Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 285 286 [287] 288 289 ... 482

Author Topic: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]  (Read 2224351 times)

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]
« Reply #4290 on: August 22, 2014, 02:20:04 PM »

Ok, double posting. Here's an updated version of the Alfa Frigate. There's a medium missile mount in the middle, now, if anyone was wondering what the hell it was.
Spoiler
[close]

Ok, so, here is a histogram of your ship. Fairly evident what the output was going to be like, but this is why mspaint is bad, black outlines are bad...just...overall why the ship doesn't fit in with the overall vanilla look - it needs more colour range in between. Needs to look like there are more sections to the ship, more geometry to give it a sense of scale, it looks more like a fighter than a frigate.

Also there is no edge anti-aliasing, the lighting is utterly flat so the entire ship looks flat as a result. There is also no AA done internally on curves or lines that are not horizontal or vertical, nor any sub-pixel accurate colouration to help give great sense of scale and sw

Anyway it's a good start, but it's another day or two away from being complete.

Other than that it's a nice design, lots of forward facing firepower, you might want to be some more greebles/pipes and such around the engines?

Bjørn_in_the_Sector

• Commander
  • Have a towel, just need a ship...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4291 on: August 22, 2014, 02:36:10 PM »

Thanks, I'm pretty new to the whole spriting thing, so it's going to be a while before I can really get good at this stuff. The problem is that I do want my faction to use lots of white armour plating... I'm not sure how I can reconcile that idea with how most of the ships look. :/ Hopefully I can get some inspiration somewhere soon!
Executive Creative Director of Naysmyth Armouries Mod (Very WIP)

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4292 on: August 22, 2014, 02:54:05 PM »

Well white is a great colour, but I strongly suggest looking at the following vanilla sprites:
White with some blue:
apogee_cx.png
shuttle_modern.png
shuttle_modernB.png

Off-white, still 'White':
Conquest_bc.png
eagle_ca.png
falcon_cl.png
hammerhead_dd.png
shuttle_ff.png
shuttle_ffB.png
monitor_ff2.png

White with some yellow and blue stripes:
odyssey.png.

When you look at these under starsector-core\graphics\ships have a look at the actual colours that David Baumgart has used. White? Yes, but variations of yellow, light browns, light pinks.

By adding dirt and such to your ships it helps keep it with the them of the game, these are hard working ships that fly through space dust and asteroids and accumulate a 'not pure white' colour. Certainly you can use shades of grey, but there are many subtleties in achieving the vanilla look by sampling.

And if you're looking for a 'flat top' surface have a look at the buffalo_af.png. You'll notice even in those long white stretches there are sprinkles of red, yellow and dozens of subtle shades of white. And even though the engines looks sort of 'grey' they're actually shades of grey, blue, red/brown and tinges of black at the back .

Ember

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4293 on: August 22, 2014, 03:03:13 PM »

decided to make a destroyer sized carrier for my faction as a cheaper alternative to my carrier cruiser

hows it look?

maximilianyuen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4294 on: August 23, 2014, 02:07:59 AM »

I tried to improve the gravity wheels by adding small volumes, a better lighting and a stronger contact shadow when they are inside the hulls:
Spoiler
                           NEW                                                              OLD

[close]

edit: replaced by a newer version.
edit2: replaced with an even newer version, with a more subtle shadow.
This is probably the final version.

amazing.
working on a cargo ship, might as well try adding one for try sake :)
Fleet construction in progress.

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4295 on: August 23, 2014, 11:16:25 AM »

amazing.
working on a cargo ship, might as well try adding one for try sake :)
Spoiler
[close]

Them greebles! Great work!

CrookedFruit

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4296 on: August 23, 2014, 06:18:28 PM »

Made using galactic civilizations 3. :P

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4297 on: August 23, 2014, 06:40:57 PM »

@Bjørn
I personally like the look of your ship, Bjørn, regardless of what Debido says. :P

It could use some shading overall, though.  Just about all the colors are flat, especially around the command copula area.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 06:43:21 PM by The Soldier »
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Nanao-kun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4298 on: August 23, 2014, 07:35:08 PM »

Made using galactic civilizations 3. :P
Woah. Nice.

Made by taking the top view of the ship?

Bjørn_in_the_Sector

• Commander
  • Have a towel, just need a ship...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4299 on: August 23, 2014, 07:41:56 PM »

Executive Creative Director of Naysmyth Armouries Mod (Very WIP)

CrookedFruit

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4300 on: August 23, 2014, 09:05:12 PM »

Woah. Nice.

Made by taking the top view of the ship?

yes, originally it was like this.

Spoiler
[close]

Once they update the game hopefully i'll be able to do something better.

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4301 on: August 24, 2014, 04:10:38 AM »

Yeah, the GalCiv editor seems a very interesting way to cheaply create new ships. The Aesthetic isn't really starsector-esque but with some Photoshop on top of it that would very good. Or hell, for a total conversion maybe? My only gripe here is the black outline around the ship, can be easily get rid of by using a 0% opacity inner stroke though.

Spoiler
[close]

I don't know how the editor work so it's maybe impossible to get more different styles and parts. Still, i'm looking forward for more stuffs from this, much better than the aging BSF editor.

(BTW, is GalCiv3 looking good? The second one set the bar so high...)

RandomnessInc

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Judgement thread give and receive comments on sprites
« Reply #4302 on: August 24, 2014, 07:37:35 AM »

Just as a personal experiment, I've "Tron-ed" a portion of the game just to see how it'll look like ;D

Behold! The Tr-Onslaught! *snicker*
Spoiler

[close]

Download link pls  :'(
May the fry be with you.

CrookedFruit

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4303 on: August 24, 2014, 09:29:40 AM »

Yeah, the GalCiv editor seems a very interesting way to cheaply create new ships. The Aesthetic isn't really starsector-esque but with some Photoshop on top of it that would very good. Or hell, for a total conversion maybe? My only gripe here is the black outline around the ship, can be easily get rid of by using a 0% opacity inner stroke though.

Spoiler
[close]

I don't know how the editor work so it's maybe impossible to get more different styles and parts. Still, i'm looking forward for more stuffs from this, much better than the aging BSF editor.

(BTW, is GalCiv3 looking good? The second one set the bar so high...)

Personally i like the black line around the ship i think it makes it look more striking.

The editor is intuitive, easy to use. They're are currently 4 races in the game and 4 more to be added each with a unique ship style. The game just entered beta so most the content and features aren't in yet or are disabled, but i think it's still worth buying as is especially while it's discounted on Steam.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #4304 on: August 26, 2014, 02:21:29 AM »

Back working on Scy, I'm trying to create a higher tier frigate:

I still think it lack a tiny bit of badassness to be a true killer. Maybe some good glowing parts will make up for it...
As for the weapons and systems, I'll keep them under wraps for now since I'm not sure how to code them.

Pages: 1 ... 285 286 [287] 288 289 ... 482