAT LAST BATCH THAT EI MADE~! She made my Pala into a friggin' box cookies~! :'(  No cookies... No more.

I could call in EI if she has a chance to drop in. She's been married to "her work"... well, college work but I figure what kind of dedication she's been doing so far.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 11:02:06 PM by Protonus »

The cookies are a weird one, okay.

Az the Squishy

• Captain
  • I'm but a woman with a pencil.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5506 on: July 26, 2015, 11:47:14 PM »

I was just poking fun at something Red had said in my fourms about my ships. xD She said her own would eat mine.   I'm sure she's fine otherwise.
Back on topic however I do realize that, but I still find the ship over'all ugly compared tot he others... The other's had good shape, and looked like a well defined vessle. The Oldvak looks and flys badly. It just doesn't feel good to me. As foxer pointed out though, it has potential, so. I'll put it to be Canabilized later and see what I come up with. But I'm glad you- and hopfully others -have enjoyed the ships.

CrazyDave

• Commander
  • Never left, stopped posting
    • View Profile
« Reply #5507 on: July 27, 2015, 12:39:34 AM »

Hey all, im still alive! I've got a new ship in the works; Naysmyth's attempt at a high tech destroyer, which basically just means lots and lots of energy weapons. Why use armour where you could put more weapons?

I need some input though... The shape just doesn't feel right. Too front heavy maybe?

Latun-Class:

Yes yes, I'm missing a bunch of stuff, and that built in weapon is more of a placeholder than anything. Still very WIP!
Naysmyth Armouries, for all your blasting needs.

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5508 on: July 27, 2015, 02:43:28 AM »

Isn't that some kind of Condor CrazyDave? Anyway i'm eager to see your first destroyer done.

Azmond, i noticed two big things in your recent works. The biggest issue is probably the straight lines, a lot of your new ships have a lot of those, which is why i tend to prefer some of your old version like the old Varingur or Thrudgelmir. For exemple i really dislike some ships like the newer Varingur or the Protrum.

The other issue is that your ships tends to be blurry, your Vaktmor is probably the biggest offender. Even after the coloring you can still clearly see the greywork on it, which make it dirty, the bad kind of dirty. And it feel way too different from SS original style and even your previous work.

I probably sound confusing and i'm not really sure myself i have nailed the right problem. Anyway, i tried to tweak the Rastrum (which is probably your best ship yet) to try to show some of my points.

Middle one is the reworked version. Basically i reinforced the shading and sharpened the lines so that it appears less blurry. I placed a Medusa for comparison as SS ships tends have very sharp lines like that. A more experienced spriter might be able to help you better but at least i'm sure about those two things:

-Your ships are too blurry.

-Nobody likes straight lines. Little bits that stick out are enough to kill them and keep the boxy feeling.

CrazyDave

• Commander
  • Never left, stopped posting
    • View Profile
« Reply #5509 on: July 27, 2015, 06:01:29 AM »

Actually its my second destroyer. Didn't i post it at some point? Here it is if you wanted to see :)

Zheleza-Class:

Mmmm actually that size difference is pretty significant. dammit...
Naysmyth Armouries, for all your blasting needs.

Lind

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5510 on: July 27, 2015, 06:14:18 AM »

So..Got my hands on the game and made a pirate gunship to celebrate my first couple of hours of gameplay. (Yes, huge buildup for a simple explanation)
The deal is, I'm gonna be making a bunch or pirate ships which i plan to either integrate in the pirate faction or add as a new pirate faction, as I've noticed hunting for pirates is.. somewhat limited to Lashers, Hounds and Cerberuses. The idea is to add a bunch of "rarer" pirate only ships, which can only be obtained through boarding, hence adding a little something to bounty hunting, should be fairly easy to implement from what I've seen.

Gonna explain the weapons placement as I finally can think out my layouts:

It's an heavy Frigate/small Destroyer, it's about as big as the Cerberus.
Pros: Well armed, pretty fast and agile for its size.
Cons: Fully ballistic, front shield only, quick flux build up and low armor. (makes sense as it has wires and such sticking out of it.) Also the engines in an assault config are gonna be pretty vulnerable to Salamanders and such.

I balanced it off the Brawler, if you use the two gyros to have kinetic/frag, it's gonna outdamage the Brawler in a full on assault, but having the weapons more spread out, it's gonna need a lot more attention in manouvering and it's gonna be fairly more fragile, if you use those for pd, it's gonna be weaker than the brawler in a full front combat, but it's gonna be far harder to take down. I may switch an hard point for a small missile, we'll see.

Ahne

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5511 on: July 27, 2015, 07:52:40 AM »

Sounds cool, looking forward for a new pirate faction!

Don't disappoint me Lind : ) , i need to blow off even more degenerated pirates hehe

Az the Squishy

• Captain
  • I'm but a woman with a pencil.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5512 on: July 27, 2015, 08:39:30 AM »

Azmond, i noticed two big things in your recent works. The biggest issue is probably the straight lines, a lot of your new ships have a lot of those, which is why i tend to prefer some of your old version like the old Varingur or Thrudgelmir. For exemple i really dislike some ships like the newer Varingur or the Protrum.

The other issue is that your ships tends to be blurry, your Vaktmor is probably the biggest offender. Even after the coloring you can still clearly see the greywork on it, which make it dirty, the bad kind of dirty. And it feel way too different from SS original style and even your previous work.

I probably sound confusing and i'm not really sure myself i have nailed the right problem. Anyway, i tried to tweak the Rastrum (which is probably your best ship yet) to try to show some of my points.

Middle one is the reworked version. Basically i reinforced the shading and sharpened the lines so that it appears less blurry. I placed a Medusa for comparison as SS ships tends have very sharp lines like that. A more experienced spriter might be able to help you better but at least i'm sure about those two things:

-Your ships are too blurry.

-Nobody likes straight lines. Little bits that stick out are enough to kill them and keep the boxy feeling.

I'll have to see about refining them then. The Protrum is still more or less an idea- a very finished idea -but an idea. ... I'll give some of the ships a pass-over an stop working on sprites to make more. Focus on the ones I have now. xD

As for Vaktmor, I'm glad I have a better shape down, but I whole-heartly agree. Something didn't settele right with me about it. I felt it was the colors and shadow. But at your take, I better see what you're likely meaning. I'll spend my last three days not looking for a job doing this job.At the end of this month I'll be looking for a job, apprenticeship or not.

... Damn it, now I just spend some minutes looking at your post and thinking It'd be best to redo Vaktmor again, gyauh! ... oh well, regardless of what I do, It'll be an attempt to improve~!

@ Lind

Very nice, I like the custom Turret mounts and the over-all look of the ship. Bu the engines feel more sharply defined than the rest of the ship. At least, the side one's for sure. Likewise, the entire ship feels a little fuzzy too.

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5513 on: July 27, 2015, 09:59:17 AM »

Spoiler

[close]

Paraphrased: Pirate Faction, aw yeah

Well, this is gonna be awesome.  That sprite is looking really quite good.  Fantastic job on the assymetry.  There a couple areas where the armor plates are a little indistinct which I would suggest giving a little more work, but overall this is a very nice sprite.

Nanao-kun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5514 on: July 27, 2015, 10:12:30 AM »

Lind, that's a really nice ship. Though it kinda feels like the green hull doesn't really stand out as much as everything else.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5515 on: July 27, 2015, 03:20:32 PM »

@Azmond:  Overall, I like that you're playing with colors and themes here, and the shapes, whilst still feeling a bit kitbashed, are improving a lot.

Critique:
Spoiler
1.  I agree with HELMUT on the straight-lines stuff; you either want to have it be very very deliberate or not at all.

2.  I feel that you really need to work on getting contrast levels up a bit.  That often takes a second pass over areas that feel a bit mushy, in terms of form; I see a lot of areas on those designs where a bit more push would really bring out the details you've worked very hard on.  Like I said to Lind earlier, you need to back out and look at it at 1X quite a lot when you're at the end and are trying to find the areas you need to make pop more.
[close]

@Lind:  I'd like to see that in Pirate Red, myself.  Anyhow, great job and amazing progress; that's a sweet design and it feels pretty balanced.

Critique:
Spoiler
1.  This is a minor, annoying, me-being-persnickety comment:  I like everything except for the major highlights, where the light source is not centered.  SS Vanilla ships are generally lit in a centered way.  Anyhow, that's a very minor gripe and I think it's kind of a wash; artistic license is important and if you feel that makes it, go for it :)

2.  The only really major thing I see that I'd work on a bit more is the sense of scale.  That's a fairly big ship for a Frigate, bigger than all of the Vanilla frigates.  

To put it into perspective, it's only 8 pixels smaller in width than an Enforcer, and 18 pixels wider than the Brawler (16% wider, to put it another way), while being 4 pixels longer than a Vigilance.  It's almost Destroyer-sized, basically.

However, it feels smaller than it should, because there aren't small, telltale areas of pure pixel-art work suggesting the true scale.  A few specific greeble areas that really pop with high contrast would really make this piece perfect.  I think that you could probably get where you want it to be in less than 30 minutes with some pixel-work bringing out a few things or adding a few new invented greebles that are small enough to reinforce that we're looking at something that's roughly 64 meters wide.

Anyhow, sorry if this sounds like, "hey, good work but it sucks"- it absolutely doesn't and I think you will turn it into massive bit of Win, frankly; you've really gotten more progress in less time than most ever manage here and I am really excited about the design.  Just think about scale a bit more and maybe find some areas to make that happen; get it to 100% awesome.
[close]

@CrazyDave:  Yeah, scale.  Generally, try to look at Vanilla ships for some guidance; that new Destroyer is Cruiser-sized.

The other Destroyer feels like it could use a little more oomph on levels, just like what we went through with the Frigate, and maybe a few special touches here and there, but it's not bad at all :)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 03:25:44 PM by xenoargh »
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #5516 on: July 27, 2015, 03:36:44 PM »

The deal is, I'm gonna be making a bunch or pirate ships which i plan to either integrate in the pirate faction or add as a new pirate faction, as I've noticed hunting for pirates is.. somewhat limited to Lashers, Hounds and Cerberuses.

Nice spaceship.
Also you should check out the Modiverse as there are several pirate extensions that exists already that will increase variety. Excited to see your sprites and the mod you will create from it :)

Lcu

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5517 on: July 28, 2015, 03:33:50 AM »

Hello all, it's been a while since i posted, here's my work :
I was not happy with the destroyer i worked on a few months back, as i feel such an awesome silhouette used on a destroyer would be anticlimactic, so i resized it into a cruiser and redesigned it with my new(er) techniques and shading. It's missing some hull paint, i know. I need feedback on the highlighting and shading.
Spoiler
Old :

New :
[close]

My soon to be faction :
Spoiler
[close]

Oh wait i forgot to do the practical dusting...... i'll do it later if it's really necessary......
Spoiler
Ctrl+F, type 6
[close]

MrDavidoff

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5518 on: July 28, 2015, 04:20:08 PM »

Nope, nothing new here to see, but I got a mail a while back, on how i sprite(tbh must have been months ago, sry about that), finally found some time to put it together. Actually took a while to find all the bits and pieces.

Spoiler
[close]

celestis

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5519 on: July 29, 2015, 12:12:11 AM »

I finally decided to do some spriting for self-education and probably a new faction mod. Style may be not very starsector-like, but still...
Midline exploration destroyer (no kitbash):
Spoiler
[close]
Pages: 1 ... 366 367 [368] 369 370 ... 482