Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 432 433 [434] 435 436 ... 482

Author Topic: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]  (Read 2211117 times)

Beobachter

• Ensign
  • Balancing? What is that?
    • View Profile
Re: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]
« Reply #6495 on: November 21, 2016, 11:55:49 AM »

Could I have some feedback on this design?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 12:13:21 PM by Beobachter »
Putting together a mod sometime in the distant future.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6496 on: November 21, 2016, 12:43:31 PM »

Needs a bit of cleanup in front of the forward hardpoint (see all those pixels just floating in space there?), and there's a couple of places where the kitbashing of a segment blends too far towards black - for example, from the right side of that forward hardpoint there's a jagged line going down until just past the medium turret; that's overly dark and makes it look like the right and left sides of the hull belong to different ships.  Similarly, the right side of the bridge doesn't feel connected to the rest of the hull.  A few other places, but those are the big ones.

As for the actual hull design: looks interesting - feels a bit like a mid-tech Aurora, with its asymmetrical and awkward turret locations.  And you've successfully avoided the common mistake of putting in too many weapon slots for the ship's size.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6497 on: November 21, 2016, 12:53:19 PM »

You didn't picked the easiest design for a first sprite. Asymmetrical ships tends to be more work, especially big ones.

1 : Some pixel cleanup is needed here. Also some bright pixels here and there all around the ship edges.

2 : Weird, black spots that shouldn't be there.

3 : Probably not the most appropriate part to put there. Tartiflette's "naked" Conquest/Eagle have interesting armor plates to borrow from.

4 : Strange, greeble "holes" that looks out of place. Then again, the kitbash database have what you need to fill these.

5 : The Paragon's high-tech rear clash pretty hard with the rest of the more mid-tech ship. You'll probably get better results by borrowing from another mid-tech ship, the Odyssey could maybe work too.

But yeah, that's a big ship, harder to get it right. The whole shape is an interesting idea though.

Edit : Ninja'd by Wyvern.

Beobachter

• Ensign
  • Balancing? What is that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6498 on: November 23, 2016, 03:00:09 PM »

More mediocre things, sorted by size:
Frigate/Corvettes:
Spoiler

- feels too generic

[close]
Destroyer:
Spoiler
- again, feels too symmetrical/generic
[close]
Cruiser:
Spoiler
- rework of last post, not sure about quality still. Will agree that hiding more of the greebles helped.
[close]
Putting together a mod sometime in the distant future.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6499 on: November 23, 2016, 03:14:00 PM »

Frigates:
Frigate #1 has a sharp black line behind its bridge; that should probably be softened some.
Frigate #2 is looks pretty good to me, though it's maybe a bit flat - see if you can use some of the color style from the front right wing of #1 here?
Frigate #3 has this sorta white blob that kinda looks like it was supposed to be either a bridge (in which case it shouldn't be tucked under the panel in front of it) or a fuel tank (in which case it ought to be red and where's the bridge?)

Destroyer:
Just to the left/right of the bridge are some really dark spots; those should be softened some.
And the blue arc towards the rear looks out of place - try yellow like the bridge lights maybe?

Cruiser:
The area just forward of the medium turret looked better before, imo.
There are some overly dark lines just to the right of the medium turret, a few diagonals between the two large turrets, and the front-left side of the bridge plus the right side of the bridge support structure.
There's a weird-looking white spot just aft of the rear large turret.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

DrakonST

• Captain
  • Lizard-Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6500 on: December 05, 2016, 07:59:53 AM »

New portrait of a lizard.
I a Russian. And i communicate with the help of Promt Translate. And I am a color-blind person.

The2nd

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6501 on: December 05, 2016, 02:41:43 PM »

@Beobachter

I fear I'm not able to give much useful feedback. I just post because I fell in love with that destroyer at first sight. Symmetrical isn't bad and I don't think it looks generic at all. I also disagree with Wyvern that the blue arc looks out of place. It gives the ship a mixed high tech vibe. Mostly Midline but with a strong reactor to power that large hardpoint. 

Love it as it is, my only suggestion is to enlarge the midsection a bit upwards so it looks sleeker?

@Drakon
The skin is too smooth, I barely see the scales.

biotic

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6502 on: December 21, 2016, 09:58:09 AM »

Hello,

Looking for feedback for this sprite.

King Alfonzo

• Admiral
  • -- D O C T O R --
    • View Profile
« Reply #6503 on: December 21, 2016, 03:12:34 PM »

It looks great, it just needs to be a tiny bit darker (except the 'torpedo pods' under the wings, those are fine), use a tiny bit more contrast, maybe tweak the grey a tiiiiiny hint of a bit towards a colour (like yellow, maybe blue?) and get a bit of smoothing on the 'nose' of the ship. Right now it looks too light and the nose looks too blocky - maye just give a light dab with a smoothing tool, or put some mid-alpha pixels  in there to smooth it out. Depending on what kind of ship it is, you might also want to put scratches and dirt on it, or consider making the hull greebles more 3D by making them look a smidge thicker. On the whole though it looks pretty good.

gruberscomplete

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6504 on: December 24, 2016, 09:26:57 AM »

Reworked a bunch of the ships from my old mod.

Here is the current fighter lineup:

some ships:

Should I finish my old mod (deadly fighters) with these graphics?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 11:21:26 AM by gruberscomplete »
Click here for FREE ships!               Plentysector               Robots With Souls

DestinyPlayer

• Ensign
  • A passing by person
    • View Profile
« Reply #6505 on: December 24, 2016, 03:23:51 PM »

I'd say that with the bottom right ship, the space behind the bridge needs something to fill it. It feels way too empty. Also probably something in front of the big turret mounts, in these half circles.

gruberscomplete

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6506 on: December 24, 2016, 06:12:58 PM »

I'd say that with the bottom right ship, the space behind the bridge needs something to fill it. It feels way too empty. Also probably something in front of the big turret mounts, in these half circles.

Hows this?

New                                  Original
Click here for FREE ships!               Plentysector               Robots With Souls

Takion Kasukedo

• Admiral
  • No longer drinking (Alcohol that is)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6507 on: December 24, 2016, 10:33:36 PM »

Hows this?

New                                  Original

Hey that looks pretty much similar to what he may be thinking of. This is good news :)
Is now able to cook a decent Creamy Salmon Pasta, amok other things.

Still loves purple. Still not skilled enough to make a mod that doesn't get that one damn error.

King Alfonzo

• Admiral
  • -- D O C T O R --
    • View Profile
« Reply #6508 on: December 25, 2016, 04:41:13 PM »

Hows this?

New                                  Original

The colour is too bright and too flat still. I think you need to use hue and turn down the saturation a bit and make it a smidge darker. Also the straight lines on the shield generators is pretty bad - maybe make it rounder to fit in with the large weapon mounts? Also a bit of shading under the 'bride' at the back to help give the ship 'height'.

King Alfonzo

• Admiral
  • -- D O C T O R --
    • View Profile
« Reply #6509 on: December 27, 2016, 09:27:19 PM »

Decided to start having a stab at portraits traced artfully derived from my Idea Pictures folder, for Starsector, for My Own Purposes. Started out something simple: masks. I can imagine these ones popping up in CABAL, pirate and Tritachyon fleets (a la The Purge). Additionally Silhouettes for Tritachyon and Hegemony for a bit of ominous pezazz, and Gendo, because NGO brings in Fuyutsuki, so why not Gendo?

Thoughts? Critiques?

PS: HEGEMONY STRONK

Pages: 1 ... 432 433 [434] 435 436 ... 482