Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 482

Author Topic: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]  (Read 2222898 times)

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
Re: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]
« Reply #1890 on: July 21, 2013, 06:16:28 PM »

Here is a naval destroyer modified for space. Or something like that. :p

Open to ANY criticism.

maximilianyuen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: July 21, 2013, 11:30:47 PM »

Here we can see a typical Office Destroyer.

Spoiler

1.) Gas operated Pencil Stump launcher tubes

2.) ink-injection Thumbtack Torpedo pen

3.) Powerful Eraser turret

The ship is steam-powered, of course, by burning pencil chips.
[close]

Updated spoiler.  ;)

This one is EPIC XD
Fleet construction in progress.

TheHappyFace

• Admiral
  • The critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: July 22, 2013, 01:58:03 AM »

@Gotcha
I dont like the kitbashes. It is too easy to see what they are build out of.
Try cutting the ships into more pieces and tweak colours and details.
The other ships look neat but due to there smooth style they don't fit the starsector theme.
If modded I would recommend making it a total conversion.

@Focer360
More shading, less lining, more detail, more colors :3.
If this is a little too general.
I advice you to keep practising.
take a closer look at the vanilla ships and read some of the guides posted here.

@Erick Doe
I think many artists would kill for your creativity.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 01:59:35 AM by TheHappyFace »
Fractalsoftworks limited edition ban hammer.

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #1893 on: July 22, 2013, 05:03:35 AM »

@TheHappyFace: Yeah, you're right. I should probably spend time on making my other factions fit better.
Maybe someone else can use that. Just remember to credit Kalthaniell. :)

Edit: I am trying to apply some textures to my Bushi ships. I've also changed the turret mounts.
I'm wondering, would anyone know if Photoshop has an option to darken/remove those glowy bits?
Or will I have to try by hand?  :P
Spoiler
[close]
Edit2: Never mind, I tried it by hand and it actually looks much better! (I think.)

@Foxer360: Maybe you can make the communications tower/bridge stick out more?
Also, I would remove some small turret mounts and replace them with medium ones.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 08:10:53 AM by Gotcha! »

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: July 22, 2013, 12:23:54 PM »

Way better.

maximilianyuen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: July 22, 2013, 08:25:11 PM »

@TheHappyFace: Yeah, you're right. I should probably spend time on making my other factions fit better.
Maybe someone else can use that. Just remember to credit Kalthaniell. :)

Edit: I am trying to apply some textures to my Bushi ships. I've also changed the turret mounts.
I'm wondering, would anyone know if Photoshop has an option to darken/remove those glowy bits?
Or will I have to try by hand?  :P
Spoiler
[close]
Edit2: Never mind, I tried it by hand and it actually looks much better! (I think.)

@Foxer360: Maybe you can make the communications tower/bridge stick out more?
Also, I would remove some small turret mounts and replace them with medium ones.

I believe you can just select the ctrl select the ship, and -1 or -2 pixel from selection to remove the glow easily :)

very cool looking ship now it becomes btw
especially the light shading at the rear that suggest the vertical curve line flow is fantastic

just the spec/highlight/reflection is a bit over, like it's a coating or so.
could do a pattern/texture multiply over the highlight or simply dim a bit?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 08:28:55 PM by maximilianyuen »

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: July 22, 2013, 08:52:51 PM »

The Hermes; the Independent answer to the Tempest.

Art by David, with a lot of little stuff by me :)

Oh, and... first off, really cool stuff I see happened while I was on vacation!  I made a huge number of drawings; I don't suppose anybody wants to see them raw?  I have no idea how long it will take me to get around to painting them, I must have done 20+ designs with the help of a small person of my acquaintance :)

@Foxer360:  The basic design is fine, but the ship has ended up feeling very flat, due to a lack of shading and lighting.  The turret spots look really out of place; they're much brighter than the rest of the hull and just don't fit very well.  I'm tempted to do a fix-up to show how it could be fixed, but I'm a bit busy atm and the Hermes is as much screwing around as I'm permitted this evening :)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 09:02:26 PM by xenoargh »
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

maximilianyuen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: July 22, 2013, 09:05:06 PM »

The Hermes; the Independent answer to the Tempest.

Art by David, with a lot of little stuff by me :)

Oh, and... first off, really cool stuff I see happened while I was on vacation!  I made a huge number of drawings; I don't suppose anybody wants to see them raw?  I have no idea how long it will take me to get around to painting them, I must have done 20+ designs with the help of a small person of my acquaintance :)

@Foxer360:  The basic design is fine, but the ship has ended up feeling very flat, due to a lack of shading and lighting.  The turret spots look really out of place; they're much brighter than the rest of the hull and just don't fit very well.  I'm tempted to do a fix-up to show how it could be fixed, but I'm a bit busy atm and the Hermes is as much screwing around as I'm permitted this evening :)

I want! no one can blame you when its in spoilers tag :P

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: July 22, 2013, 09:11:15 PM »

Well... maybe small versions, big if anybody actually wants to take a swing at them?  I don't suppose anybody will complain then, it'll only be a couple of hundred KB.

<rummages through scans>

OK, here are the small versions of the ones I'd like to show atm.  I left out a couple of weaker drawings and a couple I think I'll do for sure.  I did a lot of whacky stuff; I was on vacation with family and various children were around and it was a fun thing to do when I wasn't fishing or playing cards :)

If anybody wants any of these at original resolution to try and paint them up, PM me and I'll shoot you a link.  Given how busy I am with other stuff atm, it may be quite some time before I can get these done myself but I'll try and work through them as I can :)

Spoiler

This first one's extra-weird.  When I went on vacation, I gave my favorite smallish person an idea for a theme; North-Western Native American art (totem animals, spirit carvings and the like).  The basic idea for the faction was that they were some sort of Romantic culture obsessed with living their bizarre fantasies about the Old Earth lifestyle before the Domain's technology- kind of the hipster version of the Luddites.  Due to lack of reliable Internet access (and resulting lack of reference images) this didn't get any further than this design.

One of several explorations of flying-wing designs, ranging from capital ships to destroyers.  Pirate, Tri-Tach, Hegemony.

More flying-wings.  Glaug, Gearheads (more on them further down), Independents

A little sketch I drew as a detail of a station concept turned into this design- sort of a cleaned-up militarized Lasher.  The pods on both winglets are big, built-in rocket launchers of some kind.  Four turret stations round out the armament.

For a while now, I've wanted to play around with AWACs concepts and various ways to use sensor warfare in the Starsector engine to allow for more long-range planning and tactical play.  This was a stab at a CCC vessel, a fairly lightly-armed Destroyer with a long-range scanner to provide a fleet detachment with long-range sensor capabilities.

The Glaug are kind of fun and alien, but lack something really horrifyingly mothership-like to strike terror into the hearts of experienced players.  This concept is for a monitor-type vessel- fairly lightly armed (light turrets on those big spines, but no heavies or long-range missiles) and slow, but with really terrifying levels of protection and self-healing bio-armor and some sort of light, nasty bio-drones.

An experiment with ratios.  All I did with these was change ratios of the forms and then ask people which ones were their favorite.  Interestingly, people split evenly on two of the variants.

A small person of my acquaintance had the brilliant idea of a theme based on "mechanical stuff like gears and... stuff".  Anyhow, we made up a faction called the Gearheads based on the first sketches that were made.  The idea behind the Gearheads is that they're obsessed with re-learning all of the ancient archeo-tech from scratch, and they incorporate gears and giant lightbulbs into their ships as a symbol of how they've re-mastered basic concepts, like how electricity can be generated and how to transmit mechanical energy.  In the dystopian future of Starsector, they make a good foil for the Luddites.  Anyhow, these are a few of the sketches we made of the ideas.

A Really Fricking Huge Battleship, Or Something.  Wanted something that felt large, ponderous, and more Independent than Tri-Tach / Hegemony; something in that mid-tech range that would feel like some enormous leviathon from the depths of space.

A couple of oddball designs; the first was just me playing around with insectile concepts and the second is an enormous floating space cannon designed to support fleets during major engagements- the little widgets on the inside of the gap are accelerator magnets or something.

A fragment of an idea that went south; I scanned it, hated it about as much as I did after I drew it, cut it a bit and this thing emerged.  I think it might actually be pretty nice if it had a decent central cockpit tower design....

[close]
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 09:53:43 PM by xenoargh »
Xeno's Mod Pack

maximilianyuen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: July 22, 2013, 11:18:52 PM »

Well... maybe small versions, big if anybody actually wants to take a swing at them?  I don't suppose anybody will complain then, it'll only be a couple of hundred KB.

<rummages through scans>

OK, here are the small versions of the ones I'd like to show atm.  I left out a couple of weaker drawings and a couple I think I'll do for sure.  I did a lot of whacky stuff; I was on vacation with family and various children were around and it was a fun thing to do when I wasn't fishing or playing cards :)

If anybody wants any of these at original resolution to try and paint them up, PM me and I'll shoot you a link.  Given how busy I am with other stuff atm, it may be quite some time before I can get these done myself but I'll try and work through them as I can :)

Spoiler

This first one's extra-weird.  When I went on vacation, I gave my favorite smallish person an idea for a theme; North-Western Native American art (totem animals, spirit carvings and the like).  The basic idea for the faction was that they were some sort of Romantic culture obsessed with living their bizarre fantasies about the Old Earth lifestyle before the Domain's technology- kind of the hipster version of the Luddites.  Due to lack of reliable Internet access (and resulting lack of reference images) this didn't get any further than this design.

One of several explorations of flying-wing designs, ranging from capital ships to destroyers.  Pirate, Tri-Tach, Hegemony.

More flying-wings.  Glaug, Gearheads (more on them further down), Independents

A little sketch I drew as a detail of a station concept turned into this design- sort of a cleaned-up militarized Lasher.  The pods on both winglets are big, built-in rocket launchers of some kind.  Four turret stations round out the armament.

For a while now, I've wanted to play around with AWACs concepts and various ways to use sensor warfare in the Starsector engine to allow for more long-range planning and tactical play.  This was a stab at a CCC vessel, a fairly lightly-armed Destroyer with a long-range scanner to provide a fleet detachment with long-range sensor capabilities.

The Glaug are kind of fun and alien, but lack something really horrifyingly mothership-like to strike terror into the hearts of experienced players.  This concept is for a monitor-type vessel- fairly lightly armed (light turrets on those big spines, but no heavies or long-range missiles) and slow, but with really terrifying levels of protection and self-healing bio-armor and some sort of light, nasty bio-drones.

An experiment with ratios.  All I did with these was change ratios of the forms and then ask people which ones were their favorite.  Interestingly, people split evenly on two of the variants.

A small person of my acquaintance had the brilliant idea of a theme based on "mechanical stuff like gears and... stuff".  Anyhow, we made up a faction called the Gearheads based on the first sketches that were made.  The idea behind the Gearheads is that they're obsessed with re-learning all of the ancient archeo-tech from scratch, and they incorporate gears and giant lightbulbs into their ships as a symbol of how they've re-mastered basic concepts, like how electricity can be generated and how to transmit mechanical energy.  In the dystopian future of Starsector, they make a good foil for the Luddites.  Anyhow, these are a few of the sketches we made of the ideas.

A Really Fricking Huge Battleship, Or Something.  Wanted something that felt large, ponderous, and more Independent than Tri-Tach / Hegemony; something in that mid-tech range that would feel like some enormous leviathon from the depths of space.

A couple of oddball designs; the first was just me playing around with insectile concepts and the second is an enormous floating space cannon designed to support fleets during major engagements- the little widgets on the inside of the gap are accelerator magnets or something.

A fragment of an idea that went south; I scanned it, hated it about as much as I did after I drew it, cut it a bit and this thing emerged.  I think it might actually be pretty nice if it had a decent central cockpit tower design....

[close]

love the shape of the middle one is second pic and the style of the bottom one is third pic.

reminds me of the airship in the Japan animation Castle in the Sky

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1900 on: July 23, 2013, 12:22:00 AM »

Bottom one in third pic is a reference to Nausicaa's aircraft designs; couldn't help it, I'm a big fan of Miyazaki ;)

Oh, and I saw the whole gunship theme thing a couple of pages back, so here's a gunship, the Spector VIII.  Two medium missile racks, built-in weapon in the nose, comes with Airwolf .

Based on Nanostrike's Cleaver design, very very loosely re-interpreted :)

« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 12:26:27 AM by xenoargh »
Xeno's Mod Pack

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: July 23, 2013, 06:45:20 AM »

xenoargh, that's some really good looking content. Are you coding it into the game as well?

maximilianyuen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: July 23, 2013, 08:10:01 AM »

The Base of Valkyria's special order, no deco and turret mounts yet, but the hull is basically this, only bigger ;D

Spoiler

[close]

this weekend will try to make it a bit more vanilla style...if i can, no promise here  :'(

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: July 23, 2013, 09:24:58 AM »

Getting that pixel-painted is going to be quite the project, but should be really satisfying!

@Uomoz:  Yeah, I made that Vacuum mod, and that's where this stuff ends up, along with other things :)

If you're looking for a coding project, let me know, I was going to try and find time to build a couple of big features before 0.6a but I suspect Alex will beat me to the punch :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: July 23, 2013, 10:06:34 AM »

:o That ship is amazing! (Give it a lick! Mmm, tastes just like raisins!) A Neutrino Unsung outfitted with 6 Interstellar Federation Large Hadron Colliders will be like a mouse with 6 peashooters against an elephant! (The elephant has laser cannon eyes though.)

Anyways, it looks great. However I think it is a bit flat looking, so a bit more shading would really flesh out its presence in the battlefield.

Good luck!
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 482