Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 403 404 [405] 406 407 ... 482

Author Topic: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]  (Read 2225192 times)

Zudgemud

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]
« Reply #6060 on: January 03, 2016, 04:30:01 AM »

I have very bad imagination and i have a very good weapon:
This is a mine who if ennemi is near, he attack (very random) this ship. And when this mine is dead, you regen 1 ammo. (Three ammo, no ammo regen) , mine have long duration. He is a missile. If ennemi touch this mine, just explode, ah ah. (I have not reason create a ship for replace mine, i think)
For the moment i have this mount:

And this mine:

Effect:(gif)
Spoiler

[close]

I search better design, but i have not idea what >< .  Thank you for your help.

Looks like a really cool concept :)

StarSchulz

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6061 on: January 03, 2016, 10:21:20 PM »

WIP for the mod i am slowly creating:

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

The engines, extra armor, and weapons are things that have been mounted as extra to what is basically a UFO saucer type ship that pirates could not get up and running. it is and will be literally a flying armored disk that some goofballs attached weapons to. [ for the purposes of lore, that ship -WAS- a shuttle class ship for the original owner. but pirates have better ideas ] I haven't added weapon mounts quite yet, but they will be added where the two armored plates are. not sure whether to scale this down to a corvette or keep it as a frigate.

How do you guys do the shading? i made that in paint.net, so the ship and armor/engines are on different layers.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 10:24:36 PM by StarSchulz »

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
« Reply #6062 on: January 03, 2016, 11:50:48 PM »

I have very bad imagination and i have a very good weapon:
This is a mine who if ennemi is near, he attack (very random) this ship. And when this mine is dead, you regen 1 ammo. (Three ammo, no ammo regen) , mine have long duration. He is a missile. If ennemi touch this mine, just explode, ah ah. (I have not reason create a ship for replace mine, i think)
For the moment i have this mount:

And this mine:

Effect:(gif)
Spoiler

[close]

I search better design, but i have not idea what >< .  Thank you for your help.

1. Slower mine travel speed, and maybe acceleration/deceleration to make movement less awckward
2. For mine spriting, refer to the colouring of Pirahna bomb. And... a flashing red dot might make it look more dangerous.

Snrasha

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6063 on: January 04, 2016, 01:30:43 AM »

A think use this sprite for this mine "semi" turret (not a spawn ship)
Spoiler

[close]
1. Slower mine travel speed, and maybe acceleration/deceleration to make movement less awckward
2. For mine spriting, refer to the colouring of Pirahna bomb. And... a flashing red dot might make it look more dangerous.
1:This is not hard for my mine turret because he do not move, but it is more hard for my detect mine.
2:Yes, think, i go add this flashing red, just find where active this flashing red for a bip bip bip effect.
I have also just a mine who detect ennemi in range and active engine.
Spoiler

[close]

The most hard: create weapon, not projectile, ah ah.

My idea(not sprite):
Spoiler
I have a capital ship who have this three special weapon. I have create capital ship( ugly, but it is good for me), put all weapons, all functionnals. Very dangerous because same without shield, a wall of missiles( My faction have only homing missiles, ah ah) protect my ship(A shoot of a large weapon destroy easy my capital ship) . And, with weapon who spawn turret, if this is this ship, spawn wings <3 .  And this travel speed is very good for this huge ship, i think... but yes for small ship....
[close]
I need find better weapon sprite because, but except this sprite weapon with reload ammo effect, i have not find >< . Maybe in subject where we can find no allowed sprite...
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 01:32:52 AM by Snrasha »
I am pretty bad on english. So, sorry in advance.

Gladiator Society
Add battle options on Com Relay/ Framework for modders for add their own bounty.

Sanguinary Autonomist Defectors A fan-mod of Shadowyard.

star_sektor

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6064 on: January 06, 2016, 07:19:19 PM »

Not sure if I should put this here but the thread said "non-sprite art allowed" so I'll just put it here.

(obviously WIP)
Spriting a capital ship? Ain't no one got time fo dat

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
« Reply #6065 on: January 06, 2016, 09:34:09 PM »

Not sure if I should put this here but the thread said "non-sprite art allowed" so I'll just put it here.

(obviously WIP)
A PARAGON!

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6066 on: January 07, 2016, 04:51:08 PM »

I always imagined the Paragon as being taller, but wow you are convincing me otherwise.

Though I got distracted by another creative project over the break, I did do a little bit of spritework.

The Rocksaw Heavy Assault Fighter:

The bare sprite looks a bit odd without the LMG turret and chaingun barrels rendered on top.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 04:58:17 PM by HartLord »

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6067 on: January 08, 2016, 01:06:32 AM »

@Hartlord: that looks frightening. I'd suggest throwing a bolder / sharper highlight on the inside edge of the 'wing' - maybe it looks a bit soft (being a bit picky, perhaps).

Drawing some new portraits for Junk Pirates ...

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

kazi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6068 on: January 08, 2016, 02:37:17 PM »

I highly recommend working from a reference mendonca for at least the general facial shapes. Even though I can draw a okay-ish person without aid, having a reference somehow makes my stuff at bit more realistic and help avoid the "uncanny valley" problem.

For lighting and coloring, I recommend not using pure white as a highlight color and tone down the ridges in the face. It's incredibly tough to use when just painting (works decent in layers set to soft/hard light though). Start with a skin tone that works as a "normal looking" skin tone and then add other colors/shading from there. And if in doubt, do all of your stuff in an extra layer on top, then merge down once you have something you like. Add colored lighting/highlights at the very end or at least in a new layer on top of everything.

Also, they need clothes.

Middle portrait is by far and away the best one.

Lcu

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6069 on: January 08, 2016, 02:59:22 PM »

May i ask the opinion on how does everyone draw ships here? Do you work on large images then shrink it down, or work on the original size instead?
Spoiler
Ctrl+F, type 6
[close]

StarSchulz

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6070 on: January 08, 2016, 03:31:15 PM »

For fighters i start with the most important part of the ship and just go from there, since they are so small i don't bother with the resizing. But with anything else it seems that making a larger version and then shrinking it down is very helpful for the early stages.

FlashFrozen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6071 on: January 08, 2016, 03:57:50 PM »

I do 1:1 so the final proportions are always a bit off :V

StarSchulz

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6072 on: January 08, 2016, 04:21:02 PM »

Funny how i just said i make larger images first, while the thing i have been working on was drawn by hand, and not a scaled down version. oops! Making half of the image and then mirroring it helps a ton, though.

Spoiler
[close]

I still don't know what i should use to shade it with, but i like where it is going.

Lucian Greymark

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6073 on: January 08, 2016, 06:49:41 PM »

I always draw 1:1 scale I constantly find that shrinking ships makes them lose their sharpness and I end up having to go over most of the work trying to get that back anyway. It's much more efficient just to draw at a pixel scale.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6074 on: January 08, 2016, 10:45:08 PM »

I do 1:1, but since I'm working in Illustrator it's a different sort of question, because it's only '1:1' as long as I have Pixel Preview turned on.

If I were painting (and the next mod I do, I think I'll paint, just for a change of pace), I'd probably work at 4:1 or 2:1 and use Nearest Neighbor resizing to make a rough, and then clean it up, add detailing, etc. at 1:1.
Pages: 1 ... 403 404 [405] 406 407 ... 482