Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 482

Author Topic: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]  (Read 2210702 times)

MrDavidoff

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]
« Reply #2115 on: August 22, 2013, 08:18:58 AM »

The "Hadron" Cruiser-sized Carrier from Tritachyon
Spoiler

[close]

I loved the idea behind that kitbash, would you mind, if i worked on it further and use it for my mod at some point?

Spoiler
[close]

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: August 22, 2013, 10:20:35 AM »

@MSHadowy:  As usual, I love the design elements :)

In terms of critique, I think it needs more contrast; perhaps do some tweaks with Curves to get the feeling of depth a bit stronger?  Also, I don't like the standard gray weapon positions on your hulls, they stand out way too much.

@Mendonca:

Maybe like this?

Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: August 22, 2013, 10:30:19 AM »

Thats came out really well xeno, gives out a feeling of a 8bit ship with alot more detail

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: August 22, 2013, 10:36:17 AM »

... anyway, did some work on the Tartarus, decided the hull seemed a bit plain, and am thinking that I may need to give this some more thought.  Blah.

Spoiler

Not looking so hot right now.
[close]

So, here's my thoughts.  I like the overall design, but it is missing some zing.  For comparison, take a look at your Elysium sprite - the extra fine details make a huge difference.  As an added bonus, having those silver metal-y bits makes the standard grey weapon mounts fit in better - right now, they're the only silver on the hull, and that makes them look out of place.

I'd also take a look at the sections I've outlined in red in the attached image - I'd consider making all of those similar structures, where there's a hole in the shell and some bubble of underlying structure coming to the surface; I'd also seriously consider putting in some silvery bits rather than the solid brown dome of the back one.  This could also be a good place to attach ship system glows; for example, if the Tartarus gets maneuvering jets, these might be places to put those extra engine glows.

Edit: detached the image; no need to leave it there until some mod has to come by and clean up un-needed attached files.  It served its purpose.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 02:53:04 PM by Wyvern »
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: August 22, 2013, 10:37:46 AM »

@silentstormpt:  I really didn't do much there, the core design's great :)

The only big change was getting the weapon positions to match the hull better and building some missile launcher positions that don't look copy-pasted, which really helps a lot.  Detailing that kind of thing can really convey a lot of complexity and scale, and it's not hard to do :)

I had suggested it earlier, thought I'd show how it helps :)
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: August 22, 2013, 10:57:53 AM »

@silentstormpt:  I really didn't do much there, the core design's great :)

The only big change was getting the weapon positions to match the hull better and building some missile launcher positions that don't look copy-pasted, which really helps a lot.  Detailing that kind of thing can really convey a lot of complexity and scale, and it's not hard to do :)

I had suggested it earlier, thought I'd show how it helps :)

Looks great, like really great - and I had tried to incorporate your comments :D

Those green lights - a tiny thing but makes the sprite look twice as 'big'. Thank you sir!

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: August 22, 2013, 12:01:34 PM »

... anyway, did some work on the Tartarus, decided the hull seemed a bit plain, and am thinking that I may need to give this some more thought.  Blah.

Spoiler

Not looking so hot right now.
[close]

So, here's my thoughts.  I like the overall design, but it is missing some zing.  For comparison, take a look at your Elysium sprite - the extra fine details make a huge difference.  As an added bonus, having those silver metal-y bits makes the standard grey weapon mounts fit in better - right now, they're the only silver on the hull, and that makes them look out of place.

I'd also take a look at the sections I've outlined in red in the attached image - I'd consider making all of those similar structures, where there's a hole in the shell and some bubble of underlying structure coming to the surface; I'd also seriously consider putting in some silvery bits rather than the solid brown dome of the back one.  This could also be a good place to attach ship system glows; for example, if the Tartarus gets maneuvering jets, these might be places to put those extra engine glows.

At first i thought that the picture of the ship in Wyvern post was some kind of fancy electric guitar...

I like the new Tartarus even though it is still a bit "naked". But with Wyvern's advice, i'm sure you'll make us something gorgeous. Otherwise i like the overall shape.

Mendonca, the pit-bull redesign is very good. The xenoargh's modification look pretty interesting too, with theses lights it truly feel like a "living" ship with all its crew living inside.

DarkAlbino, my favorite is without a doubt the Vonol destroyer. I really like that "hexed" front armor, even if the lightning seems a bit off (light is supposed to come from the front for Vanilla ships i think). The bottom might need some details as well but overall it's still pretty good.

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: August 22, 2013, 02:19:28 PM »

Well, following Wyverns advice (I'll probably end up following Mendonca's advice to do up my own turret mounts sooner or later) I think I've got the Tartarus pretty much done.  I could probably stand to nudge the turret mounts a few pixels further away from each other, as well as the medium missile mounts - the weapons are just a wee bit too compressed into each other.

Spoiler
[close]

Many thanks to you all for the helpful advice.

Ravendarke

• Captain
  • Nemesis
    • View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: August 22, 2013, 02:22:34 PM »

Well, following Wyverns advice (I'll probably end up following Mendonca's advice to do up my own turret mounts sooner or later) I think I've got the Tartarus pretty much done.  I could probably stand to nudge the turret mounts a few pixels further away from each other, as well as the medium missile mounts - the weapons are just a wee bit too compressed into each other.

Spoiler
[close]

Many thanks to you all for the helpful advice.

Positions of mounts are ok.. or will be ok if you make your own turret mounts.

Thule

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: August 22, 2013, 03:07:33 PM »

@MsShadowy As good as your spriting was before, you got even better. Great new addition.

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2125 on: August 22, 2013, 04:12:49 PM »

@MsShadowy As good as your spriting was before, you got even better. Great new addition.

yeah, S.H.I ships are incredible now, its almost unbelieveable you havent made your own turret mounts yet :P

DarkAlbino

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: August 23, 2013, 03:14:25 AM »

rework of the "Drordaw"
Spoiler
[close]

"Cyusk" Destroyer
Spoiler
[close]

"Taom" Missile Frigate
Spoiler
[close]

edit:

I loved the idea behind that kitbash, would you mind, if i worked on it further and use it for my mod at some point?

@ mr.d
go on and feel free to take the "hadron"

oh.. and here is a in-game-shot of the "Taom"
Spoiler
[close]

« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 05:06:00 AM by DarkAlbino »

Thule

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: August 23, 2013, 05:21:35 PM »

Early draft for a thule ship again i guess, and as always not sure of the outcome.
Heavy inspiration was used: http://blueraincz.deviantart.com/art/34568-189453586

Spoiler
[close]

Pelly

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: August 23, 2013, 05:27:29 PM »

First Ship I have drawn in a few months - not finished yet: more depth, weapon mounts and details (maybe colour dampening?)

Spoiler
Aquamarine:
[close]

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: August 24, 2013, 06:40:17 AM »

PELHAMDS! GO STUDY!
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 482