Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 482

Author Topic: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]  (Read 2224013 times)

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]
« Reply #1695 on: June 18, 2013, 06:15:22 PM »

more of a "lol, he did it again"
i remember that huge ass ship you did that was so big you could see it with the naked eye on the map lol :P

but im saying its a huge ass ship as far as "this-ship-is-still-reasonable-enough-for-gameplay" goes  ;D

TheHappyFace

• Admiral
  • The critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: June 19, 2013, 12:11:19 AM »

probaply only playable for people with a big screen x).
but indeed it looks really good.
hope to see a lot more creative stuff added to the ship!
...maybe some color ;)...
Fractalsoftworks limited edition ban hammer.

maximilianyuen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: June 19, 2013, 07:25:56 AM »

I guess there are a few guys wondering "What the hell is Azmodaeus?" Its a ship i requested from Maxi which he has been working on for the past month or 2.

Currently, it only exist in 3D, and is far from complete, but that doesn't make it any less impressive, it looks like this. (Huge image, beware.) Do not click if you want to see Azmo only When maxi Unveils it.
Spoiler
[close]

to get some kind of size perspective, the ship is 1835 meters long and 1024 meters wide. which means almost 3 times the size of a Vatican Mk.IV

Spoiler
[close]

WTH that's a nice ship! ;D

nice 2D draft from you to begin with.
Spoiler
[close]
Fleet construction in progress.

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: June 19, 2013, 07:29:11 AM »

well the one i gave you was horrible and in a sad shape, i'm glad you're making it look like a ship. ;D

maximilianyuen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: June 19, 2013, 07:42:16 AM »

without your draft your 2km ship may end up like this XD

Spoiler
[close]

Pelly

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1700 on: June 19, 2013, 07:57:36 AM »

Oh I knew I recognized the ship shape, its that anime sword one you showed us in the skype chat a while back :D

maximilianyuen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: June 19, 2013, 09:19:02 AM »

Oh I knew I recognized the ship shape, its that anime sword one you showed us in the skype chat a while back :D
whats that?

anyway so the ship should add extra booster and make the edge thinner? lol

Gee

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: June 19, 2013, 01:13:26 PM »

So... first time I've made a sprite... :P

Not really sure what more to do with it to be honest - general outline is that it's a destroyer class (350 pixels) - wanted to go from a mash up between Tri-T and Heg look and feel, almost as if it's been made from two designs.

[attachment deleted by admin]

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: June 19, 2013, 01:41:49 PM »

Welcome!

If you'd like critique:

Spoiler
First off, thanks for sharing your art with us.  This is not a bad piece, keep trying things and improving!

Anyhow, here's some critique.

1.  I can see that you had trouble figuring out how to do the layout and structure.

It's easier to start large and block out the main shapes and lighting and the main panel lines using airbrush and so forth on a really big sprite, then move to pixel-paint for the final details when the lighting, shapes and colors look reasonable. 

I get the sense from certain details that you started with a 3D render and then tried to detail it.  Unless you're going to do as much detail as maximilianyuen does, that approach doesn't work very well, because if you aren't an excellent painter it's hard to avoid perspective problems and lighting inconsistencies.  Even then, a piece like this requires a huge amount of pixel-art cleanup to look good.

2.  Use Sharpen (or Smart Sharpen, if you use Photoshop and know what to do with it) to adjust your final version.  What you've got looked quite a bit better after just a simple Sharpen stage.

3.  The "metallic panels" on the back are something I'd have skipped, personally.  The one in the center makes the relative height of the back indeterminate because it is lit the opposite of the rest of the slope, the ones on the back engines don't fit and are fuzzy edged, which I don't think works.
[close]
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Arumac

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: June 19, 2013, 05:01:35 PM »

So... first time I've made a sprite... :P

Not really sure what more to do with it to be honest - general outline is that it's a destroyer class (350 pixels) - wanted to go from a mash up between Tri-T and Heg look and feel, almost as if it's been made from two designs.

Hi,

First thing I noticed immediately is that the contrast isn't there yet. Depending on the program you're using, you could possibly adjust the levels to make the dark colors darker and lights lighter. However, I'd save that for last, as if you're like me, when you're painting things or fiddling around manually with the graphics you don't darken and lighten things as far as you should.

I like the shape of the ship, it's unique and not one of those "Aww yea it's a giant doom ship" things that people always seem to be making. You can add depth to your ship by shadowing around the outer edges a bit, the softer the shadow, the smoother and more rounded the surface, the sharper the shadow, the sharper the surface.

I like the coloring of the ship, I wouldn't change any of that.

I hope this critique helps, I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: June 19, 2013, 08:52:03 PM »

Silent Raven  Credits to Thule and David, this was basically just a quickie rework:

Xeno's Mod Pack

maximilianyuen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: June 19, 2013, 10:26:58 PM »

Silent Raven  Credits to Thule and David, this was basically just a quickie rework:

nice, only suggestion would be the vertically flip either left or right nav light extension...kinda strange now they are looks exactly the same module but not coherence

Gee

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: June 19, 2013, 10:50:21 PM »

Thanks guys - actually really helpful!

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: June 19, 2013, 10:59:59 PM »

@maximilianyuen:  I'll try that.  Funny how a few pixels like that can throw balance off sometimes :)

@Gee:  Glad that helped, doing pixel art like this is a little tricky at first :)

Tried out another method to speed-paint ships from scratch tonight, so here's the Maxim:

Xeno's Mod Pack

maximilianyuen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: June 20, 2013, 12:37:05 PM »

@maximilianyuen:  I'll try that.  Funny how a few pixels like that can throw balance off sometimes :)

@Gee:  Glad that helped, doing pixel art like this is a little tricky at first :)

Tried out another method to speed-paint ships from scratch tonight, so here's the Maxim:

probably just i am being paranoid  ;D
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 482