Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 268 269 [270] 271 272 ... 482

Author Topic: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]  (Read 2211038 times)

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
Re: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]
« Reply #4035 on: June 02, 2014, 11:57:33 AM »

Oh, sorry; I should have been more clear :)  I only meant that it won't feel cute when it's bristling with guns, is all :)
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4036 on: June 02, 2014, 12:27:40 PM »

I think I'm happier with this; the form isn't quite so jumbled :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Thule

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4037 on: June 02, 2014, 12:57:27 PM »

@xeno
Wow, nice to see those old sprites getting revamped, quite like it.

Made yet another update to the new ehrgeiz.
How does "Malmridd", "Orka" sound, any suggestions?
Spoiler
[close]

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4038 on: June 02, 2014, 01:07:40 PM »

I'm glad you don't feel I'm butchering them too badly.  Honestly, I just wish it hadn't taken the better part of a year and more to get to it, these guys and the yellow guys are still in my plans, however long it takes ::)

On the space sub- first off, love the concept, period.  Space subs are cool.  The pixel-work is solid; lovin' the little details and the form is clear.

About the only critique I have for this is that height differentiation might be improved a bit; the darkness to either side of the bridge area makes it feel a bit low; a stronger gradient there and a couple  of other little spots would help make the roundness of the main form pop better.  

Other than that, I'd like to see a smidgen of color here and there- maybe a blue hue for some little lights, perhaps laid out like portholes on an ocean liner, to give it a good sense of scale?  It feels a little small atm- IIRC I had the same issues with the Nautilus until I did the lights; that part took the better part of half an hour, because I found that asymmetry on the lights near the centerline greatly increased the sense of scale (mirroring on the sides was fine and saved time).

Nautilus, for reference:
Spoiler
[close]
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 01:10:57 PM by xenoargh »
Xeno's Mod Pack

MrDavidoff

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4039 on: June 02, 2014, 01:21:29 PM »

Hey guys, I would like to hear some of your ideas on the Omega sprite.
Spoiler
[close]

I did my best so far. But there are some areas of the ship, that Im not quite happy with

- the Hangars for example : they seem too "clean" at this mmt. Not really sure, what to do with them.
- then I would like to do something to the area behind the bridge superstructure - seems a bit flat aswel.

If you think of any art, that could be used or inspired from to "fix" these issues - gimme pls :)

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4040 on: June 02, 2014, 01:27:55 PM »

Maybe lower some plates on hangars, insert some lights OR remove small bits of them and make holes in it that way... -> so you can see runway under it.
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4041 on: June 02, 2014, 01:39:41 PM »

Ah, MrDavidoff... the amount of work that's gone into those hull panels at this point is quite impressive.  Props for sticking with it :)

Critique:
Spoiler
On the hangers: maybe "park" some fighters on the "runways" to establish the monster scale of it all and break things up some? 

The big rounded shapes also aren't casting quite enough shadow- a bit more depth would probably help there.

On the bridge... I think it's fair to say that the bridge area's probably the thing I would change the most.  It's really noisy and feels pretty flat atm.  It's not the forms or the specific greebles- it's how light is being handled.

Give it a better gradient, establish the heights and deal with the shadows... and I think it'll really start resolving itself in terms of form and look really cool :)
[close]
Xeno's Mod Pack

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4042 on: June 02, 2014, 05:17:25 PM »

OK, 5 different versions of the Gaian capship.  Any favorites?

Spoiler

[close]

Personally, I like the first, fourth and fifth ones best, but the third one has the size of typical SS battlewagons, whereas the other ones feel like big, bulky Cruisers, so I'm a little torn :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Nanao-kun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4043 on: June 02, 2014, 05:18:49 PM »

Fifth with the sturdier looking connections between the outer parts and the inner part of the first.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #4044 on: June 02, 2014, 05:44:44 PM »

I agree with Nanao-kun.

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4045 on: June 03, 2014, 12:24:42 AM »

I like the fourth, but I'm not convinced having a large vestigial piece of structure would look good from a gameplay perspective (i.e. sucking up reapers and the ship blowing up because of something ... unimportant)

So yeah, I'd go for fifth. I'd personally be tempted to try sucking in the outer nacelles, bringing them closer to the main hull, but you might lose some cool details by doing that.

Spoiler
[close]

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

Xalendi

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4046 on: June 03, 2014, 03:08:13 AM »

Just had this image of that ship flying around, sucking up the Reapers from Mass Effect.

"mmm....space calamari"

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4047 on: June 03, 2014, 03:27:51 AM »

Thule, i still like the old one but your newest version have definitely been improved, good job.

Xeno, mendonca pretty much nailed it. It is the one!

Xalendi

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4048 on: June 03, 2014, 07:59:54 AM »

Ok, think I've finally nailed down my style. I'm gonna stick to this style now. Don't care what happens. I could get 10,000x better. Sticking with this style. Fed up of redrawing ships.

Therefore, for your consideration, the first official ship of the Eloi Defence Force: The Bragi-class Scout Frigate

Spoiler

[close]

This ship comes complete with two forward facing dual-beam banks, a forward facing flux beam, and a rear point defence beam, pictured below in that order:

Spoiler

[close]

Thule

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4049 on: June 03, 2014, 09:52:08 AM »

@Helmut
I hear you, i still like the old sprite quite much but on the other hand it really looks old and worn out too.

@Xeno
I added some lights to the sides, and made the gradient a bit steeper. Better now?

The sprite is not done yet, but for now i let it rest, have to win a bit of a distance to it first.

Pages: 1 ... 268 269 [270] 271 272 ... 482