Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 474 475 [476] 477 478 ... 482

Author Topic: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]  (Read 2222231 times)

Drokkath

• Captain
  • Xenophilic Mutant Commando
    • View Profile
Re: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]
« Reply #7125 on: January 16, 2018, 07:14:56 AM »

reverse-engineered gust.

It is awesome. Although the replaced/added parts look a bit slightly out of place though due to their rather abrupt difference between the original hull and new parts of the hull. Perhaps pixel inbetween the crossover to the new parts and/or some minor polishing to them to even out the transistion, ought to make it look complete.

I'm speaking of the left side of side of the ship where's capsule part on the front, thermal pulse cannon's area and especially the bridge in particular as those are the areas in my eyes that feel like something to improve upon as they look a bit odd when looking at them zoomed out. Everything else about the reverse-engineered Gust looks plain awesome in such a way that I felt necessary to comment on it because it looks like worthy of some more care put into it for sure.

For I dipt in to the future, far as my gazer eye could see; Saw the vision of the world, and all the wonder that would be.

bananana

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7126 on: January 16, 2018, 11:44:57 PM »

It is awesome. Although the replaced/added parts look a bit slightly out of place though due to their rather abrupt difference between the original hull and new parts of the hull. Perhaps pixel inbetween the crossover to the new parts and/or some minor polishing to them to even out the transistion, ought to make it look complete.

I'm speaking of the left side of side of the ship where's capsule part on the front, thermal pulse cannon's area and especially the bridge in particular as those are the areas in my eyes that feel like something to improve upon as they look a bit odd when looking at them zoomed out. Everything else about the reverse-engineered Gust looks plain awesome in such a way that I felt necessary to comment on it because it looks like worthy of some more care put into it for sure.

not sure what you mean by "replaced/added parts". this was kitbashed from scratch, from vanilla sprites entirely. the DA gust was used for size reference only.

i'm still kinda learning how to make those transitions. more used to blocky shapes.

thank you for your kind comment.

changeed a bit, hope it's fore the better.

maybe there should be a separate topic for discarded sprites, like elysium from SRA, or gust from DA.
Any and ALL sprites i ever posted on this forum are FREE to use. even if i'm using them myself. Don't ever, EVER ask for permission, or i will come to your home and EAT YOUR DOG!!!
i do NOT want to see my name appear in the credits section of any published mod and will consider it a personal insult.

Drokkath

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7127 on: January 17, 2018, 08:01:42 AM »

Oh nice! Didn't notice the previous sprite being so bright until now. Other than that the ship certainly has a lot more depth to it now. :)

not sure what you mean by "replaced/added parts".

Erhm.. whoops, that was just me trying to describe parts of the ship that I haven't seen on the now old default Gust before. :-X

EDIT: The rest of the hull is too dark now though, compared the colors between a few core game vessel's. But, meh.. at least I'm able to do bare minimum work with sprites and so changing the hue of colors I can do. Wish I could make sprites of my own instead of having to rely on the works of others.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 09:52:39 PM by Drokkath »
For I dipt in to the future, far as my gazer eye could see; Saw the vision of the world, and all the wonder that would be.

MajorTheRed

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7128 on: February 09, 2018, 01:12:05 PM »

Two new ships !

New midline battlecarrier for the PL

No, its name is not "Manta", and no, it doen't have Manoeuvring Jets...

And the pride of the Knights of Ludd, coming with a fortress shield :

Not completly satisfy, the cruiser will probably get a green coat, and the Triumph battlecarrier will need some tweaks to break horizontal limits.

Drokkath

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7129 on: February 09, 2018, 02:08:02 PM »

Now that is a properly weaponized Colossus (IMHO)!

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7130 on: February 09, 2018, 03:14:20 PM »

Some cool concepts. The midline thing looks a bit messy still, definitely needs some cleanup, and those wings perhaps need a little more disparity between the leading and trailing edges.

As for the Luddic, Colossus-derived ship, looks cool, but... Fortress shield? Really?  ??? Might be a few tech levels too high for the Church. I'd go with Damper Field, Accelerated Ammo Feeder, or Burn Drive (the usual low-tech fallbacks) or create a custom defensive system if you need one. But Fortress Shield would not synergize well.

King Alfonzo

• Admiral
  • -- D O C T O R --
    • View Profile
« Reply #7131 on: February 09, 2018, 05:39:20 PM »

A good effort thus far, but there's some stuff that annoys me:

The regions in red have too much contrast between the 'edges' of the plates and the middle of the plates themselves. If the edges were brought close in colour to the plate, or the plate brought closer to the edge colour, it wouldn't look as glaring. I feel this is a problem at the core of the ship - the edges of the armour plating is too harsh, making the ship look like it's been cut and pasted. The regions in orange have a weird geometry or shading that gives the ship a weird geometry in these regions. You might have to repaint these regions to make more geometric sense.

The large turret in green needs to have a better base which either greebles into the rest of the ship, or is a discrete armour plate. Right now it feels like it's been plopped onto the ship rather haphazardly, and it's hard to figure out how high it is on the ship. Specifically - is it underneath the armour around it? Is it above the armour around it? Are the greebles on the same level as it, above it, or below it? Right now it needs to be 'fit' into the ship.

The centre of the colossus in Blue needs some work on the geometry of that fortress shield generator. Right now it feels both curved out of the centre, while also sitting inside it, giving it a really weird look. Adding some more shading in the gaps of the generator, while also reducing the shading at the edges (See the example to the right - I've made a bit of a hash of it, because now it seems like the middle is floating above the armour, but the shading around the generator is what I mean).

Otherwise the Not-Mega-Manta is an interesting concept, especially when combined with the twin flight decks. A combat midline carrier does seem to be an interesting entry into the ship catalogue. The Knight Colossus  is definitely a nice and interesting design, although I agree with Axle - a Damper field would probably fit the ship better than a fortress shield.

MajorTheRed

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7132 on: February 09, 2018, 06:09:14 PM »

@AxleMC131 and King Alfonzo:
Haha you two are quite difficult reviewers, I wasn't expecting anything less in fact. You sure have an eye to see all little mistakes  :D
King Alfonzo you point out the step where I am currently stuck and learning : making 3D look in a 2D sprite. It translates in shadow and contrastes problems in the sprite. My other error was to mostly take part from the old conquest, which I think was already "messy" as you say (and was probably the reason why David re-painted it...).
Thanks for having taking time to comment!  :)

For the concept of the Ludd cruiser, I wanted a ship which protect the rest of the fleet (like a knight). The ship has a pretty good all-around coverage and its shield can, well, shields other ships. I imagine Ludd engineers as the Adeptus Mechanicus, maybe seeing the Fortress shield as some kind of relic. In fact I was tired of the over-abuse of burn drive, fast ammo and damper field for low-tech ships when high-tech ships have a bazillion system options. I might give a try to create a new ship system.

King Alfonzo

• Admiral
  • -- D O C T O R --
    • View Profile
« Reply #7133 on: February 09, 2018, 09:57:08 PM »

I imagine Ludd engineers as the Adeptus Mechanicus, maybe seeing the Fortress shield as some kind of relic.

Not really - the Ludd's are Anti Adeptus Mechanicus. They HATE technology, believing that they are the source of all society's ills. Their ships are ramshackle and basic. Imagine less techno monks who believe the strange technology is magical, and more insurgent fighters who attach a machine gun to the back of a four by four.

Although, if you were going for that sort of fleet protection thing, have you tried making the shield centre at the back of the vessel, giving the ship a wide shield arc, and blocking the omni shield hullmod? That way the shield is very wide and can cover other ships. Maybe.

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7134 on: February 17, 2018, 01:47:30 PM »

I was digging around in some old files and found some spaceship sprites I created almost exactly 10 years ago and figured I'd share them to show that hey, we all start somewhere!

Feel free to judge these. (And feel free to use them for whatever you like if that's really something you feel like doing.)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #7135 on: February 17, 2018, 03:50:55 PM »

Interesting.

Drokkath

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7136 on: February 17, 2018, 06:59:20 PM »

The middle red one stands out the most to me, not because of the obvious red color but due to its details, shading and weathered but clear look. Kinda looks like a flying beetle-bug of sorts, I like it.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 07:01:07 PM by Drokkath »

DMinatrix

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7137 on: February 27, 2018, 11:20:26 AM »

Hey everyone!  I've been admiring all these sprites you all are putting out and I'm looking into trying my hand at some sprite work; I'm wondering which application seems to be most popular/ easy to use for this purpose.  I'm on mac and I've done some research and found that some people have recommended GIMP or Photoshop as an easy access point but I was curious what you all seem to use?
Hegemony: Lawful Neutral
Tri-Tachyon: Lawful Evil
Luddic Path: Chaotic Evil
Persean League: Neutral Good
Luddic Church: Lawful Good
Pirates: Neutral Evil
Independents: Neutral

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #7138 on: February 27, 2018, 11:34:04 AM »

Photoshop is as good as it gets, then there are Krita and (I heard good things about) Affinity, and finally Gimp.

Bastion.Systems

• Captain
  • Special Circumstances LCU
    • View Profile
« Reply #7139 on: February 27, 2018, 02:34:08 PM »

Krita is good (and free!) but Photoshop beats the opposition just due to the amount of tutorials and community content it has.
Pages: 1 ... 474 475 [476] 477 478 ... 482