Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 482

Author Topic: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]  (Read 2223345 times)

ThePinkSpartan

• Ensign
  • Give me the answer and I'll work it out from there
    • View Profile
Re: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]
« Reply #1710 on: June 20, 2013, 12:54:22 PM »

My first ever attempt at making a sprite so I suppose it's a bit scrubby. Lil' bit painted lil' bit using some of the game assets. Looking for improvement advice and I need help with actually implementing it in the game too ;)

Cheers

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: June 20, 2013, 01:12:30 PM »

My first ever attempt at making a sprite so I suppose it's a bit scrubby. Lil' bit painted lil' bit using some of the game assets. Looking for improvement advice and I need help with actually implementing it in the game too ;)

Cheers

trust me, for a first attempt, its VERY good.
compared to MY first attempt at least (hint : it was aweful)

Arumac

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: June 20, 2013, 05:03:55 PM »

Cheers

It's really not bad for a first attempt. Just go further with it in all honesty. Add more details. The lines in the top part look like cracks, I'm assuming they're supposed to be metal plate details or something like that. I would honestly add more to those, maybe make the 50% opacity or something like that. I'd then add shadows and highlights around them (To add depth). There's a couple more things I personally would do, but I don't want to say too much like I normally do.

The end on a positive note, the ship looks good for a first try.

ThePinkSpartan

• Ensign
  • Give me the answer and I'll work it out from there
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: June 20, 2013, 10:24:18 PM »

It's really not bad for a first attempt. Just go further with it in all honesty. Add more details. The lines in the top part look like cracks, I'm assuming they're supposed to be metal plate details or something like that. I would honestly add more to those, maybe make the 50% opacity or something like that. I'd then add shadows and highlights around them (To add depth). There's a couple more things I personally would do, but I don't want to say too much like I normally do.

The lines in the blue tank are cracks, yup. The whole ship's kinda going with the 'corroded' theme, even if it is just an excuse for it to not be perfect :P
I'll add some more details to it, see how it goes. Happy to have all the feedback I can get, keep it coming :)

maximilianyuen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: June 21, 2013, 11:12:58 AM »

The lines in the blue tank are cracks, yup. The whole ship's kinda going with the 'corroded' theme, even if it is just an excuse for it to not be perfect :P
I'll add some more details to it, see how it goes. Happy to have all the feedback I can get, keep it coming :)

what's your sig about?

btw you will soon(TM) get a PM from Alex about the sig picture size exceeding 100px :)
Fleet construction in progress.

Pelly

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: June 22, 2013, 02:31:13 AM »

btw you will soon(TM) get a PM from Alex about the sig picture size exceeding 100px :)

.....look at my sig that a little over 100px and no pm

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #1716 on: June 22, 2013, 05:57:48 AM »

Gratuitous Space Battles ships look pretty good in Starsector imho. :D

Spoiler
[close]

theSONY

• Admiral
  • Not a single Flux given
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: June 22, 2013, 06:11:10 AM »

yes they do but i think they need a bit of resize for a better fit to the game   
-the ABOMINATION - in progress

TheHappyFace

• Admiral
  • The critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: June 22, 2013, 06:20:38 AM »

.....look at my sig that a little over 100px and no pm

well even without pm I still hope you and others with a large sig adjust it for the good of all : P.
Its a little annoying seeing a page containing more signature than actual text.
Fractalsoftworks limited edition ban hammer.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: June 24, 2013, 08:53:42 AM »

Gratuitous Space Battles ships look pretty good in Starsector imho.
While the ships are certainly cool... I'm not sure that's a great idea; like a lot of projects where people are 'borrowing' other people's IP, but in this case, it's a game that's not that distant from Starsector. 

You might want to talk to the guys who made that game about this and make sure they aren't going to go after you (or, more importantly, Alex) over using their artwork in a Starsector mod.  Better safe than sorry, hey?
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #1720 on: June 24, 2013, 02:59:08 PM »

Was certainly planning on asking permission if I'd release a mod with these. Although they could not get anything from the plucked chicken that is me, the constant hammering on my door by lawyers and bailiffs would disturb my nightly rest. ;)

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: June 24, 2013, 04:33:43 PM »

Actually, i don't think you need to ask the permission to Positech games. Just put in your mod the ususal "all trademarks are the property of their respective owners" and it should be ok. There is already a mod (probably outdated) integrating one of the GSB faction and the author didn't seems to had legal issues for this.

IceXuick

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: June 25, 2013, 03:07:07 AM »

Tried out another method to speed-paint ships from scratch tonight, so here's the Maxim:

Can you teach me this speed painting as well?
Really dig the style and looks!

NITROtbomb

• Commander
  • I like Mah glass cannon ships :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: June 25, 2013, 09:26:15 PM »

This is something that has taken me ages to try and make but, alas i am stuck.
I cannot get the back section to work anything i have tried to add to it has not worked, i am also not happy with the engines.

Spoiler

ps. the blank white areas
[close]
Suggestions would be appreciated  ;D

EDIT: come to think of it i dont like the kitbashed bridge in the middle either
Dancing and playing games, how does that work.. well YOU tell me!

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: June 26, 2013, 04:39:36 PM »

Can you teach me this speed painting as well?
Really dig the style and looks!
Hmm.  Maybe I can find some time to document this?  It's really pretty easy, and faster than the method I used before (scanned line drawings).  I'll see what I can do.

Anyhow, got bored last night, built a Phase Sub.  The AI and some other details I wanted haven't quite worked out yet, but it'll come together.

Behold the Nautilus:

Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 482