Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 482

Author Topic: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]  (Read 2210917 times)

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]
« Reply #1770 on: July 07, 2013, 06:24:22 PM »

Damn your ship animations are gorgeous Thule! Even though i think your piston animation could be a little faster.

And for your new ship, i like those six balls thingies, it make me think of some kind of mine layer.

maximilianyuen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: July 07, 2013, 10:53:36 PM »

I am not sure which side is the front myself ;)
Buuuuut i tend to the engine idea, meh let's see what it's going to be.

Added some decorative antenna lights to the Forsser-class Cruiser

Spoiler
[close]

please pretty please point me the tutorial that could do the animated light :)
Fleet construction in progress.

maximilianyuen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: July 07, 2013, 10:56:27 PM »

Can you teach me this speed painting as well?
Really dig the style and looks!
Hmm.  Maybe I can find some time to document this?  It's really pretty easy, and faster than the method I used before (scanned line drawings).  I'll see what I can do.

Anyhow, got bored last night, built a Phase Sub.  The AI and some other details I wanted haven't quite worked out yet, but it'll come together.

Behold the Nautilus:

i will give it 10/10 if it's completed. Now that it's incomplete I can only give you 5/5.  ;D
can't wait to see what it will be when you perfected it.

maximilianyuen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: July 07, 2013, 10:58:06 PM »

Spoiler
[close]

Terran Federation Ares Class Mobile Infantry Small Transport Ship?
Please?

love to see 3D stuff, esp here  ;D
but it's lacking detail for one thing, rendering could be better too. maybe you can render a AO or lineart version if it's not yet completed to let people get a better look?

maximilianyuen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: July 07, 2013, 11:03:51 PM »

A little (un)intrusive progress report.

sorry large picture(but it's large ship anyway :P)

Freshly outline the basic of the tail section, including heat exchange module(or what ValkyriaL would like it to be) as well as the gates for fighter deck, engine(unfinished, will add pipes at least) and it will be some sort of civilian structure between the middle gap(not visible in top down view):
Spoiler
[close]

The angled look of the lateral engine
Spoiler
[close]

Front angled look of older version:
Spoiler
[close]

progress pretty well so far, but i have no confident to make it half as good when it's to be flatten in starfarer style, yet ;D
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 11:07:36 PM by maximilianyuen »

TheHappyFace

• Admiral
  • The critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: July 08, 2013, 01:05:30 AM »

@maximilianyuen
I am confident that it will turn out nicely although I fear a lot of details will be lost in the pixel art.
If I were you I would try to enlarge some of the details like the lights ,so they wont get lost.
Also maybe think about adding some extra colour to your ship just to accentuate the shapes.
hope you have use to this. remember that this brightness level might cover up a lot of details.
Fractalsoftworks limited edition ban hammer.

Ravendarke

• Captain
  • Nemesis
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: July 08, 2013, 01:44:43 AM »

Word of advice, stop using AO maps as base detail definition from 3d to 2d, use Dirt map or Carving map.

maximilianyuen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: July 08, 2013, 06:45:15 AM »

@maximilianyuen
I am confident that it will turn out nicely although I fear a lot of details will be lost in the pixel art.
If I were you I would try to enlarge some of the details like the lights ,so they wont get lost.
Also maybe think about adding some extra colour to your ship just to accentuate the shapes.
hope you have use to this. remember that this brightness level might cover up a lot of details.

yup, i am pretty sure that changes will need to be made when render for the top down view..but until then :)

maximilianyuen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: July 08, 2013, 07:03:39 AM »

Word of advice, stop using AO maps as base detail definition from 3d to 2d, use Dirt map or Carving map.

would really appreciate if you could be more elaborate...

not really a newbie in 3D but even with google still can't make sure what's Carving map.

For the dirt map, at least in my 3d software Cinema4d was replaced by AO shader completely so not an option...

what's the problem of using AO map actually?

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: July 08, 2013, 08:57:43 AM »

@Maximilianyen:

i will give it 10/10 if it's completed. Now that it's incomplete I can only give you 5/5.
It's functional right now, just not quite how I wanted it to operate.  I think I may have to wait until 1.6 is released to do certain things, but we'll see.

I don't know what "carving map" means, either.  I think he's referring to AO derived from the normal map or a value derived from relative heights? 

Anyhow, there's nothing wrong with using AO to build light values and pick out details; but as I've shown you with earlier examples, it takes a great deal of post-work to get the finer details rendered nicely.  There just isn't any real substitute for doing the final post by hand, if you want good results.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: July 08, 2013, 11:32:20 AM »

Now it only needs that front to open animation and fires a huge laser ala Macross Cannon

Ravendarke

• Captain
  • Nemesis
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: July 08, 2013, 11:59:31 AM »

would really appreciate if you could be more elaborate...

not really a newbie in 3D but even with google still can't make sure what's Carving map.

For the dirt map, at least in my 3d software Cinema4d was replaced by AO shader completely so not an option...

what's the problem of using AO map actually?

Carvint, also Cavity map.

About AO vs Dirty map, even with same search distance setting Dirty map is less affected by distant parts, whole outcome of small details is cleaner and it is better to manage. Also they are tend to be shaper and for our purpose mostly better with same sample rate.

http://s8.postimg.org/r623jrec4/TESTResult.jpg

First is Dirty + diffuse combined, last is dirt itself, 3D is AO.

Also it is possible to get Final Render for Cinema 4D.. or if you prefer Vray for any reason that could be way too, both could help with this.

But ofc, if you are happy with AO and results, why not, just sharing my opinion.

I don´t want to flood this thread, so for more info PM me.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 01:53:00 PM by Ravendarke »

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: July 08, 2013, 05:27:53 PM »

OK, I knew that as a cavity map

Cavity maps are basically just differences in depth comparing one surface texel to another.  Usually we render them to a texture, but in Max you can render with a shader that gives you the object from any particular POV with the results, suitable for post. 

They're pretty useful for things like this where you want extra deep contrasts to highlight geometry. 

I think AO can work pretty well, so long as it's kept tight and dark and you use enough rays to get a good result, but there will be differences because of the way the geometry's being treated; a cavity map's going to give you the relative depth, whereas AO's dealing with the absence of light.  I can see why it'd be pretty useful for this kind of workflow.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Ravendarke

• Captain
  • Nemesis
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: July 09, 2013, 12:09:48 AM »

well Dirt map is still bit different from cavity map, for most render engines it give "sharpened edge", in other word it outline other side of edge then where the most of dirt is. For better understanding what I mean I suggest you to check next image, left is AO map, second is inverted Dirt map, they both had basicly same search distance and sample rate:

Spoiler
[close]

Before someone mention it, nope, if base color for AO would be grey, then result wouldn´t be anywhere near dirt map either, it wouldn´t give

In final render I wasn´t able to render cavity map (first version of workflow included Z-brush, which is able to do so, but in the end it was just overkill for this resolution). So in order to get Z-depth for details and even for whole I used Z-buffer pass, later combined with rest.

I really don´t want to flood this topic, and I would like to ask you to use my "dock":

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=6373.0 for more questions and discussion about 3D to 2D technique.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 12:18:32 AM by Ravendarke »

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: July 09, 2013, 05:53:15 AM »

I hope we'll see very soon a top version of this one maximilianyuen. With all his light it must look gorgeous.

Ok so i took Thule and TheHappyFace's advises. I tried to give a bit more color to my ships. Sure it is still very very brown but i think i improved it a bit.

Comparison with the new and old one.

Spoiler
[close]

Here i added some rust, some "warpaint" and tried to make the tubes and stuffs stand out a bit more.

Oh and BTW, i forgot the Afflictor.

Spoiler
[close]

Here too i tried to give more different tones of brown and gray. With some hint of red.

I also would have liked to add some more shading as THF said. However i'm not very good at it and it looked ugly, still need to experiment more.
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 482