Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 470 471 [472] 473 474 ... 482

Author Topic: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]  (Read 2224164 times)

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
Re: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]
« Reply #7065 on: September 15, 2017, 07:32:10 PM »

Would you mind give some details about what is wrong in the Destroyer? As a guess I would say it's something with the medium mount, and the flight deck, but not sure

Saying "what is wrong" is a bit iffy because with the concept and general hull design, everything's fine. But the kitbash isn't very well painted. There's a ton more room for smoothing and cleaning up of armour sections, and there are some sharp angles where (for instance) the hangar bay and the medium hardpoint meet the front part of the hull... Also the bit alongside the bridge where the reactor is, looks like it should be a white to match the bridge, rather than the high-tech armour blue. And the very front small hardpoint looks very alone, almost like it was stuck there as an afterthought - maybe try shifting it back a bit to integrate it into the rest of the hull a bit more smoothly?

Oh, and it's also incredibly obvious where the bridge comes from. Believe me, I made a similar sort of 'bash and one of the problems with it was that I didn't do a lot to the bridge, making it look poorly made. Try throwing in some sections of white from some high-tech frigates, or slices of the Paragon's bridge perhaps, and you'll find it looks way more subtle.

And finally, I would really love to weather the pirate cruiser, but I've absolutely no ideas how to do it... Blending options in photoshop?

Beats me, I don't use Photoshop.  :-[ Though I've been told frequently to make stuff look better with blending, so go for it. Take a look at some of the stock D-hull sprites compared to their regular sprites for instance, and see how they've been dirtied-up to look weathered and damaged.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 07:36:15 PM by AxleMC131 »

MajorTheRed

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7066 on: September 16, 2017, 10:14:30 AM »

OK, I've followed your adviced. Now I understand what you meaned about the High-tech destroyer, there was a really lack of uniformity and blending between part. I tried to upgrade it. The bridge is not pefect but does the job, and I use the opportunity to highlight the "combat freighter" purpose.

The pirate cruiser is much more uniform and not mashup now. COuld probably still use more weathering.

Takion Kasukedo

• Admiral
  • No longer drinking (Alcohol that is)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7067 on: September 17, 2017, 04:57:17 AM »

OK, I've followed your adviced. Now I understand what you meaned about the High-tech destroyer, there was a really lack of uniformity and blending between part. I tried to upgrade it. The bridge is not pefect but does the job, and I use the opportunity to highlight the "combat freighter" purpose.

The pirate cruiser is much more uniform and not mashup now. COuld probably still use more weathering.

I think someone called "Rogan 'Lightning' McRee" is going to main that combat freighter.

That Low-Tech falcon lookalike is looking damn fine though, as well as thehigh-tech support destroyer's bridge being not-so-obvious now.
Is now able to cook a decent Creamy Salmon Pasta, amok other things.

Still loves purple. Still not skilled enough to make a mod that doesn't get that one damn error.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7068 on: September 21, 2017, 08:46:12 PM »

The Pelagic; the Explorer Society's answer to the Lasher.  Theoretically over-gunned with Synergy mounts up front, but weak on defensive power and Flux stats, the Pelagic's a mobile kiter, not a pitbull.

The Ferdinand is very literally a "gunship"; it's built around a single, heavy gun on a centerline mount.  Speedy, but fragile, it's designed to selectively kill and leave.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 12:43:29 AM by xenoargh »
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

bananana

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7069 on: September 25, 2017, 03:26:04 AM »

did some things, available in sprite dump...

high tech falcon, maybe?

Vice rip-off, maybe?

Spoiler
[close]
Atlantis II submersible carrier, maybe?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 06:12:38 AM by passwalker »
Any and ALL sprites i ever posted on this forum are FREE to use. even if i'm using them myself. Don't ever, EVER ask for permission, or i will come to your home and EAT YOUR DOG!!!
i do NOT want to see my name appear in the credits section of any published mod and will consider it a personal insult.

Takion Kasukedo

• Admiral
  • No longer drinking (Alcohol that is)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7070 on: September 25, 2017, 11:31:49 AM »

Spoiler
[close]
Atlantis II submersible carrier, maybe?

The ship looks like it may have too many phase coils, why not just resize and redecorate the phase coils of the ship into a double or singular, but massive phase coil that looks like it may benefit from being far more powerful than one could perceive from something that looks like a pirate ship.

I do like how on the wings, the hardpoints are colored like the ship (it looks like something special may be placed there.)

I'm thinking that the phase coil is going to glow red, then fade to a dim grey color so the ship is harder to see while it moves. Could indicate possible potential.

Of course, this is your choice as you did do the sprite.
Is now able to cook a decent Creamy Salmon Pasta, amok other things.

Still loves purple. Still not skilled enough to make a mod that doesn't get that one damn error.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7071 on: September 25, 2017, 11:47:05 AM »

I like all three of those.  I might take that high-tech Falcon and give it a little pass to add a few asymmetric touches here and there :)
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

bananana

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7072 on: September 27, 2017, 11:44:27 PM »

Any and ALL sprites i ever posted on this forum are FREE to use. even if i'm using them myself. Don't ever, EVER ask for permission, or i will come to your home and EAT YOUR DOG!!!
i do NOT want to see my name appear in the credits section of any published mod and will consider it a personal insult.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7073 on: September 28, 2017, 01:39:19 AM »

Althaea

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7074 on: September 28, 2017, 01:52:20 AM »

Or, in other words, a Noon!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 01:58:37 AM by alguLoD »

Drokkath

• Captain
  • Xenophilic Mutant Commando
    • View Profile
« Reply #7075 on: September 28, 2017, 02:36:02 AM »

That ship sure does not only just look interesting and pretty but also useful to me. It has enough necessary mounts to fire a frontal barrage of something fierce, nice work Passwalker! 8)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 02:39:16 AM by Drokkath »
For I dipt in to the future, far as my gazer eye could see; Saw the vision of the world, and all the wonder that would be.

bananana

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7076 on: September 28, 2017, 03:12:53 AM »

nice work Passwalker! 8)
glad to be useful

Drokkath

• Captain
  • Xenophilic Mutant Commando
    • View Profile
« Reply #7077 on: September 28, 2017, 10:53:35 AM »

Perhaps not the best choice of words, 'scuse me. :D I merely imagined what role the ship might have in-game and saw it as something I'd fly around with.
That ship along with "Vice rip-off" ship are both what have capture my gaze in a positive way the most here quite recently.
For I dipt in to the future, far as my gazer eye could see; Saw the vision of the world, and all the wonder that would be.

MajorTheRed

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7078 on: October 02, 2017, 08:11:55 PM »

Still trying to learn the art of spriting. I've made a bunch of luddic church ships to give them some personnality. Was a great way to learn to work with color layers and all this stuff :

First a defense frigate, an heavy conversion of the Hound:

Then a Missile destroyer based on the Enforcer:

A conversion of the Tarsus to a fire support destroyer:

Finally, a balanced light frigate for the Persean League

Obviously they still need some work. The medium frigates lacks contrasts, the luddic frigate is too green (even if its closely match to colors of the vanilla luddic lasher). The ENforcer is rather blend, but I'm quite proud of the Tarsus conversion.

King Alfonzo

• Admiral
  • -- D O C T O R --
    • View Profile
« Reply #7079 on: October 02, 2017, 10:45:52 PM »

Still trying to learn the art of spriting. I've made a bunch of luddic church ships to give them some personnality. Was a great way to learn to work with color layers and all this stuff :

First a defense frigate, an heavy conversion of the Hound:

Pretty good basic structure, but it seems in an uncanny valley of either not being 'complete' enough, or not being 'incomplete' enough. Right now it seems too kitbashed, like you've stuck two hounds together in a paint program, not like a ship that has been constructed, or crudely bolted  together. You need more armour plating or greebling throughout to make it seem like a whole unit; maybe grab some stuff from the Brawler.

Then a Missile destroyer based on the Enforcer:

A conversion of the Tarsus to a fire support destroyer:

These are pretty cool. The Enforcer (M) needs a bit of greebling around the medium missile mounts though. Further, the long arm of the Tarsus needs some more greebling or needs to be a bit darker on that little triangle of armour. Both could use a little bit of dirtying up a little bit.

Finally, a balanced light frigate for the Persean League

Very reminiscent of the Tempest cross the Wren. Needs more height, visually, and better greebling, but shaping up to be a pretty nice ship.
Pages: 1 ... 470 471 [472] 473 474 ... 482