Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 482

Author Topic: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]  (Read 2210679 times)

Pelly

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]
« Reply #2130 on: August 24, 2013, 07:09:48 AM »

PELHAMDS! GO STUDY!
Im retaking the whole year boyo, so I will be redoing all the notes I took ~6 folders worth and studying then, why should I study for stuff I will be relearning? Or should I study for my second year which I am no longer going into? Hmm?
Anyway I AM studying, I have a course on advanced Mathematics that Im going through, and I am rewriting some of my notes so do not put a pointless comment on this board and instead post some criticism of peoples sprites e.g.

@Thule your sprite is almost there, just the bow part doesn't look completely there yet and the tailpipes on both sides        of the ship look like artifacts, so maybe darken them? Otherwise the ship looks very Iron Sky like, so Kudos :P.

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: August 24, 2013, 10:47:16 AM »

At first i saw that:

Spoiler
[close]

Still, very interesting shape for the TL. Do you have already an idea for that ship?

Pelmahds, i like the shape, while it still need works it reminds me a lot of sea-shells ships of DarkAlbino (your Drordaw is much better now btw, i look forward to see them in Corvus.)

MShadowy, your ship look glorious, as expected. If i have to say something, i think the front tip could have more colors on it. Unless of course if it's supposed to be a hardpoint.

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: August 24, 2013, 11:08:22 AM »

MShadowy, your ship look glorious, as expected. If i have to say something, i think the front tip could have more colors on it. Unless of course if it's supposed to be a hardpoint.

A hardpoint?  Don't be ridiculous, it's

Spoiler

Three.
[close]

Ravendarke

• Captain
  • Nemesis
    • View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: August 25, 2013, 08:44:30 AM »

Spoiler
[close]
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 08:53:29 AM by Ravendarke »

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: August 25, 2013, 09:34:50 AM »

Design as a whole looks great :)

My only critique is that the detail level seems a bit light for the size. 

It's not feeling huge- rather it feels like a smaller ship that's been blown up quite a bit. 

I think it needs a pixel-paint pass over all of the major surfaces, adding small greebles and lights to make the scale really feel right.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Ravendarke

• Captain
  • Nemesis
    • View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: August 25, 2013, 09:40:55 AM »

Design as a whole looks great :)

My only critique is that the detail level seems a bit light for the size.  

It's not feeling huge- rather it feels like a smaller ship that's been blown up quite a bit.  

I think it needs a pixel-paint pass over all of the major surfaces, adding small greebles and lights to make the scale really feel right.

Different building technique then are humans using, actually those greebles, connected parts are structural weaknesses, try find something for example about Germans attempt to build tank with top armor from pretty much one piece, ofc it didn´t worked coz of weight, but that isn´t issue in space. Also I am afraid it would be actually too chaotic, tested it, I can find my test branch some where maybe.. anyway, noted.

Looking at it.. I am starting to hate those lights on engines.. ou well, back to photoshop, this one needs some more polishing.

Btw i really wont greeble it, but I might split plates, making them look like more "nature like"
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 01:24:05 PM by Ravendarke »

Arumac

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: August 25, 2013, 03:28:46 PM »

Spoiler
[close]

Of the ships I've seen you make thusfar, I definitely feel this one's creation was more straightforward and less chaotic. I like the varying levels of the ship, the darker is obviously farther away, lighter is obviously closer, it gives it a larger feel. I also like the six brighter lights, I like their shapes and positioning. I like the reds that fan out over what I would imagine to be the engines. I don't like the teeth looking bits honestly, the rest of the ships outline is smooth with some minor fins, and then you have these weird teeth. I'm with Xeno however, I feel like it needs more smaller details to it to be honest, mostly in the center by the tubes, the arms aren't too empty. Overall very nice, not my cup of tea but I know quality and effort when I see it.

Ravendarke

• Captain
  • Nemesis
    • View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: August 25, 2013, 04:06:45 PM »

Spoiler
[close]

Of the ships I've seen you make thusfar, I definitely feel this one's creation was more straightforward and less chaotic.

Just fyi, each of them was pretty straight forward, first had some experimenting around, but outcome was pretty much exactly as planed, second ship (Reaper) is actually exactly according to original sketch and took least time to create.

TheHappyFace

• Admiral
  • The critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: August 26, 2013, 01:09:26 AM »

@Ravendarke
Somehow you managed to make the ship resemble Okim's style yet yours has this realistic lighting.

Usually I am not fond of harsh lining ,but in this case I think you made the right choice.
without the lining the ship would get too chaotic.

personally I prefer to have at least two different colours on a ship, but besides that I have nothing to comment.
gratz it looks great!
Fractalsoftworks limited edition ban hammer.

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: August 26, 2013, 08:24:57 AM »

man, those ships are gorgeous its insane

Ravendarke

• Captain
  • Nemesis
    • View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: August 26, 2013, 06:32:16 PM »

Seraphim mk. I

One evening of work, from sketch to this, I might do some polishing tomorrow. Maybe I should said something about it, well: It´s ship created by Try-Tachyon in cooporation with one religion cult (which has acces to best scientists in sector). They have used technology and materials based on Void. While not nearly as strong as any Void ship it levels a battlefield a bit. Ships is not going to be accessible to players until implementation of blueprints and way how to research, unlock, and built it. Weapon includes animated inbuilt energy projectile weapon (two of them, those "lines" in front, I will probably upload animation tomorrow).

Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler just for transparent .png, black background wasn´t ideal, tho keep in mind that backgrounds in SC are far from black :)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 07:24:23 PM by Ravendarke »

Pelly

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: August 26, 2013, 08:22:55 PM »

@Ravendarke

That is my ship.

Mine.

(Anyway, 1 improvement darken the "metal" greeble more, or make different parts have more depth, thats it. Otherwise I will have that as my ship. Seriously I will have to change your mod files to have that commanded by me, well The Commissar)

Ocho

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: August 26, 2013, 10:08:51 PM »

First time spriting in a good while and for a rough draft I don't think it's terrible, if a bit busy looking. Shading obviously needs work but I want to hear what y'all have to say before I continue.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: August 27, 2013, 12:01:40 AM »

Looks pretty cool there Ocho, digging the style

Shading perhaps needs work on the back to match the test. Other than that, good work :)
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

Ravendarke

• Captain
  • Nemesis
    • View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: August 27, 2013, 02:35:23 AM »

@Ravendarke

That is my ship.

Mine.

Yeah I had plan to plosih that part (just add little bit more shadows between some of those parts, it will add more depth, but I really want to keep it "silver"), and yes, this ship is planned to be flyable by players... reward for fighting void.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 02:38:38 AM by Ravendarke »
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 482